PDA

View Full Version : Stabaliser or not

wildgu6
8th December 2015, 05:08 PM
Hi guys, dumb question time. Last trol I had, had no front stabiliser bar, new trolls got a beefy bar on front.
Not convinced with handling off road, old trol was killa off road.
My question is do I need a stabaliser on the front or not, what are the alternatives?
What is involved with disconnectable sway bar links, are they worth it and is it a hassle to disconnect/re-connect.
Who's got what and what are your thoughts.

Cheers Pete

threedogs
8th December 2015, 05:14 PM
You can buy quick disconnect swaybars try Superior engineering, Michael will sort you out.
They are required for a RWC. Ill find a link for you

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Front-Sway-Bar-Disconnects-extension-links-3-Lift-for-Nissan-Y61-GU-Patrol-/301758953239?hash=item46423c3717:g:FB4AAOSwWnFV-TMy

wildgu6
8th December 2015, 05:55 PM
Cheers TD, they look easy enough, but after a day of play, covered in mud and poop, would they be painful to re connect before heading back on the black top

threedogs
8th December 2015, 06:02 PM
I dont use them but MR would have them or maybe Winnie

Winnie
8th December 2015, 06:20 PM
I dont use them but MR would have them or maybe Winnie
Nah not me.
I have removed my front sway bar and kept the rear in. I only noticed a very small change in the handling on road but a massive difference offroad. I definitely recommend!
Anyway if you don't like it without them in, it's a 10min job to bolt it back up

wildgu6
8th December 2015, 06:39 PM
Nah not me.
I have removed my front sway bar and kept the rear in. I only noticed a very small change in the handling on road but a massive difference offroad. I definitely recommend!
Anyway if you don't like it without them in, it's a 10min job to bolt it back up

Cheers bud, like I said, didn't have one on last trol and had no issues, might give it a try on this one, even though I do like the way it handles on the road.

AB
8th December 2015, 06:42 PM
Cheers bud, like I said, didn't have one on last trol and had no issues, might give it a try on this one, even though I do like the way it handles on the road. x2 on Winnie from my experience noticed very little difference on road, the rear however does make a substantial difference and I was lucky to have oem disconnect on rear.

Having saying all this though the front would make a huge difference if you had to swerve hard emergency left and right to avoid an accident :(

MudRunnerTD
8th December 2015, 07:14 PM
You can buy quick disconnect swaybars try Superior engineering, Michael will sort you out.
They are required for a RWC. Ill find a link for you

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Front-Sway-Bar-Disconnects-extension-links-3-Lift-for-Nissan-Y61-GU-Patrol-/301758953239?hash=item46423c3717:g:FB4AAOSwWnFV-TMy

I fitted them to my GQ and they are hideous things to reconnect.

wildgu6
8th December 2015, 07:18 PM
I fitted them to my GQ and they are hideous things to reconnect.

Cheers MR, that's what I was afraid of, so what do you run now, or what would you recommend?

MudRunnerTD
8th December 2015, 07:35 PM
I don't have a front sway on either patrol but have drop boxes on both. I have a extra HD rear sway bar on the GUIV and it's great. Keen to put a rear to the GQ too. If anyone has a late model rear sway bar off a GUIV or later I'd be keen to buy it.

mudski
8th December 2015, 09:53 PM
While i agree about having no front sway bar, theresnot much difference, but there is no way in hell i will remove it. I will not risk my hard work, time and money I've poured into Patrol to just to have better off road performance. When simply unbolting it will do the same thing. Last thing is having to make a claim with my insurance and they find out my car is unroadworthy and they deny my claim.
The five minutes it takes to climb under and unbolt a side is not worth the risk imo.
So to the ops question if he needs the stabilizer. Simple answer is yes. Or no if you want to run the risk with your insurance.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Winnie
8th December 2015, 10:30 PM
While i agree about having no front sway bar, theresnot much difference, but there is no way in hell i will remove it. I will not risk my hard work, time and money I've poured into Patrol to just to have better off road performance. When simply unbolting it will do the same thing. Last thing is having to make a claim with my insurance and they find out my car is unroadworthy and they deny my claim.
The five minutes it takes to climb under and unbolt a side is not worth the risk imo.
So to the ops question if he needs the stabilizer. Simple answer is yes. Or no if you want to run the risk with your insurance.

Don't you run 35s?

mudski
9th December 2015, 09:19 AM
Don't you run 35s?

Out in the bush yes. But 33inch AT's on the road.

taslucas
9th December 2015, 01:00 PM
Is the egr mod legal?

tappin from tassie

mudski
9th December 2015, 03:22 PM
Is the egr mod legal?

tappin from tassie
No. And i dont have one..

