PDA

View Full Version : Sub tank not transferring ZD30 CRD Patrol

mhanly
14th January 2016, 10:17 PM
Hi all,

Bought a 2008 ZD30 CRD Nissan Patrol about six months ago and have not been able to get the sub tank to transfer to the main tank. When I select the sub tank button I do not get a light on the dash and have checked the fuse which is fine. Any advice on what the next steps are in the fault finding process would be great! Thanks.

BigRAWesty
14th January 2016, 10:36 PM
Can you hear the pump running at all??
Mine works with ignition on but engine not running so makes it easier to hear..

mudski
14th January 2016, 11:14 PM
I get no light on the dash in mine, but the light does come on the button when i press it....
I'd get under and check the wiring to the pump next to see if theres and broken connections.

my third 256
15th January 2016, 10:17 AM
have a good reed of this thred and has a fix in it about 8 threds down and some other good advice
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?503-Sub-fuel-tank-light-issues

ando89
16th March 2016, 11:31 PM
A guy i work with had this exact problem. He said he took it to Nissan to fix and they did when asked how they fixed it they said it was fixed and not to worry about it. He drove from perth to Adelaide and the same thing happened. Went to the nearest Nissan dealer to get it looked at again. The guy he spoke to said disconnect the battery for half an hour then reconnect it thats all they do to fix it, Nissan don't know what causes it. He gave it a go and it worked. This was about 2 years ago he had this issue and i haven't hurd anything more about it. Hope Nissan have come up with a permanent fix.

Bigcol
17th March 2016, 01:22 AM
Hi all,

Bought a 2008 ZD30 CRD Nissan Patrol about six months ago and have not been able to get the sub tank to transfer to the main tank. When I select the sub tank button I do not get a light on the dash .

the light on the Dash will only come on if you have a problem
when you press the switch, the light should go on, on the switch
it is very very slow to transfer

with mine, I find if I go to transfer when the main tank is 1/2 full, by the time it gets to 1/3 you start to notice the gauge moving and heading towards full

the evil twin
17th March 2016, 01:50 AM
As BigCol said the light on the light on teh dash is a Fault light - you don't want that to come on
The light in the switch is the 'pump is on' light - you do want that to illuminate

If you have fuel in the sub and the main is less than 3/4 full you can check if it is transferring by pressing the sub tank switch (check the green light is on) and taking the main tank filler cap off and looking in the pipe.
A couple of inches down there will be a stream of fuel entering the main tank filler neck.

Try that and let us know how you go

The pump transfer rate is 1 1/2 litres per minute

threedogs
17th March 2016, 01:38 PM
Hi all,

Bought a 2008 ZD30 CRD Nissan Patrol about six months ago and have not been able to get the sub tank to transfer to the main tank. When I select the sub tank button I do not get a light on the dash and have checked the fuse which is fine. Any advice on what the next steps are in the fault finding process would be great! Thanks.

I think it is as ET said the light is in the switch. in saying that I think its working fine
How do you know its not transferring, I again I think it is,go put some fuel in the sub
and transfer some to the main tanksitting in your drive way

mhanly
15th June 2016, 09:09 PM
Ok thanks guys, I'll see how it goes but the light does not come on the button either. I'll keep you posted

mhanly
15th June 2016, 09:12 PM
Thanks guys I'll give it a go again but yeah the light on the button does not come on when it's pushed in.

MudRunnerTD
15th June 2016, 09:46 PM
I would also disconnect the battery for 30 minutes to clear Code Errors. I have had to do this a couple of time in my guiv

Rumcajs
15th June 2016, 10:09 PM
Thanks guys I'll give it a go again but yeah the light on the button does not come on when it's pushed in.

The switch is just a momentary (monostable) OFF/ON switch which grounds signal to subtank control unit, the light in the switch is activated by the said control unit which grounds it when everything works, power to the light is coming from ignition via fuse 28.

Subtank control unit is powered via 3 fuses, fuse 24 (BATT) fuse 27 (ACC) and fuse 6 (IGN ON). Control unit gets the signals from both tank senders and evaluates the signals levels to acertain the amount of fuel in both tanks. Main tank sender also contains "tank full switch" which is in parallel with main tank level signal to the subtank control unit to indicate it as full.

If the levels are correct (subtank above "empty" and main tank bellow "full") subtank control unit powers up the pump.

If the unit detects a problem the warning lamp gets activated.

There are 13 pins on the subtank control unit (late revision) and when connected the following applies:

1. Ignition switch ON (~12V)
2. pump output (sub tank not empty, main tank not full, subtank switch activated 12V)
3. Ignition switch ACC or ON (~12V)
4. ground (constant) (0V)
5. sub tank level gauge (ignition ON, 0-4V)
6. main tank level NOT full (ignition ON 5V)
7. main tank fuel gauge (igniton ON 0-2.5V)
8. engine status (running ~12V)
9. sub tank fuel switch (ignition ON switch OFF ~5V)
10. sub tank fuel switch indicator (ignition ON switch OFF ~12V)
11. ground (contant) (0V)
12. batt (constant) (~12V)
13. sub tank fuel warning lamp (ignition ON, engine not running, no system fault 0V)

If you have access to multimeter you can easily check the system functions

Regards

Yendor
15th June 2016, 10:21 PM
Ok thanks guys, I'll see how it goes but the light does not come on the button either. I'll keep you posted

Does the switch light up when you turn your headlights on like the rest of the dash switches?

If it doesn't check that the switch has been plugged in. Someone may have had it out and forgot to plug the switch back in.

MudRunnerTD
15th June 2016, 10:49 PM
Does the switch light up when you turn your headlights on like the rest of the dash switches?

If it doesn't check that the switch has been plugged in. Someone may have had it out and forgot to plug the switch back in.

Haha!! Wouldn't that just sh1t ya to tears!!

BigRAWesty
16th June 2016, 02:33 PM
Haha!! Wouldn't that just sh1t ya to tears!!
I seem to remeber a similar issue with some ones antenna not long ago.
I to thought mine was stuffed untill I remeber I have pulled mine apart and have probably forgotten to connect it again.

Yendor
16th June 2016, 08:20 PM
Yes the KISS principle lol

Deeno
11th September 2020, 10:18 AM
Sorry to dig up an old thread, I'm new to the forum and have spent hours tinkering and searching and cannot find the sub tank issue. I have run an extra earth strap and changed the module, i checked the switch with a multimeter and seems to work when pressed in (being momentary switch i think this is correct). There is no light on the cluster and I've checked the globe and the globe was fine. The switch does not light up at all not when pressed in and not when headlights are on. Ive felt the pump and it always feels cold. Any ideas?

Deeno
12th September 2020, 06:08 PM
So i finally managed to get the switch to spit me out a code. 2 long flashes then 4 quick ones, I've tried to interpret them according to the fault code readet but makes no sense. Anyone know what it might be or how to interpret the fault code paper?

Maxhead
13th September 2020, 07:34 AM
So i finally managed to get the switch to spit me out a code. 2 long flashes then 4 quick ones, I've tried to interpret them according to the fault code readet but makes no sense. Anyone know what it might be or how to interpret the fault code paper?

Not sure on the code mate, I fixed mine a while back by disconnecting the battery for a while.
It was 2012 CRD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deeno
13th September 2020, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the reply mate I've tried that a few times with no luck except for 1 time but hasn't worked since.