PDA

View Full Version : My Patrol wont Accelerate

Caledwvech
23rd January 2016, 08:54 AM
Hey Guys,

I seem to have an issue with my Patrol and just wondering if anyone has any advice on what it may be...

I have the 2002 4.8L Petrol Wagon with auto box. It's done 199,700km. Yesterday when I went to work I noticed that it was idling a tad low (enough to make it shake just a little). It didn't concern me that much as I have it booked in for it's 200,000 service and thought I would just get them to have a look at it when they did that. However when I went to go home from work, I noticed that the engine light was on. Then when I went to accelerate nothing happened. I put my foot down and it revs to a max of 1500rpm. Essentially just a little more than idle. Nothing I could do would change that.

Now, I am the first to acknowledge that I am not that mechanically minded. I love my baby (I call her Natalie), but when it comes to DIY, I can do the simple things, but anything more complicated usually I leave for the mechanic (almost sacrilege on a forum like this I know :(). So I didn't really have a clue. I thought it may be the computer or something, so I tried disconnecting the battery for 30secs or so to see if that may "reset" any weird thing going on, but that didn't work. And apart from that I have no idea. So it's still booked into the service but just wondering if anyone had any ideas of what it may be that I can either try myself or let the mechanic know to check?

Thanks

Bloodyaussie
23rd January 2016, 09:24 AM
Hmmm could be a pump failing. ...

threedogs
23rd January 2016, 09:44 AM
disconnect it for 1/2 hr and see how that goes

Caledwvech
23rd January 2016, 09:49 AM
After speaking to my brother (who is mechanically minded), he reckons that it's gone into limp mode..... Didn't even know this mode existed....

He reckons that you can diagnose the problem and that it's probably electrical. Know someone with a diagnosis tool, so may give that a go.

threedogs
23rd January 2016, 09:59 AM
Super cheap can put a tool on and tell you of any codes, ring first eh to make sure

Clunk
23rd January 2016, 10:24 AM
O2 sensors, or crank angle sensors

Caledwvech
23rd January 2016, 02:35 PM
Yeah, cannot get it to supercheap to get them to check. Plugged my mates one in and it came up with "There are no codes stored in...." Annoying as. And now the car wont start. So unhooked the alarm, unplugged the battery and we will see what the deal is when I go back on Monday morning. May just have to get a car trailer and tow it to the mechanic.

GlenAlp
7th February 2016, 05:14 PM
Hi my name is glen I've got a 02 4.8 patrol had no start put cranked ok ended up key reader mobile auto electric looked at it with scan tool and said ecu but nissan came up with key reader I am on the road again some times bite your teeth the dealer has the codes other's don't have 4 weeks i was of the road and half a day with them it was fixed good luck

Caledwvech
8th February 2016, 10:11 AM
Thanks Glen,

I got the not starting issue sorted. It was apparently an issue with the alarm. I did not find out what was wrong with the limp mode. Thanks threedogs, I left the battery unplugged for the weekend, then when I came back to work on Monday, it was working fine. I plugged a computer reader into the ecu and it said, "There are no codes stored in the module". Weird. Oh well, if it's working, great. Will get it fixed if it happens again and I can figure out what the issue was.

gubigfish
8th February 2016, 11:43 AM
By disconnecting the battery for that amount of time you cleared the computer of any fault codes. If you want to know what caused it plug the diagnosis tool in before disconnecting the battery.

threedogs
8th February 2016, 12:43 PM
Great you have it sorted,,,,,, hope it was something minor
Maybe look at re-doing a few earth straps in your spare time

Caledwvech
9th February 2016, 10:36 AM
Yeah figured my disconnecting the battery had done that. :)

When you say re-do a few earth straps, what do you mean? As part of the attempt to fix the sub tank I made a new earth to the chassis. It's massive. :) Is that what you mean?

threedogs
9th February 2016, 10:48 AM
Where they bolt to either the chassis or body they corrode and cause all kind of problems.
Remove the earth off the battery and give the terminal a clean with a green scourer and inside the
connector as well. Un-do any straps that are bolted to the chassis or body and clean with wet/dry
to get rid of corrosion and back to bare metal, Even run some new ones if you like,,,,,,,