PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic Tyre Beads

BillsGU
17th December 2015, 12:39 PM
Just had five 285XR75X16 Maxxis 980 AT's fitted. The tyre guy talked me into using ceramic beads instead of wheel weights. I was not sure they would work on larger tyres but they are brilliant. Just went for a run around town and also on the freeway varying the speed from zero to 110 kph and there is no vibration at all. The best thing is that in theory the tyres should never need rebalancing, as they rebalance themselves continuously. Also, I don’t have to worry about weights coming unstuck on the mags.

Good so far. I guess time will tell.

Sir Roofy
17th December 2015, 12:49 PM
let us know after a good run in the bush uneven roads and pot holes

BigRAWesty
17th December 2015, 12:51 PM
Just had five 285XR75X16 Maxxis 980 AT's fitted. The tyre guy talked me into using ceramic beads instead of wheel weights. I was not sure they would work on larger tyres but they are brilliant. Just went for a run around town and also on the freeway varying the speed from zero to 110 kph and there is no vibration at all. The best thing is that in theory the tyres should never need rebalancing, as they rebalance themselves continuously. Also, I don’t have to worry about weights coming unstuck on the mags.

Good so far. I guess time will tell.
Nice one. I was toying with the idea aswell.
They should work well on larger tyres as a lot of trucks run them, but mainly motor bikes.

Bob
17th December 2015, 01:24 PM
Interested in this.
Have requested details from my Tyre Supplier.

threedogs
17th December 2015, 01:36 PM
They sit in the bottom of your tyre when stationary and balance up the tyre every time you move.
If a tyre shop cant balance your tyre correctly he's in the wrong game. Most 4x4s that use these "beads"
run Centipede tyres which after a while are a rat to balance

Bob
17th December 2015, 02:44 PM
Video demonstrating Tyre Beads

http://www.abcbeads.com.au/#!video-demo/ci59

and how they work

http://www.abcbeads.com.au/#!how-they-work/c1qc9

It is going to cost me just under $100 to have 5 Tyres fitted through Bob Jane (Bendigo)

Will let you know my thoughts after I use for a period of time

sooty_10
17th December 2015, 02:53 PM
What minimum speed do they work at? At slow speeds are they effective?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Bob
17th December 2015, 02:57 PM

Not sure but Bill says he has tested through the speed range with good results.

Will let you know

BigRAWesty
17th December 2015, 03:42 PM
It depends on the size of the shot as to when they ballance.
The smaller the shot the lighter the weight the sooner they ballance.

mudnut
17th December 2015, 04:12 PM
Do they shot blast the paint off the inside of the rim?

BigRAWesty
17th December 2015, 05:28 PM
No. It's not that much force. And most the time it's on the rubber..

BillsGU
17th December 2015, 10:39 PM
It depends on the size of the shot as to when they ballance.
The smaller the shot the lighter the weight the sooner they ballance.

Not quite. The larger the tyre the more you put in. The 33 inch tyres I have required 8 oz of beads. Passenger tyres, motorbike tyres etc need less beads.

BillsGU
17th December 2015, 10:42 PM

I guess you really don't have tyre balance problems at very low speeds. But I have been mucking around with them all day (as you would) and I can't fault them so far at any speed or any surface. Amazing really.

Mine were $20 a bag (for 8 oz size) - but when you consider that you never need to balance the wheels again - I guess it's a bargain. And maybe with some Patrols it may even fix the 80 kph vibrations? It would be interesting to find out.

GeeYou8
18th December 2015, 08:38 AM
I thought they might rub off the wax coating inside the tyre.
Also how easy are they to transfer when you get new tyres or do you just get new ones?
Graham

BigRAWesty
18th December 2015, 09:26 AM
I thought they might rub off the wax coating inside the tyre.
Also how easy are they to transfer when you get new tyres or do you just get new ones?
Graham
There a throw away item at a tyre change.
They are small enough to fit threw the valve stem. That's how small were talking.

Bill did the one bag do all 4 tyres?

A couple of things people said when I was researching them.
You have to careful that you keep the air dry going into it.. any excessive moisture and the shots can stick together or in place.
You risk loosing them when you roll a bead off the rim.

But most people are very happy with them.

Clunk
18th December 2015, 09:32 AM
Dont why they couldnt be re-used

qwertytank
18th December 2015, 10:27 AM
Most Tractors have water filled tyres (with a bit of anti freeze)... Is this the same idea??

BillsGU
18th December 2015, 11:47 AM
There a throw away item at a tyre change.
They are small enough to fit threw the valve stem. That's how small were talking.

Bill did the one bag do all 4 tyres?

The bags come in different weights. You buy the bag for each tyre (in my case each tyre needed one 8 oz bag) and the entire bag is put inside the tyre when it is placed on the rim. The bag then breaks up and the beads do their job. Trying to open the bag beforehand would be messy as the sand sized balls could spill.

I asked about their lifespan and was told they would easily last the life of the tyres. I'm not sure - but I would imaging that they would wear over time and it would not be practical or worthwhile to vacuum them up and put them into another tyre. When airing down it would be a good idea to not have the valve at the very bottom - otherwise I don't see a problem as they would all be sitting in the very bottom of the tyre when it has stopped.

Bob
18th December 2015, 11:49 AM
Here is a site with full details

http://www.equaltyrebalancing.com.au/

BillsGU
18th December 2015, 11:51 AM
Most Tractors have water filled tyres (with a bit of anti freeze)... Is this the same idea??

No. Waterfilled tyres serve two rolls. If the tyre has a blow out there is less chance of flame / fire (as used in mining equipment) and for tractors it is used to put weight at the very bottom of the wheel and so lowering the tractor's centre of gravity. This makes it more stable on slopes.

