PDA

View Full Version : Tools needed for a GU

michaelgreeny
7th January 2016, 10:31 PM
G'day guys,

Just had a thought and figured that somebody might have had the same one and put something on here.

Is there a list anywhere of all the tools you need to service/work on a GU patrol?

For example, spanners size 8,15 and 26.

I was going to spend a weekend going over my new GU (and still will no doubt), but figured if I wanted to make a tool kit specifically for that vehicle it would be handy to have everything I need and nothing that's completely useless.

This forum is awesome and I thought if I can find it anywhere it'd probably be here!

Cheers

the evil twin
7th January 2016, 11:40 PM
A set of Security Torx for the MAF Sensor etc

mudski
7th January 2016, 11:58 PM
Anything metric really.... Depends on what your working on will depend on size or type of tool needed. A metric set of ring /open enders, and metric sockets. I also have a 1/4 drive socket set I use quite a lot. As quite often the 10 and 12mm sockets get used and using a 1/4 set is easier. My array of tools tends to grow every few weeks, lol. Mainly because I'm tinkering so much with it, I find myself lying under the car thinking, man it would be so much easier if I had this tool... Best buy so far is a set of Ratchet ring spanners. Best tool for mods, a Dremel. Now another member has got me wanting a plasma cutter. Not that I need one, but it would be cool to have one... Lol. Next is a bigger garage to fit all my crap in.

Hodge
8th January 2016, 06:34 AM
I found a lot of stuff on the patrol especially under the hood is 12 mm. But a good metric kit will do.

Tapatalked from S6

Winnie
8th January 2016, 06:40 AM
A tool for your hub nuts.

my third 256
8th January 2016, 07:37 AM
12 volt ratchet gun to take wheel nuts off and a tork wrench to tighten them up

BigRAWesty
8th January 2016, 09:09 AM
As above lots of 10-24mm sockets.. you'll always never find them if you buy one..
Spanners and needed for many things to..
A good breaker bar
Torque wrench

threedogs
8th January 2016, 09:33 AM
I have 1/2". 3/8th" and 1/4" socket sets plus ratchett ring spanners, and open end
But at least a 2t trolley jack that hub tool is a must and circlip plyers wouldnt go astray
Jack stands to if working underneath. A few different hammers, could go on and on
but there is plenty written on basic tools for service items. All tools are metric

michaelgreeny
8th January 2016, 12:49 PM
Cheers guys, appreciate the help. Looking forward to getting in and figuring it all out!

Sprock
8th January 2016, 09:32 PM
Anything metric really.... Depends on what your working on will depend on size or type of tool needed. A metric set of ring /open enders, and metric sockets. I also have a 1/4 drive socket set I use quite a lot. As quite often the 10 and 12mm sockets get used and using a 1/4 set is easier. My array of tools tends to grow every few weeks, lol. Mainly because I'm tinkering so much with it, I find myself lying under the car thinking, man it would be so much easier if I had this tool... Best buy so far is a set of Ratchet ring spanners. Best tool for mods, a Dremel. Now another member has got me wanting a plasma cutter. Not that I need one, but it would be cool to have one... Lol. Next is a bigger garage to fit all my crap in.

Hahaha plasma cutter , just cos you want 1 [emoji13]

2002 GU wagon 3.0lt , auto , piranha dual batteries , 3" lift , chip , needle & Dawes valves - just gettin started

threedogs
9th January 2016, 10:52 AM
Hahaha plasma cutter , just cos you want 1 [emoji13]

2002 GU wagon 3.0lt , auto , piranha dual batteries , 3" lift , chip , needle & Dawes valves - just gettin started

Ill use the local laser cutter easier and I can get 100 if needed exactly the same and way cheaper per unit.
I see no use for a plasma cutter for private use, just more waisted monies imo , but who says when you need to
stop buying tools.
Best tool ever IMO are those cordless drills , you could pull a motor down with one, take one 4x4ing in case
you get a flat .lol