PDA

View Full Version : TD4.2 oil in coolant, occasional coughing fit

ForgeCreekFerals4x4
15th December 2015, 01:07 PM
So theres been a few overheating issues in the 1999 td4.2 and a few weeks ago i gave the cooling system a complete overhaul, new water pump, thermostat, fan (old one was cracked) and hoses etc etc and i got the radiator proffessionally cleaned. when i went to pick it up, he said he found a tiny amount of oil film in the lower tank. Anyway, shes the daily driver that didnt get driven for about a week the other day after it was all put back together, when i started her up after about 5-6 days, she coughed up a bit of bluey white smoke. thoughts on what could be the problem? I thought head gasket but im not sure.

also the radiator bloke asked what coolant i run and i said id be putting Nulon back in, he sort of groaned and said that although Nulon isnt the worst, it sometimes causes problems dependant on the car. He groaned louder when i told him it was premix too, he reckons thats even worse. i dont really have a choice, its bore water or no water at my place and i wasn't putting that in the radiator! so has anyone ever had issues with Nulon?

thanks
shan

jff45
15th December 2015, 01:27 PM
I used Nulon Longlife at 50% mix with demineralised water in my TB45E for the last 8 years. I changed it every 2 years even it still looked like new.
I never added a drop of coolant between changes but the the car wasn't driven a lot.
I'm using the same in the TD42T I've just installed.

I would expect a professional to be able to give a sound technical reason if they claim a product is inadequate.

The problems that are generally caused by coolants is when people mix different types and don't correctly flush their cooling system.

ForgeCreekFerals4x4
15th December 2015, 01:36 PM
basically he said if it mixes with old stuff or if it gets old, it will causes erosion and blockages, but i would have thought would have been the case for all coolants not just nulon, good to know about it being in use for 8 years without an issue, i change mine every two years. since we've had the gu, it doesnt seem to use a drop either which is good haha

threedogs
15th December 2015, 04:48 PM
Check Rockets build thread top of page one ,,
he's been running it [Nulon] for years in all his Patrols no problems

mudski
15th December 2015, 11:32 PM
Yeah i run the same coolant. No issues here. I change mine every 12months though...

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

ForgeCreekFerals4x4
17th December 2015, 03:15 PM
excellent stuff to know cheers guys haha :)

Snafu
30th December 2015, 01:43 AM
In regards to coolant everytime I do a oil change I remove a litre or so and replace with fresh mixed 50:50 with demin water. So the coolant is getting constantly turned over so to speak running genuine nissan coolant, have done this with all my cars and never had corrosion issues.
FCF4x4 you mentioned bore water only use it in an emergency. Do you have access to rain water this would be a much better option. The best is demineralised water but be warned demin water by itself is corrosive hence the need for coolant.