Maxhead
9th December 2015, 03:39 PM
Is the egr mod legal?

tappin from tassie

I don;t run one either but the insurance company would have a hard time justifying the EGR block caused an accident but the swaybar on the other hand...........
I always wanted the disconnects but I'm way to lazy to get out of the vehicle to connect and disconnect. Patrol goes pretty good with them on, for what I do anyways :)

taslucas
9th December 2015, 03:59 PM
I don;t run one either but the insurance company would have a hard time justifying the EGR block caused an accident but the swaybar on the other hand...........
I always wanted the disconnects but I'm way to lazy to get out of the vehicle to connect and disconnect. Patrol goes pretty good with them on, for what I do anyways :)
The insurance company would have a hard time proving that a cold air intake or catalytic converter-less exhaust caused an accident too but they are both things that make a car illegal and insurance companies don't insure illegal cars.

But I guess it's all about the size of the claim and how involved the assessor gets.

tappin from tassie

taslucas
9th December 2015, 04:00 PM
My trol has factory rear sway bar release and it makes a noticeable difference off road. Heaps of body roll if it's disconnected on road too, Woohoo!

tappin from tassie

Maxhead
9th December 2015, 04:23 PM
The insurance company would have a hard time proving that a cold air intake or catalytic converter-less exhaust caused an accident too but they are both things that make a car illegal and insurance companies don't insure illegal cars.

But I guess it's all about the size of the claim and how involved the assessor gets.

tappin from tassie

Yep agreed, even though the above would not affect the stability or handling of the car, still illegal.

Now, we just need to find a push button sway bar disconnect and I'll be happy...anyone???

Clunk
9th December 2015, 04:28 PM
Luckily mine also has a rear factory sway bar release.... specially for those Tuckin Tuesday and Flexin Friday moments ;)

mudski
9th December 2015, 04:57 PM
Now, we just need to find a push button sway bar disconnect and I'll be happy...anyone???

Yeah that would be good hey!
Ive been contemplating forking out the coin for those Superflex sway bars or the like. Apparently give you awesome off road flex while still giving you great on road support.

Winnie
9th December 2015, 05:04 PM
Luckily mine also has a rear factory sway bar release.... specially for those Tuckin Tuesday and Flexin Friday moments ;)

My 1992 ST petrol Patrol had the release, but my 1993 ST diesel doesn't.
Bloody spewing, I should have swapped it over when I had both cars.

threedogs
9th December 2015, 05:26 PM

Ahhhh hindsight dont you love it, and most of us have it by the bucket load, lol
couldve, shouldve, wouldve.

mudski
9th December 2015, 05:35 PM

Wonder if it could be retro fitted into the GU. Do one for the front too and have it all controlled via electric servo's and a push of a button. :D

taslucas
9th December 2015, 06:59 PM
Yep agreed, even though the above would not affect the stability or handling of the car, still illegal.

Push button? What's wrong with yanking on the handle until it feels like it's gonna snap off?

tappin from tassie

Clunk
9th December 2015, 07:11 PM
Push button? What's wrong with yanking on the handle until it feels like it's gonna snap off?

tappin from tassie

nothing quite like a damn hard yank on the handle to get the blood flowing

mudski
9th December 2015, 08:56 PM

tappin from tassie
Lol, you talking about something else?

taslucas
9th December 2015, 09:26 PM
nothing quite like a damn hard yank on the handle to get the blood flowing
As long as it doesn't snap off.

tappin from tassie

liftlid
10th December 2015, 08:11 AM
Wonder if it could be retro fitted into the GU. Do one for the front too and have it all controlled via electric servo's and a push of a button. :D
You need to get a jeep!

Winnie
10th December 2015, 08:22 AM
Out in the bush yes. But 33inch AT's on the road.

I will not risk my hard work, time and money I've poured into Patrol to just to have better off road performance.

Do you get what I'm saying though?
Is your TD legal?
Nearly every modified Patrol is unroadworthy in some ways. I have HID headlights and a light bar on the roof. I wonder if I'd be rejected a claim for that?

lucus30
10th December 2015, 08:38 AM
Is your TD legal?
Nearly every modified Patrol is unroadworthy in some ways. I have HID headlights and a light bar on the roof. I wonder if I'd be rejected a claim for that?
Lightbar on the roof isn't illegal in VIC any more

TPC
10th December 2015, 08:48 AM
Is your TD legal?

