PDA

View Full Version : Thermo Fan upgrade

justinkme
18th January 2016, 11:11 PM
Hi Guys,

I am just wondering if anyone has upgraded their standard electronic fans, I am having heating issues when I am in idle or off road.... and turns out my fan has shat itself so I am looking at different options

NissanGQ4.2
19th January 2016, 08:16 AM
Hi Matt

Are you referring to replacing the viscous hub fan 2 Thermo fans or you already have Thermo Fans fitted and its no longer working? I wasn't aware that any of the GQ models came out with standard electronic fans.

justinkme
19th January 2016, 09:26 AM
I have replaced the viscous hub and fan, i was talking about the electric fan in front of the radiator that is also used for aircon.

Mungrel
19th January 2016, 12:07 PM
I recently got hold of a large thermo fan off a BMW X5, with the shroud. I'm going to see what's involved In mounting that huge monstrosity in front of the condenser and hooking it up to the normal thermo fan connection so it turns on with the A/C or when the coolant reaches a pre-set temperature. This is on a GU though. Hoping the P/S Cooler isn't in the way. When / if I get round to this I'll post up pics.

threedogs
19th January 2016, 12:13 PM
Hi Guys,

I am just wondering if anyone has upgraded their standard electronic fans, I am having heating issues when I am in idle or off road.... and turns out my fan has shat itself so I am looking at different options

You may find your radiator is blocked in the lower fins from dust and mud from 4x4ing.
Take it down the car wash but dont pull the trigger,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, spray is too aggressive.

justinkme
19th January 2016, 08:06 PM
Sweet cheers for the advice on this

threedogs
20th January 2016, 08:49 AM
Sweet cheers for the advice on this

Only mentioned this as it only gets warm at idle and slow going,

justinkme
20th January 2016, 04:31 PM
Stuipid question in regards to the car wash, completely remove it from the 4wd or just do it there and reconnect and fill up?

Throbbinhood
20th January 2016, 05:21 PM
I normally remove mine at home. Don't think the car wash people would be to fond of me dumping coolant everywhere. That said, it's not my daily so you may not have that option.

JME_GU
20th January 2016, 05:35 PM
I recently got hold of a large thermo fan off a BMW X5, with the shroud. I'm going to see what's involved In mounting that huge monstrosity in front of the condenser and hooking it up to the normal thermo fan connection so it turns on with the A/C or when the coolant reaches a pre-set temperature. This is on a GU though. Hoping the P/S Cooler isn't in the way. When / if I get round to this I'll post up pics.

I know that some of the BMW fans are electronically controlled with soft start and variable speed (some even continue to operate at a very low speed after the engine has been turned off). You may need an electronic controller to use it.

garett
21st January 2016, 07:40 AM
my a/c is running two 10 inch electric fans just generic jobbiees, have trouble getting my engine warm..... runs slightly warmer with ac on. try an AU falcon fan (check it will fit but they were pretty good)

no eye deer
22nd January 2016, 03:09 PM
Davies Craig do an adjustable temp start thermocouple thingie. They're pretty good.

justinkme
28th January 2016, 08:51 PM
thanks for your comments guys, I have hardwired the fan now to work as soon as the GQ is running, it is making some different but this weekend I will be taking the radiator out completely and giving it a good clean

Mungrel
29th January 2016, 10:11 AM
I know that some of the BMW fans are electronically controlled with soft start and variable speed (some even continue to operate at a very low speed after the engine has been turned off). You may need an electronic controller to use it.

Thanks, yeah I know the E46's in particular come with a little module attached.
I haven't had a good look at this X5 one yet, I didn't see a module initially, just 3 pin plug. I'll have a crack at powering it up this weekend.