PDA

View Full Version : Some advice sought

Dinger
26th December 2015, 07:35 AM
Morning all,
Hope a good xmas was had.
Whilst doing a rig clean yesterday I noticed a coolant drip on the axle. I started chasing it and ended up behind the coolant/cooling pipes
I got a mirror in an looked at the cooling pipe flange no leak.
The coolant is coming from the block and head.
The car does not have any of the usual sign and symptoms of a blown gaskets or cracked head.
I was just hoping someone else can confirm my fears.
The pic is not that good but I have circled the area.
Thanks in advance.

threedogs
26th December 2015, 08:06 AM
What motor ,year etc need all info for others to see

Dinger
26th December 2015, 09:47 AM
Cheers TD
06 ST-S ZD30 DI auto
Have got nads fitted hpd intercooler neddle and dawes hpd catch can.
New genuine radiator in January after overheating whilst towing. I towed all year with now issues.
Then towed 1300kg van from Syd to Canberra last Saturday temp started to rise got up to just shy of red on factory temp gauge after half an hour on the highway.
Stopped let it get back down to normal then continued then now more issues however I did then chase down the leak.
I have burped the radiator to ensure no air.
Any suggestions would be great.

Hodge
26th December 2015, 09:58 AM
So it's on front of the motor vehicle down and behind the alternator sort of ?

Tapatalked from S6

Dinger
26th December 2015, 10:03 AM
Yeah it is directly below the exhaust manifold and slightly toward the front of the engine

threedogs
26th December 2015, 10:07 AM
Its a Di Eric ,
I can just go from where mine was leaking and that was the EGR cooling pipe
under the turbo easier to see if you only have one battery,
Were you 100% sure it was over heating,,,,,,, may of been an earth problem
Just saying as another member I know is going through a similar thing, no
coolant leak though.
Make sure you have the radiator caps on the right way too, plain cap on the radiator
and the pressure cap on the recovery bottle

Dinger
26th December 2015, 10:21 AM
The caps are as follows
1.1 on radiator and a .8 on the recovery bottle. I have not changed them I the last 12 months.
I will get two new genuine ones this week to eliminate that as well.
As for the earth I don't think it is part of the issue I have three extra straps body to chassis and battery to body to fix sub tank issue.
I have intent on installing a aftermarket temp gauge just working on getting it in.

Hodge
26th December 2015, 11:17 AM
Look up, Patrol 3L Timing cover leak and see if it syncs with what you have.

Dinger
26th December 2015, 11:55 AM
Hi Hodge
Thanks for the pointer
I had a read of the thread looks like it could be the problem. Have you tried the silver flakes option?

Hodge
26th December 2015, 12:20 PM
Hey mate. While I had the Patrol I haven't tried any fixes. The repair at the mechanic was quiet expensive and my leak was very very small so, I left it and just had to top up a bit of coolant once a month or so. So I sold the car like that.
I don't have the 3L any more but still know the bloke who owns it, and he says the tiny leak comes and goes on him. So hes gonna leave it as is and monitor it.

Dinger
26th December 2015, 12:37 PM
Cheers.
Mine is tiny as well it does not use much at all maybe have to put in 100ml every 2 months or so.
I will get some advice on a good mechanic in Canberra from a mates father in law. And see what they say.
I will post an update once I get it
Cheers

Hodge
26th December 2015, 12:55 PM
Good luck mate.
When I sought advice most mechanics who knew about this issue told me to leave it be. It's a fairly large job to fix.
It's a gear box out job in order to get the sump off, in order to get the front timing cover off. majority of the cost is the labor.
But in saying that when you get it looked at, they will know whats going on. I mean it may not even be that but it has the typical symptoms of it and since it is in the same spot as most others I have seen.

threedogs
26th December 2015, 03:46 PM
When I enquired about the cost I got a high end quote of $8k
yep thats what I said, this place is always high but do great work. IMO

Dinger
26th December 2015, 07:45 PM
8k that sounds ridiculous
You could do an engine swap for that