PDA

View Full Version : want more power.......

tuckertrucker
23rd December 2015, 10:27 PM
hey all

wanting to know how people are getting lots of power out of the TD42? I've already got the turbo but thats it. Im wanting to go the full shebang and get some decent figures outta her.

Current situation: 1992 Nissan Safari TD42 w aftermarket Garrett GT35 turbo with AR60 front end. sitting at around 5lb loaded at 2000rpm, up to 17lb loaded at 3200 rpm. no intercooler, or changes to fuel pump

What I'd like: 10lb @1800 up to around 25lb @3000. I rarely push past 3000 and the torque curve of this motor is around the 2200 mark anyway so I'd like to keep the power there. What will I need to accomplish this. ie: what turbo, intercooler, boost compensator etc

cheers to all you gurus out there

nissannewby
23rd December 2015, 10:30 PM
Change your turbo. A gt35 is way to big for a td42. Probably some of the better bolt options are a ufi or gturbo.

mudski
24th December 2015, 02:14 AM
^^^^
What Mat said, plus an intercooler will do wonders and also a pump upgrade. Probably a minimum of turbo, pump and cooler. But theres 10k already spent. Lol.
This is a never ending goal, unless you have a well blooming money tree. I spent north of 15K on a full rebuild, which consists of 12mm pump, Garret GTX3071R Turbo, CC large IC, upgraded injectors, ceramic coated pistons, stelite valves, heavier valve springs, minor head work and what else was done.
I'm seeing 160rwkw. Now I want more. Lol
But I have to upgrade the intake system first. So it will stay like this for a while I reckon. A few other things are higher on the list.

gubigfish
24th December 2015, 02:35 AM
quite a few on here have almost completed the UFI turbo setup, i'm in the very early stages of this. When i spokr to them they told me 13k drive away for the 18g Turbo, CC Intercooler, Fatz 4" in and out airbox, 4" snorkel and 12mm pump fitted and tuned just depends on how deep your pockets are as to whats possible.

tuckertrucker
25th December 2015, 06:41 AM
yeah youre right about the money tree :) I wonder what the GT35 is worth. I could possibly take the truck to the shop and trade the GT35 for something better suited to the truck. THe turbo went on when it was my fathers truck and the guy who did it made a few strang mistakes that made little sense at all - like giving the truck back to us WITHOUT the radiator fan installed!

whats a few decent turbos that'll suit my needs without destroying the pocket? It also needs a 3" outlet flange as I don't want to rebiuld the exhaust.

cheers and merry christmas

jff45
25th December 2015, 09:56 AM
You could quickly reach a point where your standard RE4R03A won't handle it..

Rocket55
25th December 2015, 10:24 AM
First up you need to work out what power level you want. Don't get too hung up on boost numbers. Gturbo tend to make similar power to UFI turbos but at a few psi less. Then you have Performance 4x4 gear. Your target power levels will dictate what turbo, pump, intercooler, intake, airbox and snorkle you need, oh don't forget a set of squirters. Remember though if you up the power too much you'll also be up for a new clutch and depending onhow far you go (you said you want the full shebang) you standard "heavy duty" clutches won't hold it either, so now you're looking at custom or modded clutches. Stick with the bigger guys (UFI, Diesel Central, Gturbo, Performance 4x4, etc.) and you should be fine as they all make good gear. Which is best? there's many threads about it, but it's a bit of a Holden v's Ford thing. When people quote power levels they always speak about rear wheel power and not flywheel power which is what car manufacturers quote. Horsepower isn't cheap so do it once and do it right.

jff45
25th December 2015, 05:09 PM
He has an auto trans..

Rocket55
25th December 2015, 05:30 PM
Are the Safari's an auto??

jff45
25th December 2015, 06:57 PM
Are the Safari's an auto??

They had the auto option. His sig says he has a RE4R03A.
My Safari engine imported from Japan had the auto flexplate on it already and IP has the part number for auto version. That's why I bought it to mate to my auto.
They never offered the auto in the TD42 GU.

tuckertrucker
27th December 2015, 11:49 AM
Sorry guys I've been away for a while. Yeah shes an auto. Every second safari/ patrol over here is an auto. Very common.I am a little worried about the auto as jff45 said, it'll begin to slip as the standard clutches and line pressure can't hold that much torque. Im looking into a manual conversion anyway so the clutch is something I was wondering about.

Definately gonna have to do my research into it a bit more aye haha. More power comes more responsibility :)