PDA

View Full Version : 2009 CRD GU Manual 3.0L

mills63
22nd December 2015, 11:56 AM
Ok Guys.
I have noticed the gears grinding in my 2009 GU 3.0 manual.
It is not real bad but it is in all gears.
I can slow the revs down and it changes better. It seems to get better when it warms up.
My thoughts
1) I changed the oil it was due any way 120,000 and added some Nulon G70 in the box. There was very few metal flakes in the old oil and almost nothing on the drain plug

2) I recently had the transfer case replaced and wondered if the gear shift selector or similar could have been damaged or bent.

Any suggestions
Thanks
Steve

NissanGQ4.2
22nd December 2015, 12:19 PM
Hi Steve,

Welcome 2 the forum, when you get a chance could you head over 2 the introduction section of the forum ( Link can be found in my signature ) and tell us a little bit about yourself and your rig.

I have also moved your question into the gearbox section of the forum.

Cheers,

Todd

happygu
22nd December 2015, 06:42 PM
Steve,

Was it doing the same thing before you changed the oil?

Is there much free travel in the clutch pedal before it engages?

mills63
23rd December 2015, 08:02 AM
Steve,

Was it doing the same thing before you changed the oil?

Is there much free travel in the clutch pedal before it engages?

Hi
yes was doing the same thing before oil change. Thought the oil change might help.
there is about 2" to 3" play from memory will check that today.

Thanks
Steve

happygu
23rd December 2015, 09:36 AM
Steve,

Too much free travel might mean that the clutch is not disengaging fully ... which could then cause this problem.

Less likely - but still maybe an issue, you may need to try lighter viscosity oil as the oil you are using may be too heavy, and could be causing the gears to stick even with the Nulon treatment.

My old GQ would be hard to shift between first to second when cold, and then OK once warmed up ... I just learned to live with it.

Mic

wildgu6
24th December 2015, 09:35 AM
Steve,

Too much free travel might mean that the clutch is not disengaging fully ... which could then cause this problem.

Less likely - but still maybe an issue, you may need to try lighter viscosity oil as the oil you are using may be too heavy, and could be causing the gears to stick even with the Nulon treatment.

My old GQ would be hard to shift between first to second when cold, and then OK once warmed up ... I just learned to live with it.

Mic

X2 with Mic, had same issue with my old 98 GU / 2.8,
500ml of tranny fluid in the box sorted the problem for me.
Just thins the gear oil down.

Cheers Pete

GeeYou8
24th December 2015, 08:09 PM
By grinding, do you mean crunching as you change?
My GU2 was a bit hard to down shift when cold, but would come good after a couple of minutes.
I am a firm beleiver in using the OEM oil, it can make a difference, I know it is only rebranded packaging, but it seems to work properly.
BTW my sister had a Toyota T-18 in the '80s that you couldn't down shift at all when it was cold, I had a Ford Laser at the same time & it had ATF in the box.
Graham