PDA

View Full Version : Roof bag recomendations.. which one?

foggs
18th January 2016, 03:49 PM
Looking to get a roof bag (approx 1.5x1.1) for the occasional camping trip we do and wondering what people recommend at around $150-$250. Ideally I need it to be waterproof and easily accessible from the side. Collapsible is also a plus.

Happy to hear any other advantages or disadvantages you might have with your ones, as there are plenty on flea bay but not sure about durability.

thanks

Bacho86
18th January 2016, 03:52 PM
Who's going to be first....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mudnut
18th January 2016, 03:54 PM

Apparently you were....

4bye4
18th January 2016, 03:55 PM

Ill start it ........RED....

And seriously if you are only using occasionally the Kings bag seems ok to me. I use one and its ok but I also have another made by a canvas shop here in Perth. A bit more than $150 to $250 though.

threedogs
18th January 2016, 04:04 PM
Im waiting on the REDBACK range of rooftop bags oh goodie lol

mudnut
18th January 2016, 04:14 PM
And there it is:)

the evil twin
18th January 2016, 04:57 PM
Well we probably confused the poor OP but...
I wanted to be first but it would have broken my New Years Resolution not to mention 'you know who' Rooftop Bags on the Forum in 2016.
So far so good...

I just use an Ebay special in the roof basket on mine, seems OK to me

foggs
18th January 2016, 05:08 PM
wish I knew what you guys are on about.. searched redback bags can't see much, searched this forum and found some funny posts but now more confused than ever, must be an old joke :P

hard to get good advice these days. :)

the evil twin
18th January 2016, 05:13 PM
wish I knew what you guys are on about.. searched redback bags can't see much, searched this forum and found some funny posts but now more confused than ever, must be an old joke :P

hard to get good advice these days. :)

Not so much an old joke as one that just never gets tired around here...

How good a bag do you want?
As mentioned the one I grabbed on Ebay does the job for me but I only use it once or twice a year or so as most of my gear goes in dustproof cases on my Tray

foggs
18th January 2016, 05:31 PM
Not so much an old joke as one that just never gets tired around here...

How good a bag do you want?
As mentioned the one I grabbed on Ebay does the job for me but I only use it once or twice a year or so as most of my gear goes in dustproof cases on my Tray

:)

Something that's not gonna fall apart in a year or two or easily fall apart..
There seem to be a whole lot for under $150, hence why I'm looking for something maybe a little better but not near the top of the range.

4bye4
18th January 2016, 05:55 PM
Well we probably confused the poor OP but...
I wanted to be first but it would have broken my New Years Resolution not to mention 'you know who' Rooftop Bags on the Forum in 2016.
So far so good...

I just use an Ebay special in the roof basket on mine, seems OK to me

You probably had the same new year reso for the last five years.

Cuppa
18th January 2016, 08:38 PM
Aww bum. You all beat me to it!

Winnie
18th January 2016, 09:05 PM
I've got a bushranger roof top bag. Don't use it much now but it is bloody awesome! Driven through some mega storms with it and all my gear keeps bone dry, no dust ingress either which surprised me.
I can't remember how much it cost but I think it was closer to $300?

MudRunnerTD
18th January 2016, 09:09 PM
I have a Rooftop bag id be interested in selling. 2 actually! both have been used for 1 trip to QLD from Melbourne and used on road only when my dad moved to QLD. No longer needed.

Both are Bushranger Brand. on is the Racksack which is their most expensive and awesome bag. Thick Heavy Duty polyurethane fabric. Water and Dust proof. Tough bag. The other is there medium range bag and is a Canvas type. Both in Perfect condition.

I would keep them myself but i already have a RackSak and have used it a heap of times. I rate it highly.

Stropp
18th January 2016, 11:38 PM
I have a Rooftop bag id be interested in selling. 2 actually! both have been used for 1 trip to QLD from Melbourne and used on road only when my dad moved to QLD. No longer needed.

