PDA

View Full Version : DIY rear coil spring mount reinforcing. Who has done their own?

jff45
6th January 2016, 08:53 PM
I've been looking at doing this mod and, after having taken a close look at what's being offered for $500, I'm convinced that this can be done at home with a plasma cutter and MIG for not much outlay.
In my case, I have scraps of 2mm & 3mm sheet lying around so it should be really cheap to do.
I'm thinking it can't be too hard to make some cardboard templates once the spring is out.

Has anyone made their own and have pics they'd like to share?

BigRAWesty
6th January 2016, 10:28 PM
What are you looking at doing?
A individual brace that bolts to the cross members? These are 6-8mm thick
A full width brace, again 6mm.

Or are you thinking add gussets and weld it??

Imo if I was doing it I would simply remove the flat bit from the under side of the spring hat and replace it with a longer peice..

I recently repaired one and it looked like the vertical weld on the chassis had no penatration onto the chassis..
So when that bit of flat on the underside had enough it split and allowed the spring retainer to lift..
So I'd also grind out those welds and re weld them while at it..

jff45
6th January 2016, 11:23 PM
I was thinking of making something like the Boss offerings that bolt in but I'd weld them in as well.

There's also the ATOC offering that welds in. It looks like it's 2-3mm plate. They have good reviews.

6mm reinforcing is way overkill in my view.
This is the ATOC brace.

jff45
6th January 2016, 11:34 PM
This is the Boss bracing kit. No welding..

mudski
6th January 2016, 11:46 PM
I thought the same thing John. But i dont have access to a plasma cutter.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

MudRunnerTD
6th January 2016, 11:53 PM

I am a big fan of this kit and its on my list for the guiv. I'd be surprised if they were not 5 or 6mm though? I doubt they are 3mm?

BigRAWesty
7th January 2016, 06:11 AM
I am a big fan of this kit and its on my list for the guiv. I'd be surprised if they were not 5 or 6mm though? I doubt they are 3mm?
They are. Pretty sure FNQGU has em and yea again 6mm plate..

Hodge
7th January 2016, 07:19 AM
FWIW.
I had the Atoc bolt in ones on my 3L . They were definetly bigger than 3mm. I reckon at least 5mm.

Superior also do a bolt in set .

https://www.superiorengineering.com.au/superior-coil-tower-brace-nissan-patrol-gqgu-wagon-no-body-lift-10673

92GQ
7th January 2016, 07:57 AM

I have also been looking at this kit, would it work with airbags?
Cheers

TimE
7th January 2016, 09:44 AM

That is what I have put in my GU IV Wagon, no stuffing about, fits right in there.

Job was done in less than an hour (with access to a hoist) and hopefully will now not have to worry too much about towing 1.6 ton camper and other "necessary" camping items (eg beer!)

jff45
7th January 2016, 09:49 AM
I have also been looking at this kit, would it work with airbags?
Cheers

My understanding is that the cracking is often caused by fitting airbags in the first place although I'm sure they don't like constant stump jumping either.
I plan to fit airbags for towing so that's why I'm doing this mod.

jff45
7th January 2016, 09:52 AM
This is what I was judging thickness from. This is the ATOC kit welded in and I just don't see 6mm thick plate here..

I just took a closer look and if that plate is 6mm then they must be using 24mm bolts for the bump stop.. :)

BigRAWesty
7th January 2016, 10:25 AM
This is what I was judging thickness from. This is the ATOC kit welded in and I just don't see 6mm thick plate here..

I just took a closer look and if that plate is 6mm then they must be using 24mm bolts for the bump stop.. :)
Na that kit is very thin..
But that under flat section of sheet is what I was referring to above..
I think that extended to the top and re weld the sides would fix most issues..

jff45
7th January 2016, 10:35 AM
I thought the same thing John. But i dont have access to a plasma cutter.

Mark, you should know by now that it's "in for a penny, in for a pound" with these Patrols.. :)

I got a cheapy Ebay Token Tools plasma cutter when I retired 5 years ago. It's been handy for lots of stuff. Finished the days of using a jigsaw with metal cutting blades..

jff45
7th January 2016, 10:42 AM
Na that kit is very thin..
But that under flat section of sheet is what I was referring to above..
I think that extended to the top and re weld the sides would fix most issues..

You think the top plate with the big hole might be thicker? Could well be. I still think it's not a big challenge for a DIYer.
There are heaps of photos around to copy ideas from.

It's decided.. it's on the list now :)

The Boss kit is $495. I'm sure I can do mine for <$50 including buying some steel & paint.

jff45
7th January 2016, 10:47 AM
That is what I have put in my GU IV Wagon, no stuffing about, fits right in there.

Job was done in less than an hour (with access to a hoist) and hopefully will now not have to worry too much about towing 1.6 ton camper and other "necessary" camping items (eg beer!)

