PDA

View Full Version : Improved fuel consumption.

Cuppa
12th December 2015, 08:34 PM
When I first bought my car I averaged 1000 kms for both tanks. After adding all the weight of the camper & the wind resistance of the roof top tent I averaged 950kms. This remained the same after getting the exhaust & dyno tune, albeit it went a lot better.
Well I’ve just completed another two tankfulls & have been surprised to get 1050kms. An extra 100kms range which is very pleasing. Driving style has remained constant, with the usual mix of driving (around town, towing, & country driving). Two things were different. I ran a bottle of injector cleaner through it (bought when Supercheap had them on special at $2 a bottle) but to be honest it doesn’t feel any different to drive so I doubt that’s what’s given the improvement. I think it may be down to the removal of the rooftop tent & less wind resistance, although the height of the pod plus roof mounted solar is still a bit of a wind catcher. Hard to believe that taking the tent off could give an extra 100kms but I’m not complaining.

the evil twin
12th December 2015, 08:59 PM
Yep, it will be the tent, or rather lack of, for sure... One less passenger (lighter weight and better aero).

Cuppa
12th December 2015, 09:14 PM
Yep, it will be the tent, or rather lack of, for sure... One less passenger (lighter weight and better aero).

Sure, but it’s still 50kms better than when purchased in stock Telstra trim (i.e.. Empty pod & no roof top tent , jus the ladder rack. ) makes me wonder if the injector cleaner was a good $2 investment - would be nice if it was - I bought half a dozen bottles.

nissannewby
12th December 2015, 09:35 PM
Less effort required to maintain speed than before cuppa.

threedogs
13th December 2015, 10:39 AM
Just a roof rack on my other 4x4 pulled 50Ks a tank from my range of 1200K.

Hodge
13th December 2015, 11:26 AM
Just a roof rack on my other 4x4 pulled 50Ks a tank from my range of 1200K.
Yeah both my Patrols so far lost heaps of range with roof rack alone.

I reckon the roof top tent being off the car helped greatly .

Tapatalked from S6

Avo
13th December 2015, 08:49 PM
yep,Jess's car uses about 16-17lt per 100km country trips,take the roof rack off(rhino with awening) and on country trips it drops down to 13-14..with the rooftop tent awening on it uses anything up to 18lt/100km

GeeYou8
14th December 2015, 09:33 PM
When I had a 2.8 Hilux, a bottle of injector cleaner improved range from a tank by around 5 to 10%. In my GU2 not as big change, haven't tried in the new bus as it only has 20 000km on it.