PDA

View Full Version : Who has "memory foam"

threedogs
14th December 2015, 11:11 AM
Hi all trying to get a new softer mattress from my insurance Co.
I have been supplied a "memory foam" mattress topper to trial.
Any thoughts on this would be great, all I want is a decent sleep.
I have a very firm King Coil ATM so anything a bit softer would be great.

BigRAWesty
14th December 2015, 12:26 PM
Just gone to one and love it.
Must admit it takes a little getting use to as it molds to your body and makes turning a little harder but the support is wicked..

Down side it is hotter..

Maxhead
14th December 2015, 01:29 PM
Must admit it takes a little getting use to as it molds to your body and makes turning a little harder but the support is wicked..

Down side it is hotter..

Yep, They're pretty good and if you get the gel infused or topped ones they stay cool

threedogs
14th December 2015, 02:13 PM

Down side it is hotter..

Yeah I have a trial one and straight away I thought it was hotter, not good with summer coming up me thinks.
As for turning Im like a beached whale and find it very difficult at the best of times.
Will know more in the morning, thanks Kallen thanks heaps
Gel infused Ill get some more info, again thanks NH

taslucas
14th December 2015, 02:15 PM
I think I do but I forgot

tappin from tassie

mudski
14th December 2015, 10:51 PM
Yeah we got a memory foam thingo on top of our matress. We bought a bed from beds for backs as I was like a fricken robot in the mornings trying to get out of bed. So we took the plunge and spent a small fortune on this flash fully adjustable, independent suspension bed with the medium memory foam. Gawd its comfy!

MudRunnerTD
14th December 2015, 11:40 PM
I have a Tempur Mattress. I have had it for 12 years and it is THE BEST THING EVER!!!!.

Temper developed Memory Foam for NASA and the Space Shuttle back in the day. I was looking for something for a Bad Back and also something that would let me get into bed after night shift and not wake the missus. I have Never looked back.

They now do a couple of different options, when i bought mine it was only one and Top Dollar. I reckon mine is as good today as the day i bought it 12 years ago.

There is No Pressure points, no crunched shoulders. I also use a Memory Foam pillow by Tempur too and that is as old as the bed and as good as the day i bought it.

Can not speak highly enough of it. No it does not get hot in Summer, Rubber does but Tempur doesn't. Thats the point actually, it breathes.

au.tempur.com (http://au.tempur.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-tem_au-Site/en_AU/Default-Start?gclid=CjwKEAiAmeyxBRCJxoKk7IWLl2oSJABvZjhhqY l7I7uzc3cZF8vDnPI0HszzHEIZtF5P-djMXj5CPRoCtsvw_wcB)

I dont have one of their bases, if i had my time again and could afford it i would also buy their base. They were the original designers of the tensioned slat design. You can fit your bed head and foot to their base without too much trouble, their bases are awesome.

No Hesitation 3D, Cant believe your not already on one mate.

MudRunnerTD
14th December 2015, 11:41 PM
I also have a 2" topper on my camper mattress which is a 4" inner spring, it helps but it has nothing on the full Tempur.

Clunk
15th December 2015, 02:18 AM
Pretty sure we've had this topic discussed before but anyhoooo.

We've had our Beautyrest Daydream 29 memory foam mattress (from HardlyNormal) for over 18 months now and still love it. As you may or may not know, I suffer from ankylosing spondylitis and also have issues with shoulder and neck pain. I'm no longer waking up every hour because of my neck or shoulders, I still don't sleep brilliantly but it's a vast improvement on what it was.

Do yourself a favour, go to a bed place, go and lay on a few for a good 20 to 30 mins at least in each type. Just because a mattress is memory foam , doesn't mean they'll all be the same. As with any mattress, they're all different, MR rates his Tempur one highly but I didn't like them as much as the one I bought. Cost wise they're pretty similar, with the Tempur ones being slightly more expensive. We actually got ours on 40% off but that wasn't the deciding factor.

Oh and get yourself a damn good pillow. We also bought the Beautyrest memory foam jobbies, excellent pillows but bloody expensive at $250 a pop, but again we got ours on a 2 for 1 deal, otherwise we wouldn't have bothered. So glad we did though, they're bloody brilliant, specially with the bed as well.

But like I said before, you need to try a mattress out for at least 20 mins and see if you can get one on a 30 day trial, as it'll take a couple of weeks or so for your body to get used to the difference in mattresses.

It's a shit load of money to pay for a mattress, but we're glad we did..... Just hope we get some longevity out of it.

Hodge
15th December 2015, 06:28 AM
Might be getting one soon our selves as my back is slowly on it's way to the shithouse from climbing the ladders and hanging off those tower lines all those years.
We'll be going to a bed place and check it out.
I agree with Clunk though. Walk into a store and lay down on one for a good period on time, not just for a few seconds and say "oh this feels ok".

threedogs
15th December 2015, 07:16 AM
I received a PM from a member recommending a particular brand not Tempur
Gotta say first night on that topper,"worse sleep ever" I feel like crap
this morning. I'll give it another night and then flick it I think, and
yes it was very hot to sleep in.

Also Im told the OH&S lady told the insurance Co that I required
a new mattress along with other aids, but they failed to act.
I think the Tempur "Cloud" is the one, anyone know what the 21, 28 means ?

Clunk
15th December 2015, 02:41 PM
I received a PM from a member recommending a particular brand not Tempur
Gotta say first night on that topper,"worse sleep ever" I feel like crap
this morning. I'll give it another night and then flick it I think, and
yes it was very hot to sleep in.

Also Im told the OH&S lady told the insurance Co that I required
a new mattress along with other aids, but they failed to act.
I think the Tempur "Cloud" is the one, anyone know what the 21, 28 means ?
Probably means the thickness, how thick is the topper youve been given to try? Might not be thick enough but if its making you hot, it wont be of any use, try using sheets with less thread count

threedogs
15th December 2015, 03:20 PM
Its only about 50mm maybe 60mm with a slip cover on it.
Hes trying to sell me a topper of some description and only a topper
He's driven by insurance I think to save them money, I requested
a mattress as per my Doctor, and this OH&S guy is trying the
cheapest way out. I dont think he has my interest in hand

threedogs
16th December 2015, 12:02 PM
Second night craps sleep removing it now

BigRAWesty
16th December 2015, 01:21 PM
Bugger. Is it just to hot or what?? Mine took a few nights to get use to. But now sleep like a baby..

threedogs
16th December 2015, 01:42 PM
Ok on that Ill give it another night but like you the nights are starting to get warm

BigRAWesty
16th December 2015, 02:53 PM
Ok on that Ill give it another night but like you the nights are starting to get warm
Grab a pedistall fan and have that just ticking over threw the night on ya.
That what we have but the house has no AC so it's sorta a must this time of year

threedogs
16th December 2015, 03:11 PM
I have a fan going but the missus was getting too cold and I was boiling cant win eh
Not putting the air con on with the price of power these days Ill save it for the 40 plus days lol

Winnie
16th December 2015, 03:15 PM
I have a fan going but the missus was getting too cold and I was boiling cant win eh

Story of my bloody life!!!!