Both are Bushranger Brand. on is the Racksack which is their most expensive and awesome bag. Thick Heavy Duty polyurethane fabric. Water and Dust proof. Tough bag. The other is there medium range bag and is a Canvas type. Both in Perfect condition.

I would keep them myself but i already have a RackSak and have used it a heap of times. I rate it highly.

Hey Darren would the air jack fit in one of these bags? Might be able to do a deal on the other gear that I'm sending you 😎

MudRunnerTD
18th January 2016, 11:44 PM
Hey Darren would the air jack fit in one of these bags? Might be able to do a deal on the other gear that I'm sending you ��

Yes it will fit easy mate. Same size as the one I had on the roof for the Simpson. Fits a 35 inside with room to spare. I had the 35, the air jack, tools and spares. Great bag.

I would need to confirm the size of each of the bags mate. I think one is smaller than the other but either will easily fit your jack. How much space do you have on your rack?

Avo
19th January 2016, 12:43 AM
is Clunk sick?

Stropp
19th January 2016, 12:53 AM
Yes it will fit easy mate. Same size as the one I had on the roof for the Simpson. Fits a 35 inside with room to spare. I had the 35, the air jack, tools and spares. Great bag.

I would need to confirm the size of each of the bags mate. I think one is smaller than the other but either will easily fit your jack. How much space do you have on your rack?

Just the solar panel an rv5 tent mate, plenty of room, I basically just need to put the airbag jack in it.

firm351
19th January 2016, 01:13 AM
I have a rhino rack bag and I reckon you wouldn't find a better bag for water and dust proofness except maybe a redbag rooftop bag but good luck finding one of those😂 the rhino rack one has a zipper and double flaps with velcro covering the zipper and 3 straps that you pull down to hold onto the roof rack and to stop it flapping about. Bloody excellent bit of gear.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

4bye4
19th January 2016, 10:12 AM
is Clunk sick?

Usually, but I think his health is ok.

happygu
19th January 2016, 12:22 PM
I don't normally recommend Tigerz11 stuff, but here is a link

http://www.tigerz11.com.au/adventure-kings-roof-top-bag.html

I bought one from them - not this exact one, but very similar, and although it has only been used a few times, it is still as good as new. As it was fairly cheap I wasn't expecting too much, and it was a little bit of a trial to put in front of my Rooftop tent, and the plan was to get a better one if it worked OK .. Think it will last me 10 years plus as is ....

threedogs
19th January 2016, 01:28 PM
is Clunk sick?
Yes but he's seeking help lol

Winnie
19th January 2016, 01:54 PM
Too easy a target... even Clunk has more class than that.

threedogs
19th January 2016, 01:59 PM
You think,, he can post some real nasty stuff if he wants to
but Ill leave it at that
Class ROFPML

Clunk
19th January 2016, 03:29 PM
You think,, he can post some real nasty stuff if he wants to
but Ill leave it at that
Class ROFPML
I've actually been pretty restrained in what I've posted TD and if I have gone a wee bit too far, then I've always got Tuppa following me to clean it up.

Now enough with the hijack, get back on topic.

AB..... how's those Redback Rooftop Bags coming along?

Gavshe
24th January 2016, 10:31 PM
Drifta have started manufacturing roof top bags to customer measurements, look ok on video, https://youtu.be/csrfZgd_evQ

threedogs
25th January 2016, 10:42 AM
Do these roof top bags have YKK zips and some sort of a double flap to ensure no dust gets in

Gavshe
25th January 2016, 11:33 PM
Drifta do only state a good quality zip and use YKK in most of there gear. it also has three adjustable full wrap around straps that can be used to anchor to rack and yes it has a flap over the zip but is only a single flap, they do say the bag is not water proof but add not a lot of water gets in, probably because The zipper is only across the back and up one side
Got a quote for 1800x600x30mm $290.00 plus freight