BigRAWesty
18th December 2015, 12:29 PM
Water also acts like a shock absorber and deadens and jolts..
I might look into again after new years.

Bob
18th December 2015, 12:32 PM
Water also acts like a shock absorber and deadens and jolts..
I might look into again after new years.

Mine will be installed on Monday of next week so should be able to give you a Report after Xmas . Will be doing 800/1000 odd K's.
Between Bill and I you should have an idea of performance

sooty_10
18th December 2015, 02:49 PM
Sounds good bob. Im looking at new wheels and tyres very very soon and would contemplate utilising these beads if the work.

As i use an arb quick deflator, which removes the valve, I'm definitely curious about potential for grains to get stuck in the valve or thread etc causing problems.
However as stated if you deflate with valves at top or side shouldn't be a problem.....

threedogs
18th December 2015, 05:48 PM
Sounds good bob. Im looking at new wheels and tyres very very soon and would contemplate utilising these beads if the work.

As i use an arb quick deflator, which removes the valve, I'm definitely curious about potential for grains to get stuck in the valve or thread etc causing problems.
However as stated if you deflate with valves at top or side shouldn't be a problem.....

Even if you pulled up with your valves at the bottom ,you'll be fine.

dads tractor
19th December 2015, 08:32 PM
Originally designed for Super single truck tires. Watch when u air down that they don't get under the valve stem other than that cant beat them . (had them for 18 months )

Warwick89
30th December 2015, 01:37 AM
I guess you really don't have tyre balance problems at very low speeds. But I have been mucking around with them all day (as you would) and I can't fault them so far at any speed or any surface. Amazing really.

Mine were $20 a bag (for 8 oz size) - but when you consider that you never need to balance the wheels again - I guess it's a bargain. And maybe with some Patrols it may even fix the 80 kph vibrations? It would be interesting to find out.

So how have you found the beads after a few more days of use?

BillsGU
31st December 2015, 10:01 AM
So how have you found the beads after a few more days of use?

No problem at all so far. I am very impressed. Not a lot of mud around this time of the year so I don't know if it will balance a rim full of mud - but it works really well at the moment.

BillsGU
18th February 2016, 09:33 PM
Well - I have now racked up a few thousand kilometres with the beads installed and initially all went very well. When I was on a trip in the High Country above Mitta the Patrol started getting vibrations in the front wheels. This came and went and gradually got worse. I continued over the mountains, down the Clyde and on to Batemans Bay. The vibrations were happening all the time by now. I spoke to another Patrol owner who has beads in his tyres and he said his tyre place recommended 12 ounces in 285 (33 inch) tyres. I added another four ounces to each tyre and all is now perfect again - no vibration whatsoever coming through the steering wheel. It seems that the larger tyres just need a bit more than the bead manufacturer recommends. I know from previous experience that some 4WD tyres are difficult to balance and the extra beads seem to do the job.

I'll keep you posted.

jet
25th February 2016, 05:00 PM
Had them in for 30,000km. sometimes seem to settle and vibrations increase, give tyre a few kicks or a hit with mallet and they reset and work well.
Do a good job with mud in rims

BillsGU
25th February 2016, 09:19 PM
Had them in for 30,000km. sometimes seem to settle and vibrations increase, give tyre a few kicks or a hit with mallet and they reset and work well.
Do a good job with mud in rims

That's odd. Something must be making them stick together.

BigRAWesty
25th February 2016, 09:24 PM
Moisture is the big killer of them
The home air compressor is a big killer with moisture..
If you find your draining water often best to fit a water seperater

Warwick89
3rd March 2016, 12:27 AM
Hey fellas, couple of questions:
1. How well do they work at lower speeds?
2. Any issues with lower tyre pressures?

Cheers Warwick

BillsGU
3rd March 2016, 07:47 PM
Hey fellas, couple of questions:
1. How well do they work at lower speeds?
2. Any issues with lower tyre pressures?

Cheers Warwick

Wheels normally don't have a balance problem at low speed. When letting air out it would be a good idea to not have the valve at the bottom of the wheel.

GeeYou8
3rd March 2016, 10:41 PM
On the subject of moisture, apparently dry air is nearly as good at nitrogen for road going tyres. A SCUBA tank is great for inflation, the air is dry & you can get enough flow to reseat a bead. Would also stop ceramic beads from clumping.
We have a refrigerated dryer on the compressor at work, so perfect for tyre inflation, it is just the portable compressor that is going to put water into the tyres.
Graham

mudnut
4th March 2016, 02:45 PM
So basically I have come to the conclusion that these beads are for roaduse . I can see that airing up and down with an on board compressor, or at a garage you will get moisture in the tyre and render the beads useless. The cost of installing a worthwhile moisture separator would be prohibitive.

stevemc181
14th January 2017, 10:56 AM
Dredging up an old post, but I'll put my experience with beads here anyway.

I was running balancing beads on my NW Pajero with 265/70/17 Mickey T ATZ P3's and aftermarket King Alloy Wheels. I found they were ok, but not perfect and ended up removing them and going back to a traditional balance. I had one tyre that I couldn't get quite correct with the beads, I moved the tyre to various positions on the wheel and also changed the weight of beads applied, trying to find a sweet spot.
I gave up and contacted the bead manufacturer, there response was to have the wheel balanced with weights and then apply the beads. Defeated the whole purpose for me as the reason for going with beads in the first place was to get rid of lead weights on the rim that keep getting knocked off in the mud.

I also found that using an ARB EZ deflator, I would occasionally get a bead stuck up in the bottom of the valve stem, but a quick on/off of the deflator usually cleared it.