PDA

View Full Version : Boost Guage line

nickpeacock36
7th April 2011, 07:44 PM
Is the attachment showing the correct place to fit the hose leading to the boost guage? I want to weld it on tomorrow so ijust want to make sure.
Thanks

big_fletch
7th April 2011, 07:57 PM
You can mount it there and I have seen it done before, mine is mounted after the intercooler and works spot on

Fletcha

nickpeacock36
7th April 2011, 08:00 PM
You can mount it there and I have seen it done before, mine is mounted after the intercooler and works spot on

Fletcha

I thought that was after the intercooler. Now i'm more confused, Doesnt the gas run through the cooler and down into the turbo?

big_fletch
7th April 2011, 08:04 PM
No the turbo sucks air in from the airbox and forces it into the motor after running through the intercooler.. the intercooler is designed to cool the air down before entering the engine

nickpeacock36
7th April 2011, 08:08 PM
No the turbo sucks air in from the airbox and forces it into the motor after running through the intercooler.. the intercooler is designed to cool the air down before entering the engine

That makes sense. Thanks for putting me straight, i have a lot to learn. So the other pipe coming from the intercooler is best then?

big_fletch
7th April 2011, 08:12 PM
Probably won't make much of a difference, however I put mine there as its the closest spot into the intake of the motor so would give the most accurate reading of boost pressure entering the motor

nickpeacock36
7th April 2011, 08:51 PM
Probably won't make much of a difference, however I put mine there as its the closest spot into the intake of the motor so would give the most accurate reading of boost pressure entering the motor
Ok, just removed the other pipe. and marked it for welding. Now i think back, thats also where Tony told me to put it. The picture i found got me mixed up. Thanks for your help Fletch.

big_fletch
7th April 2011, 08:55 PM
No worries mate, thats what this site is for.. to help other patrol owners when we can lol..
Glad I could be of service

YNOT
7th April 2011, 09:59 PM
Took me a while to find the photo but here it is;

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/tonyh01/P1010094Small.jpg

Tony

big_fletch
7th April 2011, 10:19 PM
Mine is virtually identical to yours tony, thanks for the pic mate

nickpeacock36
7th April 2011, 10:29 PM
Took me a while to find the photo but here it is;

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/tonyh01/P1010094Small.jpg

Tony

Where does the other pipe go Tony?

YNOT
7th April 2011, 10:36 PM
Where does the other pipe go Tony?

Which other pipe?

One side of the brass T-piece goes to the boost gauge, the other to the dawes valve. Is that what you meant?

Tony

nickpeacock36
7th April 2011, 10:38 PM
The thread on the fitting i was supplied looks fine to be a standard metric, do you know if its a special thread?

nickpeacock36
7th April 2011, 10:40 PM
Which other pipe?

One side of the brass T-piece goes to the boost gauge, the other to the dawes valve. Is that what you meant?

Tony
Yes that is what i meant. i just posted about thread. can i change to a t later easy?

nickpeacock36
7th April 2011, 10:42 PM
Can you use the guages before connecting up the electric? i assume power is just for the lights.

YNOT
7th April 2011, 10:47 PM
Yes that is what i meant. i just posted about thread. can i change to a t later easy?

The thread I welded/brazed in was a standard (1/4 npt I think) thread, it's the same thread on both ends of the T-piece, so yes, if you do that it's a simple case of unscrewing the boost gauge line, fitting the T-piece and screwing the boost gauge line into one end of the T-piece.

Tony

YNOT
7th April 2011, 10:48 PM
Can you use the guages before connecting up the electric? i assume power is just for the lights.

Correct, VDO boost gauge is mechanical, the wires are just for the back lighting.

Tony

nickpeacock36
7th April 2011, 10:52 PM
Correct, VDO boost gauge is mechanical, the wires are just for the back lighting.

Tony

Thanks Tony, is that the same with the pyro?

YNOT
7th April 2011, 10:57 PM
Thanks Tony, is that the same with the pyro?

No, the pyro has a thermocouple sensor so will not work without power.

Tony

nickpeacock36
8th April 2011, 07:04 PM
No, the pyro has a thermocouple sensor so will not work without power.

Tony

Got the boost guage working sort of. I stuffed the olive up that goes into the cooler but managed to fit one from a bike brake system temporarily. The guage makes an annoying rattle noise when it's returning to the 0 psi point. Is this normal?

YNOT
8th April 2011, 08:18 PM
Got the boost guage working sort of. I stuffed the olive up that goes into the cooler but managed to fit one from a bike brake system temporarily. The guage makes an annoying rattle noise when it's returning to the 0 psi point. Is this normal?

Did you fit the tiny restrictor that should have come with the boost gauge?
My boost gauge has a very light rattle if you listen carefully but once you start driving and have the radio on you can't hear it at all.

Tony

nickpeacock36
8th April 2011, 08:59 PM
Did you fit the tiny restrictor that should have come with the boost gauge?
My boost gauge has a very light rattle if you listen carefully but once you start driving and have the radio on you can't hear it at all.

Tony

Yes i fitted the white plastic restrictor in the guage. i guess you wouldnt hear it if radio is on but you dont have to listen carefully, but why does it do it? i need to replace the olive engine side. do you know who sells them?

YNOT
8th April 2011, 09:30 PM
Your gauge may quiten down, I don't notice mine any more.

Try VDO for a new olive, or anywhere that sells VDO parts.

Tony

nickpeacock36
8th April 2011, 09:36 PM
Your gauge may quiten down, I
don't notice mine any more.

Try VDO for a new olive, or anywhere that sells VDO parts.

Tony
Ok mate i will have to wait and see. i really appreciate all the help. pyro next