Do you recall how thick the top plate was?

mudnut
7th January 2016, 12:01 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?33772-Coil-Tower-Braces&highlight=brace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDAZ6Fdaj-4

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?26934-GU4-Chassis-Coil-tower-strength-and-options-for-Africa-expedition&highlight=brace

https://www.superiorengineering.com.au/4x4-suspension/suspension-steel-brackets/superior-coil-tower-brace-nissan-patrol-gqgu-wagon-no-body-lift-10673?filter=127wa

I have an RB30 so I will be installing the last type, eventually, as I already have a two inch lift, meant for a TB42, which is way heavier. The wagon is lifted to the maximum possible height without having to install longer panhard bars. The extra thickness of the under mount brace
would cause problems.

Rock Trol
7th January 2016, 06:14 PM
I just measured the thickness of my BOSS kit and it looks like 4-5mm thick. Easily twice as thick as the sheet metal used by Nissan on the coil towers. The way it fits inside the existing coil tower and uses the 12mm bolts holding the bump stops means that it is much stronger than original. It also bolts into the original coil tower at the top.

The design looks strong as it uses the existing design and strengthens it by putting some of the stress on the bolts at the bottom of the chassis rather than just the welds at the side of the chassis.

threedogs
7th January 2016, 06:46 PM
Ive seen some weld some flat bar [50x6mm] around the top of the coil hat
With a plate plate on top ,,braced back to the chassis,
if you need any laser cutting done yell out,
would think tops $30 worth of cutting

jff45
7th January 2016, 06:48 PM
I agree, the Boss items look the goods and they're ideal for someone who has no welder.

What I'm suggesting is that something equally strong can be made at home if you have a plasma & MIG.
Even if it's 6-7mm thick, it can be made for way less than the $500 that Boss sell for.

I made my own winch mount instead of buying one for $300.

I was hoping someone had already made their own bracing and might like to share pics.

threedogs
7th January 2016, 06:52 PM
just fax some drawings with some dimentions if you want to

jff45
7th January 2016, 06:58 PM
3D, I saw a post of yours from June 2015 where you were planning to make your own bracing. Did that go anywhere?

threedogs
7th January 2016, 07:02 PM
PM sent ,, With one thing or another with my back nothing ever happened.
but keen to get some "forum only" brace kits going

jff45
7th January 2016, 07:37 PM
PM sent ,, With one thing or another with my back nothing ever happened.
but keen to get some "forum only" brace kits going

The way to possibly do this is to buy the Boss units and "reverse engineer" them.

I had thought about buying them and using them to make a jig to build my own then reselling them at 10-15% off to get most of my money back.

TimE
7th January 2016, 07:47 PM
VH
The way to possibly do this is to buy the Boss units and "reverse engineer" them.

I had thought about buying them and using them to make a jig to build my own then reselling them at 10-15% off to get most of my money back.

How Chinese of you ,..... ;)

jff45
7th January 2016, 08:48 PM
VH

How Chinese of you ,..... ;)

I think you've misunderstood my post.
This whole thread has been about me looking for a way to brace my own coil towers for a price that fits my 70 year old pensioner budget.
If I buy a Boss kit to take measurements to make my own (to save me having my car off the road for too long) and then resell that same Boss kit to someone at a lesser price once it has served it's purpose, why is that "Chinese"?

I think those who are liking your post haven't understood either.
Read the context of the thread guys! Nobody is talking about copying an idea to resell FFS

jff45
7th January 2016, 09:01 PM
Here's another weld-in kit I've come across. Doesn't look much thicker than 3mm to me.
I see Marks4WD sell the same kit.
Price was around $215

mudnut
7th January 2016, 09:12 PM
Only problem with welding these is it illegal to weld onto a chassis in Vic. You would have to have an engineers cert. That is why I posted the bolt ons. I would think reverse engineering the top mounted ones would be easy as.

mudski
7th January 2016, 10:03 PM
just fax some drawings with some dimentions if you want to
Fax John? I haven't used one of them in years... :)

Rock Trol
7th January 2016, 10:46 PM
I agree that there are probably several ways to strengthen the coil towers on the chassis. If jff45 has the welding skills and time its worth making his own. I have no welder or skill to use it so I have to rely on someone else's engineering. Booger welds wouldn't be too cool on the ol' Patrol.

TimE
8th January 2016, 11:20 AM
I think you've misunderstood my post.
This whole thread has been about me looking for a way to brace my own coil towers for a price that fits my 70 year old pensioner budget.
If I buy a Boss kit to take measurements to make my own (to save me having my car off the road for too long) and then resell that same Boss kit to someone at a lesser price once it has served it's purpose, why is that "Chinese"?

I think those who are liking your post haven't understood either.
Read the context of the thread guys! Nobody is talking about copying an idea to resell FFS

Clearly then I misunderstood your post. How silly of me :(

threedogs
8th January 2016, 05:31 PM
I'll have a good look over the weekend and see
what I can come up with design wise thats
a no weld item.'
Easy to see they bolt to the top of the coil tower
OOI where does the other plate bolt to is it drill and tapped ??
or anyone got a pic of one fitted.
Whats the best size 4mm or bigger/smaller?