PDA

View Full Version : GU IV 3.0 Oil Cooler Leak?

bsteveo
8th December 2015, 07:14 PM
Hi all. Recently serviced my '06 GU IV 3.0. About 2 weeks later I've noticed a small leaking of oil. I've hosed and degreased the underside of the vehicle as the oil drips and leaks onto the diff, motor and even hits the exhaust (this is what brought my attention to the leak). It appears to me it's the oil cooler gasket as it's just slightly towards the right side of the oil filter drip tray (if you're under the car). Filter is tightened to the correct nm as specified by the manual, right amount of oil was put in and all seals were lubed up. So apart from the oil cooler gasket, I have no idea what the leak could be as it is minimal. Any recommendations for a service center in Melb that can help with this issue would be appreciated. Thank you.

threedogs
8th December 2015, 08:03 PM
What side of town are you on ???? you can see
David at Guest 4wd in Fairfield or Paul out at outback 4wd in Bayswater

mudski
8th December 2015, 08:38 PM
Its not common for the cooler to leak. Have a look at the oil drain tube from the turbo. The gasket from the tube to turbo is common'ish to leak.
Also look at the intercooler. While its on top of the motor, if this is leaking, and you dont have a catch can, and your motor is a heavy breather, oil will be evident thats for sure.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

bsteveo
8th December 2015, 08:41 PM
What side of town are you on ???? you can see
David at Guest 4wd in Fairfield or Paul out at outback 4wd in Bayswater

I'm in the west, but don't mind driving for good service. Drive to the north and east for work anyway.

bsteveo
8th December 2015, 08:43 PM
Its not common for the cooler to leak. Have a look at the oil drain tube from the turbo. The gasket from the tube to turbo is common'ish to leak.
Also look at the intercooler. While its on top of the motor, if this is leaking, and you dont have a catch can, and your motor is a heavy breather, oil will be evident thats for sure.

Didn't think it was common as searching on here and on google resulted in no answers. You talking about the drain tube thats under the oil filter tray? If so it's not coming from there.

bsteveo
8th December 2015, 08:49 PM

the black tube there is where the oil filter is, just to give a rough idea of where the leak is coming from

bsteveo
8th December 2015, 08:50 PM
Intercooler seems clean also

mudski
8th December 2015, 08:56 PM
Didn't think it was common as searching on here and on google resulted in no answers. You talking about the drain tube thats under the oil filter tray? If so it's not coming from there.
No, the tube from the turbo to the block. Where it bolts to the turbo. Can often leak.

bsteveo
8th December 2015, 09:12 PM
I'll look into it after work tomorrow, last i checked the turbo and surrounds were clean and free of oil, it's just that spot under the car

bsteveo
12th December 2015, 09:27 AM
No, the tube from the turbo to the block. Where it bolts to the turbo. Can often leak.

Sorry for the delay, 'tomorrow after work' never got round to happening lol. Just had a thorough check of everything. Intercooler is clean, same with all the hoses, all hoses to the turbo. All connections to the turbo are dry, no oil on in or around it either. Nothing coming from the filter or tray either. I've attached63204 a broader photo, The reason I say oil cooler is because when laying under the car it looks like where the cooler and block are connected. If it's not that I have no idea what and I hope someone can help me so I can stop putting off driving her.

bsteveo
12th December 2015, 05:44 PM
Any ideas anyone?

mudski
13th December 2015, 05:55 PM
Any ideas anyone?
You will have a better idea than any of us as you have the car there. We dont. You will have take a better look.
Degrease that area and then see exactly where the leak is coming from.

Col.T
20th December 2015, 06:41 PM
G'day mate (although a bit late).
Presume all is fixed by now.
If not, a possible cause is simply from the oil filter housing. If it's not wiped dry after changing the filter, or if there's been a minor spill a small quantity dribbles down into that area. It's not an ongoing leak.
As Mudski says, clean it all and keep watching.
Luck
Col

bsteveo
23rd December 2015, 04:44 PM
G'day mate (although a bit late).
Presume all is fixed by now.
If not, a possible cause is simply from the oil filter housing. If it's not wiped dry after changing the filter, or if there's been a minor spill a small quantity dribbles down into that area. It's not an ongoing leak.
As Mudski says, clean it all and keep watching.
Luck
Col
Hey Col. Still not fixed yet, just finished up work for the year today and have 2 weeks off so going to begin my investigations tomorrow. I have a feeling you're right, as I had no leaks at all before I services the car. The filter housing was tightened to the correct nm of torque as per my service manual but it could still be leaking, the surround of the housing is dry which has me stuffed. Going to book into a mechanic in the coming weeks if I can find anything around the housing.

Sent from my HTC_0PKV1 using Tapatalk

threedogs
23rd December 2015, 04:58 PM
Sometimes and I mean sometimes a mechanic wont change the "O" ring on the filter housing,
or the drip tray tube may be blocked and only now its free..
It happened to me ,the "O" ring thing gave me the yips I tell you.

bsteveo
23rd December 2015, 05:21 PM
Sometimes and I mean sometimes a mechanic wont change the "O" ring on the filter housing,
I did the service my self so the housing ring was changed 100%, all lubed up properly and tightened to the correct nm. The turbo, filter housing and tray aren't oily, a bit greasy though. After degreasing and a good inspection the oil cooler doesn't seem to be leaking , but its a small metal block just below where the drip tray is that's connected to the actual motor block. That small gap is where its actually dripping from, saturating my diff and exhaust . Also found a few drops of coolant around the pullys, which also suspects the oil cooler. Ugh so frustrating being new to all this.

bsteveo
4th January 2016, 09:47 PM
Threedogs you were close mate. Finally got it round to a mechanic, turns out the O ring on the filter was cracked. I literally just changed it and tightened the thing to the correct nm, must have been a dodgy seal.