PDA

View Full Version : Td42t auto

Pezzer
5th January 2016, 12:51 PM
Hi can anyone help me i am doing a td42t conversion and i want it to remain Auto, now i have still in the car the td42e auto which is in very good order. I also have a Sahara auto with no transfer case so i could use mine, i know is 24volt but this will be changed. Ok so are the internals the same ie gearing etc or should i just put it in as it was behind a turbo motor originally. i already have the flex plates bell housing etc, i just dont want to waste time if its the same box...

tuckertrucker
5th January 2016, 03:52 PM
What is the trans already in the car? If it is the RE4R03A trans it will marry nicely to the TD42. But you say you also have a safari auto - which is the RE4R03A. Keep in mind that if it has come out of a safari then all the electrics are 24v, but if it has come out of a patrol then itll be 12v. If its from one TD42 to another, then it should work fine. But Im not sure of the differences between the TD42t and TD42e??

The RE4R03A trans has a 2.784:1 Low gear, 1.544:1 Low second, 1.00:1 drive and a 0.694:1 over drive. The TX12a transfer that usually sits behind this trans has a 1:1 high range so the gearing output isn't too much of a concern when trying to find a transfer or diff ratio suitable to your application.

someone with more know how should yay or nay what ive just said

jff45
5th January 2016, 05:51 PM
@Pezzer, I thought you'd finished this yonks ago :)

If your TB42E auto is in good nick, simply use the Safari bellhousing so you can fit a TD42 starter. Just be careful when you pull the bellhousing that you don't pull the oil pump and input shaft out with it.
I used my TB45E trans & torque converter and it runs beautifully.

Pezzer
5th January 2016, 06:57 PM
Hi no been overseas but i have 4 weeks to get this conversion done. Got the TB42E out just now, next was going to be the auto as a transmission shop said internally there are a few differences like stiffer springs etc to compensate for the turbo....dilemas...lol
i was going to swap out the 12v electrics into the 24v auto as it was behind a turbo motor.

Pezzer
5th January 2016, 06:59 PM
Oh yes I have a spare bellhousing so no removal required...

tuckertrucker
5th January 2016, 07:11 PM
Ohhhh right: tB42 not tD42. Should have thought about it a little hahah

jff45
5th January 2016, 07:56 PM
Hi no been overseas but i have 4 weeks to get this conversion done. Got the TB42E out just now, next was going to be the auto as a transmission shop said internally there are a few differences like stiffer springs etc to compensate for the turbo....dilemas...lol
i was going to swap out the 12v electrics into the 24v auto as it was behind a turbo motor.

I'd be surprised if they have stronger springs for the turbo. The non-intercooler Safari auto wasn't exactly a powerhouse.
The TB45s & CRDs have more torque.
You'll need to drop the Safari valve body to change the solenoids.

If it were me, I'd use the known good TB42 trans and fit a $140 TransGo shift kit into it.
If you don't know the real condition of the Safari trans, you could end up with a vehicle that doesn't even move..

jff45
5th January 2016, 08:05 PM
Another option for you to consider, I have a TB45E valve body from my original trans that I fitted with a TransGo shift kit.
It's complete with solenoids. Ran perfectly in my TB45 before I swapped it out for the Nomad.
See my ad on P4x4 if you're interested.

Pezzer
5th January 2016, 09:06 PM
P4x4 ok I'll look