PDA

View Full Version : Crank pulley bolt loosening method

dom14
28th November 2015, 12:12 PM
Hey Guys,

There're few tricks documented on the internet about how to loosen the crank pulley bolt.

But, hardly any documentation about the method I use, which I think is the simplest for rear wheel driven,
front facing crank pulleys.

I use a socket with a long extension and leave the engine in gear, then I torque it and use a breaker bar, if necessary.

Is that a bad way of doing it?!!!!

As you may know, placing a rattle gun in front of the pulley is generally impossible due to having not enough space.
So, that's why I use the putting on gear method.

King_ady1
28th November 2015, 12:35 PM
Dont know if it's bad way. But it's the way I have always done it...

dom14
28th November 2015, 01:04 PM
Yeah, I reckon it isn't documented much 'cos it' s the obvious way.

garett
28th November 2015, 04:49 PM
if it tight i use the starter motor to crack it. have done your method with the h/brake on and slipped the clutch( wouldn't do this for an auto)

dom14
28th November 2015, 07:24 PM
if it tight i use the starter motor to crack it. have done your method with the h/brake on and slipped the clutch( wouldn't do this for an auto)

Hi garett,
Seriously?!!! Can it be that bad?
That's an aweful lot of torque to slip the clutch, even with a breaker bar.
Could it have been the clutch was already on it's way??!!
If I understood you correctly, I can stuff up a clutch by doing the thing my way.
I was more worried about the crank shaft bearings & the gearbox taking an unbalanced torque from the breaker bar and getting damaged.
But, you've opened up a totally different drama possibility, which made me more worried about my way of doing it.
I knew the starter method, but somehow was bit apprehensive to do it that way, 'cos I thought sudden jerk that way could stuff it up by the socket slipping
& the bolt head getting damaged.
Cheers
Dom

garett
28th November 2015, 07:36 PM
ahhh no the clutch was good just pointing out sometimes it too tight for your method. yes you gotta be careful i use a six sided socket but some times you just need a good jerk to loosen the bolt :P have seen some one put the breaker bar through the radiator so yes you can break stuff i prefer to use a rattle gun. safer easier better.

clutch no worries but automatic gearbox nooooo

dom14
28th November 2015, 11:28 PM
Yeah, of course. Auto gearbox P position is the only one I can think of using but obviously a good way to break the P.

In my case, rattle gun was out of question, unless I can find a super short rattle gun.
Radiator was out, but still not enough room to squeeze in a rattle gun, 'cos I still have the A/C condenser, and removing that is way too much trouble.

jay see
28th November 2015, 11:53 PM
I undid my with the use of a breaker bar resting on the rail and with a flick of the ignition the nut cane lose.
Probably not the best/safest way to do did, but that has worked for me for a long time.

dom14
29th November 2015, 11:23 AM
I undid my with the use of a breaker bar resting on the rail and with a flick of the ignition the nut cane lose.
Probably not the best/safest way to do did, but that has worked for me for a long time.

Yeah, I reckon that's the way most blokes do it. I was bit scared about breaking something, but it's safe when we do it properly.

Throbbinhood
30th November 2015, 09:26 AM
As above, I've done the breaker bar/flick the starter motor a few times on a few cars with no issues.
Just make sure you check which way it will rotate first, saw a mate have the bar on the wrong side, god that was a loud crunch hahahaha

dom14
1st December 2015, 09:50 AM
As above, I've done the breaker bar/flick the starter motor a few times on a few cars with no issues.
Just make sure you check which way it will rotate first, saw a mate have the bar on the wrong side, god that was a loud crunch hahahaha

A good way to end up in a coffin earlier than the plan. :)