PDA

View Full Version : Cheap IR thermometer

jff45
13th January 2016, 04:08 PM
I was thinking about a couple of recent threads where there were questions about whether the temperature showing on a gauge was correct.
I'd always wanted one of these IR thermometers so I had a quick look on Ebay and saw one for $16.99.
Has to be rubbish at that price, right?
Well, I've tested it several times on my engine both hot and cold including the outside temp sensor and it's been within 0.5 degree each time.
I've checked it against the TI outside temp display up in the roof console and my Ecutalk engine temp display.
Came back from shopping with engine temp showing 81C so opened the bonnet and got 82C off the top rad hose after stopping the engine.

AB
13th January 2016, 04:28 PM
Yeah I bought a cheapy off Ebay as well for the pizza oven and was suprised how good they are.

Hodge
13th January 2016, 04:58 PM
Sorry , very naive with these things. So you just point it at desired spot from a certain distance and gives you the surface temperature? ?

So if I pointed one at my thernostat housing or sensor location I'd more or less get the same reading as the sensor ?
Providing it's accurate of course.

Tapatalked from S6

NissanGQ4.2
13th January 2016, 05:09 PM
Sorry , very naive with these things. So you just point it at desired spot from a certain distance and gives you the surface temperature? ?

So if I pointed one at my thernostat housing or sensor location I'd more or less get the same reading as the sensor ?
Providing it's accurate of course.

Tapatalked from S6

Yeh mate, what ever it pointed at is what it reads, and they are pretty accurate. I use one but way smaller about the size of a match box for my reptile cage temps. But I know a few that use the same sort in the op

jff45
13th January 2016, 05:14 PM
Yep, there's even a laser beam you can switch on to make the aim more precise. I used it this afternoon and aimed the laser spot on the outside temp sensor. Got almost 34 (has 1 decimal place) and patrol readout in console showed 34.

NissanGQ4.2
13th January 2016, 05:52 PM
Yep, there's even a laser beam you can switch on to make the aim more precise. That's the downside 2 my small one no laser, but don't really need it for what I mainly use it for

the evil twin
13th January 2016, 06:01 PM
Mine sits in the Drivers Door compartment with my tyre pressure gauge and winch remote etc.

When towing my Van on holidays, every time I stop for fuel I check the wheel bearing and tyre temperatures on the vehicle and Van.
Adds bugger all time to my 'walkaround' before I fire up and piss off on the next leg

jff45
13th January 2016, 06:33 PM
Good idea!

threedogs
13th January 2016, 07:06 PM
Been singing their praises for a while now, great bit of kit

the evil twin
13th January 2016, 09:03 PM
Good idea!

Yep... even if I do say so myself.

It meant that I very quickly picked up an issue on the Van 'lekky brakes when one drum was way cooler than the other.

I might add that I check the shockie temps after looong stints on corrugations as well

jff45
14th January 2016, 01:01 PM
I've just taken a couple of pics that will clearly answer one of the questions that was asked.
You can see the red laser dot between the 2 temp sensors where it's taking the reading. Then I turned ignition on and took a pic of my Ecutalk readout. Engine hasn't been started today, this is just sitting in the shed.