PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Marc Allen
16th January 2016, 07:44 AM
Well its time for us to re introduce ours selves now that we are the owners of a 1998 2.8l GU patrol.
It needs some attention. It needs a 5th gear bearing and a sump gasket. My ocd isnt happy with some of the home wiring jobs but it will get sorted.

Its our first 4wd so we will be asking lots of questions like what does the stalk thingie thats under the wiper stalk do?.

Look forward to gwtting to know some of you

growler2058
16th January 2016, 08:38 AM
Cool! Got some pics?

AB
16th January 2016, 08:43 AM
Welcome to the forum mate.

Marc Allen
16th January 2016, 09:26 AM

I think the previous owner wanted a mack truck with the front lights. The bull bar will be going soon and repalced by a steel one with winch and a roof basket. I got a cargo barrier waiting for me n adelaide. Picked it up for 50 bucks.

Still undecided on going for 33" or sticking to 265's for the wheelsso there interchangeable with the camper

Up for suggestionsof any other mods. Its going to be doing a 3 year plus lap of oz soon

4bye4
16th January 2016, 10:51 AM
Up for suggestionsof any other mods. Its going to be doing a 3 year plus lap of oz soon

Welcome again Marc. looks like a tidy unit. If you doing a long lab you may want to consider drawers and/or roof rack. Not sure what your intentions are regarding sleeping. Roof top tent or towing a caravan or just motel to motel, but storage is always an issue on long trips. It is with my missus anyway we just can't take enough stuff in the JIC box. That's Just In Case.

threedogs
16th January 2016, 10:53 AM
Hello and welcome looks like a very clean patrol, you can fit a winch to that bullbar if you want too.
265s will return your best fuel figures, see what you mean about the "Mack" look,
Snorkle is a great assett to have for breathing clean air
Jump in ask away and enjoy

Marc Allen
16th January 2016, 11:07 AM
Welcome again Marc. looks like a tidy unit. If you doing a long lab you may want to consider drawers and/or roof rack. Not sure what your intentions are regarding sleeping. Roof top tent or towing a caravan or just motel to motel, but storage is always an issue on long trips. It is with my missus anyway we just can't take enough stuff in the JIC box. That's Just In Case.

The roof rack will be a definate. Drawers not sure about the weight. We worked out we will have roughly 400kg payload on the patrol and about 550kg on the camper which will brig us to a gvm of 4.5 ton ish. The missus knows pretty well its a bare bones exercise as far as stuffis concerned.

Marc Allen
16th January 2016, 11:14 AM
Hello and welcome looks like a very clean patrol, you can fit a winch to that bullbar if you want too.
265s will return your best fuel figures, see what you mean about the "Mack" look,
Snorkle is a great assett to have for breathing clean air
Jump in ask away and enjoy

Yeah its got a not very old heavy duty old man emu lift kit and dual batteries minus the isolator, anderson plug at the back, reversing spot light and a black widow fold down table on the inside of the door.
Yes My ocd isnt happy about all the home wiring which ill trace remove some of it and reconnect especially when they have wired up the imoboliser wit a fuze and when i pulled the fuze outit made on difference.

With the winch you just cut the grill bitsat the bottom right?. What do you mount the winch to?. Isit a cood idea i dont see the alloy bullbar taking to much of a hit bit then again its lightness frees up weight

growler2058
16th January 2016, 11:15 AM
Still undecided on going for 33" or sticking to 265's for the wheelsso there interchangeable with the camper

Up for suggestions of any other mods. Its going to be doing a 3 year plus lap of oz soon

Up the tyre size on the trailer as well

Marc Allen
16th January 2016, 11:19 AM
Up the tyre size on the trailer as well

Cant change the trailer tires or the tent wont touch the ground

threedogs
16th January 2016, 11:30 AM
Here you go

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GU-Patrol-Winch-Cradle-suit-Genuine-Nissan-alloy-bullbar-Tjm-ARB-bullbars-/262241132194?hash=item3d0eca1ea2:g:rq4AAOSwECZUrGM 5

growler2058
16th January 2016, 12:06 PM
Cant change the trailer tires or the tent wont touch the ground

31"-33" is only 1" higher

Sent from my iPhone using My thumbs

David reeve
17th January 2016, 07:28 AM
Welcome Marc neat patrol

Dhuck
19th January 2016, 07:15 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.

Svdwalt007