Well then thats all the 100s and 200s off the road

nissannewby
27th January 2016, 12:34 PM
Well then thats all the 100s and 200s off the road

And any patrol with barwork.

the evil twin
27th January 2016, 03:12 PM
And any patrol with barwork.

Only if you also have someone in the vehicle and fuel in the tank :-)

Lemo79
29th January 2016, 04:49 PM
We had them out here in the Central West a couple of years ago checking trailers. It was just a highway patrol vehicle pulling up randomly. There where a lot of over weight tradies trailers got done. But never heard of them weighing any vehicles.

the evil twin
29th January 2016, 06:34 PM
Yeah, the mermaids here usually only blitz for overweight Trailers and some of them are awesomely overweight IE up over 1200 KG on an unbraked, single safety chain '750' KG' trailer.

They might do a vehicle check if your truck looks way overloaded maybe but I haven't seen it personally

04OFF
30th January 2016, 01:03 PM
Yeh, its sad when you own a modified/set up patrol and actually put it on the scales, then realize just how little added weight will get you up to your legal GVM.

I only checked mine after i heard DOT set up scales at inskip point, so "every" vehicle got weighed that was catching the barge over to Fraser, caravans, boats, trailers, i doubt many people going with stuff for 7 days or longer, would come in way under GVM.

I S#*t myself not long after hearing this, when on my trip to Fraser, at the entry to the beach ferry point at inskip, i saw many men in Reflective vests all set up at the end of the bitumen, watching them from a distance, they appeared to stop every car, turns out it was just men collecting donations for the Surf Life Savers :fish:

Irish
31st January 2016, 06:36 AM
I thought if they suspected you were over GVM they'd just make you go to a public weighbridge.

Have never heard of em having a portable scales, that would take forever to set up properly. You'd have all kinds of issues with levelling and calibrating it on the side of the road.

There's a public weighbridge at the BP on Eastlink in Melbourne, I should run the Maverick through it and see what it says.

the evil twin
31st January 2016, 12:28 PM
snip...
Have never heard of em having a portable scales, that would take forever to set up properly. You'd have all kinds of issues with levelling and calibrating it on the side of the road.

Nah...
They have had portable scales for decades, hence the nick name 'scaleys' (which quickly became 'mermaids').

The equipment takes bugger all time to set up and they can weigh wheel x wheel, axle group x axle group or the whole rig.
The gear is very accurate and is more than sufficient for evidence in the courts.
In some cases it is better than a weighbridge

https://www.google.com.au/search?biw=1210&bih=919&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=portable+truck+scales&oq=truck+scales&gs_l=img.1.5.0j0i7i30l3j0i30j0i5i30l5.90794.91349. 0.97331.2.2.0.0.0.0.264.521.2-2.2.0....0...1c.1.64.img..0.2.521.Uf8Coi33puE

Hodge
31st January 2016, 05:56 PM
Quiet often used by guys maintaining our tower bucket fleet. 4 or 6 scales, depending on axle numbers, one master and the rest are slaves.
It then calculates weight in some way and is pretty accurate. The blokes just slide them out of the van, and place them on the floor and all are wireless battery powered. Would not surprise me one bit if cops carried these around, for cars or 4x4s.

Pretty scary, what's a GU Y61 Wagon, 3080kg from memory ... kerb weight is just under 2500kg. Geez... Bullbar, winch, cargo barrier, rack, steel rims, and bigger tyres... Probably close to or over without me or ANY camping gear loaded. lol

Irish
2nd February 2016, 03:57 PM
Nah...
They have had portable scales for decades, hence the nick name 'scaleys' (which quickly became 'mermaids').

The equipment takes bugger all time to set up and they can weigh wheel x wheel, axle group x axle group or the whole rig.
The gear is very accurate and is more than sufficient for evidence in the courts.
In some cases it is better than a weighbridge

https://www.google.com.au/search?biw=1210&bih=919&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=portable+truck+scales&oq=truck+scales&gs_l=img.1.5.0j0i7i30l3j0i30j0i5i30l5.90794.91349. 0.97331.2.2.0.0.0.0.264.521.2-2.2.0....0...1c.1.64.img..0.2.521.Uf8Coi33puE

I stand corrected! :-)

I've been here(Aus)for over 10yrs and have never heard of it til this thread, far out. where have I been hiding? hahaha.