PDA

View Full Version : Gu duel cab chop

Dannyboyz
7th January 2016, 03:08 PM
Hey guys, been toying with the idea doing the chop on my 98 Gu wagon for a few years now and I just want to know if anyone has one of this shape in a duel cab? More specifically I need to know tray sizes to see if it will be worth it, I think 1800mm is about as long as it can go but I am intersted to see how wide blokes have gone without it looking silly, if anyone has pics and doesn't mind sharing that would be great too! I'm not out to copy anyone's design just looking for inspiration!

threedogs
7th January 2016, 03:17 PM
Yeah 1800 is about the norm to make it look normal, been toying with this idea for years nearly brought one
but the GLW decided to have a heart attack. lol
Dont just do a flat panel across the back , incorporate the roll bar so its rounded looks heaps better
or bring the "D" pillars forward, a bit more work but looks more factory

Dannyboyz
7th January 2016, 03:28 PM
Was thinking of getting the back wall out of a single cab and grafting that into it, will have to talk to an engineer and see how they want it done, just weighing up the pros and cons of the wagon vs ute. All comes down to tray size I think, nice photo thanks mate, neat job that one

threedogs
7th January 2016, 03:59 PM
It was an 2001 model from Perth he was asking $19k with 110k on the clock.
Bummer as it would have suited my needs better at the time.
Where are you from, might be able to point you in the right direction??

Dannyboyz
7th January 2016, 04:21 PM
East Gippsland, Vic, that was bloody cheap, was it a td42?

threedogs
7th January 2016, 04:26 PM
Nah a 3ltr Di, would you be doing it yourself??

Dannyboyz
7th January 2016, 04:39 PM
Yeah my dad and I were gunna have a crack. He is a boilermaker by trade and has been doing alot of panel work restoring an old car, the body on the old troll is pretty rough anyway so I'm not super fussed about how it looks up close, lol, just want it to be practical

mudski
7th January 2016, 09:10 PM
This is something i will do once my kids are over the camping thing and its just me and the missus. A tray on the back setup with boxes with lift up sides... my brain is ticking over hard already...

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk