PDA

View Full Version : Installing a Ironman steering Damper in 2012 GU7

MyGU8
4th January 2016, 05:48 PM
Hi All,

Hope you all had a good break. I just bought an Ironman steering damper and installed it today.

While installing I thought of taking some photos in case someone else is looking for an howto.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a professional mechanic, so this may not be the correct procedure, I do not take responsibility for any damage occurred due to following this procedure.
New damper

First remove all four bolts holding the plastic guard, first I thought I should be able to fix the damper without removing the guard, but later realized that I need some excessive force to remove the original damper.

Next remove the existing damper nuts (not much force needed for this)

Once you remove the bolts, you need to give some good hits on the bolts to remove the existing damper (how much force.. I was scared that I was going to damage the welding on the holding bracket.. that much force)
It was suggested in another thread that if you are worried about damaging the bolt on the existing damper you can leave the nut on the bolt while hitting, but i wouldn't suggest it, as once the tapered bolt become loose you may find difficulty in removing the nut afterwards as the bolt rotates freely on the damper eye.

Once the damper removed it is a simple matter of installing the new one.

As you can see from the photos I make use of the old dust covers on the new ones to give some additional protection.

Hope this helps

Just to add some notes on my observations:
The existing damper was in good nick when I tested it after removal (approx. 140k kms), but for $120, no point going back, so installed the new one anyway.
I felt the steering was a bit firm with the Ironman this also made is less wandering around of the beast.