They are far more likely to reject a claim for a modification that can adversely affect the handling of the car like removing a sway bar.

mudski
10th December 2015, 02:20 PM
Is your TD legal?
Yes I do mate... But something as obvious as a missing sway bar is different to HID headlights, light bar etc etc. I just think for the less than five minutes it takes to remove the bolt out weighs no sway bar at all. Thats just my way of thinking.

Lightbar on the roof isn't illegal in VIC any more
Since when? There was only a discussion maybe last year and it was confirmed it is NOW legal...

They are far more likely to reject a claim for a modification that can adversely affect the handling of the car like removing a sway bar.
My point exactly. If one was to ever have a smash, I doubt your claim would be rejected if they found you had HID headlights or something. But! Having said that, who bloody knows these days! Having one less "illegal" mod on the car I suppose is one less thing they can pick on you for....
Next year I am taking my car to get an engies cert on everything. I have had mixed reports on 35's, some say yes some say no.

We should organise a "group buy" of engineers certs. Lol. We get say 10 or more cars together to go to one place, I wonder if they would discount the price. Or even bend the rules a bit. Hehe.

lucus30
10th December 2015, 02:30 PM
Since when? There was only a discussion maybe last year and it was confirmed it is NOW legal...

I think you misread my post. I was saying the same thing to winnie. I said light bars on the roof aren't illegal in VIC any more

Winnie
10th December 2015, 03:13 PM
I think you misread my post. I was saying the same thing to winnie. I said light bars on the roof aren't illegal in VIC any more

Does anybody have any proof of this other than a facebook comment from VicRoads?
Blokes were getting canaried for having roof lights in Dargo on the cup weekend.

mudski
10th December 2015, 03:37 PM
Lol I DID misread your post sorry. :1087:

Does anybody have any proof of this other than a facebook comment from VicRoads?
Blokes were getting canaried for having roof lights in Dargo on the cup weekend.
I would think that that comment made from a VR representative would be more than enough as proof. I do have the VR document that was floating around with that FB comment, but the way they interpret things you need a degree to understand it.
As for those bloke Kris. I saw their Patrols, They were very heavily modified, more that any of ours, and from one of the Patrols I saw the light bar was mounted in a way that it would have reflected on the bonnet. Which makes me think thats what gave him a ticket. Apart from bull bar top mounted lights and non compliant custom made front bars etc etc. Lol. It wasn't just the lights they were getting canaried for. I spoke to one of them and he had a list of stuff that he needed to fix.

BigRAWesty
10th December 2015, 04:02 PM
Has anyone seriously looked at fitting the factory gq release to the gu?
I don't think it would be hard.

lucus30
10th December 2015, 04:11 PM
Lol I DID misread your post sorry. :1087:

I would think that that comment made from a VR representative would be more than enough as proof. I do have the VR document that was floating around with that FB comment, but the way they interpret things you need a degree to understand it.
As for those bloke Kris. I saw their Patrols, They were very heavily modified, more that any of ours, and from one of the Patrols I saw the light bar was mounted in a way that it would have reflected on the bonnet. Which makes me think thats what gave him a ticket. Apart from bull bar top mounted lights and non compliant custom made front bars etc etc. Lol. It wasn't just the lights they were getting canaried for. I spoke to one of them and he had a list of stuff that he needed to fix.

Yeah as Mudski said. They can still fine you for light bars on the roof if they impede the drivers vision so I'd take that to mean if it reflects off the bonnet then you can still be fined

mudski
10th December 2015, 04:53 PM
Has anyone seriously looked at fitting the factory gq release to the gu?
I don't think it would be hard.

I've never even seen how it works on a GQ Kallen. I assume the sway bar rod goes up into something on the underside of the chassis to lock into. I might have to see if I can work it out using Nissanfast. But I'd be keen to get a hold of the setup and look at it.

liftlid
10th December 2015, 06:00 PM
Yeah as Mudski said. They can still fine you for light bars on the roof if they impede the drivers vision so I'd take that to mean if it reflects off the bonnet then you can still be fined
Or your radio antenna if they want to be unkind!
VIC police don't care what VIC roads say, if it's not in the ADR s you can be booked even with engineers cert

liftlid
10th December 2015, 06:01 PM
I've never even seen how it works on a GQ Kallen. I assume the sway bar rod goes up into something on the underside of the chassis to lock into. I might have to see if I can work it out using Nissanfast. But I'd be keen to get a hold of the setup and look at it.
As long as you have the same bracket on the driver side chassis as the GQ it's a bolt up

wildgu6
10th December 2015, 09:26 PM

X2, how does the set up work, is there a lever or something on board to release ?? If so and you had an on board air tank, would it be to far fetched to hook up a small pneumatic cylinder operated via a button in cab ??

