PDA

View Full Version : which radiator

Stropp
2nd December 2015, 02:03 PM
which one should i go for pwr alloy or copper brass? both will be 2 row or 3 row but i have conflicting ideas :( ps i did a search but only 400,000 threads came up lol

Sir Roofy
2nd December 2015, 05:13 PM
Me myself and I suggest stay with a new original :driving2:

nissannewby
2nd December 2015, 06:31 PM
Yeah genuine is good item. Kind of in the middle of the price bracket. I have an adrad item in mine and have had for nearly 4 years. It has been great cannot fault it.

nissannewby
2nd December 2015, 07:26 PM
Is there a problem with your current one stropp?

the evil twin
2nd December 2015, 09:07 PM
Another vote for genuine... 3 out of 3 "independant" Rad guys in Freo and R'ham I asked all said the same thing.

jay see
2nd December 2015, 09:34 PM
I've got the original one and I've noticed over the last month or 2 some coolant sitting long the top of the main body on the top hose side, but I have no idea how old it is. Think it time to take it out and may need a repair to the top tank, any recommendation on where to take.
Sorry for the hijack.;)

mudski
2nd December 2015, 10:13 PM
I've got the original one and I've noticed over the last month or 2 some coolant sitting long the top of the main body on the top hose side, but I have no idea how old it is. Think it time to take it out and may need a repair to the top tank, any recommendation on where to take.
Sorry for the hijack.;)

Bundoora Radiators, in Heidelberg, lol, can remove the top tank and reseal. I have a brand new OEM Nissan TD42 radiator sitting here that I bought from Japan and it came free with a split in the top tank. :furious: So I have a new tank and seal to put on. This mod whom I purchase the replacement from as i was in a hurry said they could change over the tank for me. So I assume just about any mob could...

Oh yeah and I vote for OEM....

Stropp
2nd December 2015, 10:52 PM
Is there a problem with your current one stropp?

Had an overheating issue the other week down the beach, on the highway no problem at 120kph just trying to get it sorted for the hot weather, did the fan hub last year so that should be ok.

Bigcol
2nd December 2015, 11:44 PM
I have my old OEM one here............

I could take it to work and get it serviced..............

if ya interested

Stropp
3rd December 2015, 12:32 AM
Thanks mate if I did that I would do my own just to see if any shit came out to try to find the cause.
I have my old OEM one here............

I could take it to work and get it serviced..............

if ya interested

mudski
3rd December 2015, 08:33 AM
From my limited knowledge on the TD cooling system requirements. These motors like air flow more so than coolant capacity. So a OEM sized core that allows more air flow is better than a thicker radiator. Plus I see that UFI are using Mitsy hubs and fans on TD's too. As they are slightly larger and therefor draw more air through. I think the mitsy hub is locked more than the OEM hub too.
I'd love to put on two of the biggest thermo fans I could fit and do away with the clutch hub and fan setup, just to see if it actually makes a difference. Better or worse.

Stropp
14th December 2015, 06:38 PM
ok just had the radiator pulled out and even though i hose the bottom out every time i go muddy the bottom 1/3 was full of mud and shit so just putting the stock one back in, its apparently alloy core??? and cant be rodded so will just try it as is over the xmas break and see how it goes.

nissannewby
14th December 2015, 08:29 PM
ok just had the radiator pulled out and even though i hose the bottom out every time i go muddy the bottom 1/3 was full of mud and shit so just putting the stock one back in, its apparently alloy core??? and cant be rodded so will just try it as is over the xmas break and see how it goes.

Yeah they are all ally from factory in the gu. Even the later gqs had an ally core with plastic tanks.

My original rad is the same as you describe yours so I still have it in the shed as a spare. Was really only externally blocked a little.

Dannyboyz
6th January 2016, 03:48 PM
Hey guys sorry to dig this out of the dust but I have just joined the forum, Stropp your last post said you would see how your stock rad went over the crissy break, just wondering how you went? I have a td42ti in a Gu wagon, it is all stock apart from a few more psi and a little more fuel, it has never given me trouble with cooling for the last 6 years till now. I have a large heavy tandem camper trailer, 2 dirtbikes inside with all the gear for a family of 4 too. Probably weighing in at 1200-1500kg loaded at a guess. Big ask I know but the troll tows it no worries power wise but if you point it up a hill for more than a minute or two it will be at 120 on the vdo temp gauge, so it's pull over and cool down for 15 mins. Wondering if should pull stock rad out and replace with big alloy 3 row or new stocky one, any advice or opinions would be appreciated!

BigRAWesty
6th January 2016, 10:07 PM
Hey guys sorry to dig this out of the dust but I have just joined the forum, Stropp your last post said you would see how your stock rad went over the crissy break, just wondering how you went? I have a td42ti in a Gu wagon, it is all stock apart from a few more psi and a little more fuel, it has never given me trouble with cooling for the last 6 years till now. I have a large heavy tandem camper trailer, 2 dirtbikes inside with all the gear for a family of 4 too. Probably weighing in at 1200-1500kg loaded at a guess. Big ask I know but the troll tows it no worries power wise but if you point it up a hill for more than a minute or two it will be at 120 on the vdo temp gauge, so it's pull over and cool down for 15 mins. Wondering if should pull stock rad out and replace with big alloy 3 row or new stocky one, any advice or opinions would be appreciated!
Alloy radiators are good but you get what you pay for..
The cheaper ones tend to have smaller galleries so although they are 3 core the flow is much less than stock..
blokes have proven though that a well maintained stock brass radiator is up to the task fo controlling the summer temps.

Have you had your system flushed out or serviced at all??

Dannyboyz
7th January 2016, 07:24 AM
Hey westy, system hasn't seen any love since I put the motor in 6 years ago so I am well aware that it could just be gunked up or blocked and will definitely start there, however just incase I pull the rad out and find that it is buggered I am trying to figure out which way to go so I can research prices and such to know roughly how much I may need to shell out. It is a daily driver at the min so can't have it out of action for too long!

BigRAWesty
7th January 2016, 09:29 AM
I personally can't praise or knock the alloys as I've only ever run coppers, but from reading others reports I don't think I'd hesitate to buy a quality alloy one..

Dannyboyz
7th January 2016, 11:16 AM
Thanks for your advice westy, much appreciated, got to do some homework and source a good one I reckon

BigRAWesty
7th January 2016, 12:13 PM
Have a search here there are plenty of blokes running them and plenty of discussion about it

Stropp
7th January 2016, 04:13 PM
hey mate, i had no issues with it after cleaning the radiator of mud in the corners and the hub topped up with fluid, i had it done last yr but must not have been enough, in saying that i will be doing the ufi fan hub upgrade and radiator like rocket did.