PDA

View Full Version : Off road gear.

Marc Allen
21st January 2016, 09:26 AM
Need some opinions for off road gear that wont be used very often. I dont want to spend a fortune.

Im looking at the Domin8r winch that i can get with a thumper air compressor for $644 delivered. Are these ok?.

Thoughts on Exhaust jacks verses high lift jacks?. Ive heard high lift jacks can be dangerous. Exhaust jack i can use on the camper as well. Any brands preferable?. if exhaust jacks are the way to go then what are the thoughts on the mean mother brand?.

max trax verses tred. Is max trax really worth the extra money?.

Been looking at the ARb premium recovery Kit at about $400. is it worth it or is there a better option?.

Lastly water seperation filters. is the Fuel manager one good or is there a better option.
cheers

threedogs
21st January 2016, 09:34 AM
Exhaust jack for versatility, max track always usefull.
Buy only rated shackles and straps.
Might be cheaper if you buy from a place like Nobles, A rated pulley block also handy
rated snatch strap, a rated tree trunk protector and a rated winch extension strap.
Decent compressor to regain road pressures
Then do a course to obtain the knowledge on how to use it all safely
and never use the TOWBALL as a means to a recovery EVER

You can use your tow bar hitch receiver as a hook up point, some shove the strap up and insert the pin.
but you can also buy products that fit the tow hitch with a shackle in place

Throbbinhood
21st January 2016, 09:53 AM
Get the Runva 11xp winch mate. Lifetime mechanical warranty, 5 year electrical, great customer service when you do need them. $650 i think, with rope.
Myself and a heap of friends have them, and love them. I've used mine over 30 times, never lets me down.

Hodge
21st January 2016, 10:15 AM
X2 on the Runva . Great bit of kit at great price.

Tapatalked from S6

threedogs
21st January 2016, 10:43 AM
Have a bit of a search there should be a huge
list of what is available for off road recovery

JME_GU
21st January 2016, 09:46 PM
x3 for the Runva. I'm not a fan of either the high lift or the exhaust jack. The high lift is a pain to store and tricky to use, the exhaust jack is scary to use unless on flat ground. i keep a cheap trolley jack in the car, it came in a case, you can use it in mud, sand or snow and as long as you can get under a diff it can lift a decent height.

BigRAWesty
22nd January 2016, 05:15 AM
X4 on runva 11xp..
So far my thumper is doing well but be warned they are big..
Exhaust jack is high on my to buy list too.. Mean Mother is getting a good following so I'd be happy to buy one.. all ebay gear is a gamble anyway..
Max v treads.. can't help you.. that's what the winch is for..
$400 for an arb kit is probably a bit over kill but at least you know your buying quality gear..

Father inlaw just fitted a kit which cost fark all..
Come with a very neat bracket and some hosing. It's an 11 micron filter with water catch..
Pretty sure nissan filters are a 5 micron and we do have a water catch but it's not visible..