Maxhead
10th December 2015, 09:31 PM
X2, how does the set up work, is there a lever or something on board to release ?? If so and you had an on board air tank, would it be to far fetched to hook up a small pneumatic cylinder operated via a button in cab ??

Dude. The first person to come up with the working model could become a millionaire.... It's in your hands Westy:)

….................... On the move

taslucas
10th December 2015, 09:39 PM
Bloody gu owners and their buttons..... Just pull the lever, it's easier than you think!

tappin from tassie

Maxhead
10th December 2015, 09:40 PM
Bloody gu owners and their buttons..... Just pull the lever, it's easier than you think!

tappin from tassie

shut up you pansy GQ driver:)

wildgu6
10th December 2015, 09:45 PM
Just throwing it out there, never seen an on board release before, don't have a clue how it's set up or works.

Clunk
10th December 2015, 10:07 PM
shut up you pansy GQ driver:)

says he who wants a pretty little button to push.......... soft twat ;)

mudski
10th December 2015, 10:15 PM
Dude. The first person to come up with the working model could become a millionaire.... It's in your hands Westy:)

….................... On the move

Fwark. I'm onto it. I'll pay the wreckers a visit next year after I've finished all the other to do things on my list. Pnuematic could work, I have an onboard compressor. But I reckon a little servo motor. Make it more universal for every GU owner to have. Lol

tappin from tassie

Even easier to push a button....

I just remembered... I'm sure one of the Euro GR's came out with electronic rear stabilzer release. I might have to do some digging...

Maxhead
10th December 2015, 10:26 PM
says he who wants a pretty little button to push.......... soft twat ;)

Hahah, you know us cleva GU drivers, always looking for an invention to break the technology barriers.

liftlid
11th December 2015, 08:01 AM
Just throwing it out there, never seen an on board release before, don't have a clue how it's set up or works.
Has a hand break type of leaver under dash

taslucas
11th December 2015, 08:02 AM
Hahah, you know us cleva GU drivers, always looking for an invention to break the technology barriers.
Yeah you guys weren't scared to launch into the new world of plastic either.

But seriously, if you were going to do a conversion, it would have to be easier to just stick with the lever set up rather than pumps and servos and actuators?

tappin from tassie

mudski
11th December 2015, 09:55 AM
Yeah you guys weren't scared to launch into the new world of plastic either.

But seriously, if you were going to do a conversion, it would have to be easier to just stick with the lever set up rather than pumps and servos and actuators?

tappin from tassie

I just pulled up a VIN from a Euro spec GRX. Its got factory rear stabilizer release. Now to work out a parts list. Lol I bet this will turn out to be an expensive list.

taslucas
11th December 2015, 10:55 AM
I just pulled up a VIN from a Euro spec GRX. Its got factory rear stabilizer release. Now to work out a parts list. Lol I bet this will turn out to be an expensive list.
Push button? Or lever?

tappin from tassie

mudski
11th December 2015, 11:13 AM
Push button? Or lever?

tappin from tassie

All electric mate. :) Just did a rough calculation. It will cost me around 3.5K in parts if I bought them new. I think I will leave this one for now.

BigRAWesty
11th December 2015, 05:49 PM
So a couple of pictures.
To fit the gq setup you'll need to get the chassis bracket and change them over.
So some cutting and welding required.
So the t handle.
It's a simple cable exactly like the old ford T handle hand brakes..
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/12/62.jpg

Next is the main unit. As you can see its quite a a different bracket so I'd say this is the critical bit..
The wires are simply a sensor for the dash light..
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/12/63.jpg
And just for comparison a stock bracket
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/12/64.jpg

AB
11th December 2015, 06:54 PM
Or just buy a real 4wd and be done with it... ;)

mudski
11th December 2015, 06:56 PM
Or just buy a real 4wd and be done with it... ;)
Already have a real 4wd. Just toying with ideas...

BigRAWesty
1st January 2016, 10:47 AM
So flicking threw the gu manual and came across this..
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/01/5.jpg
So they must have an option for it somewhere..

MudRunnerTD
1st January 2016, 12:16 PM
So flicking threw the gu manual and came across this..
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/01/5.jpg
So they must have an option for it somewhere..

You should remove the disconnect from the GQ mate. I have a kit in my shed that I gave never got around to fitting to the GU. Would be simple enough though I reckon.

BigRAWesty
1st January 2016, 02:30 PM
You should remove the disconnect from the GQ mate. I have a kit in my shed that I gave never got around to fitting to the GU. Would be simple enough though I reckon.
Hmmmmmmm. . Your probably right..