PDA

View Full Version : Have you got an old Laptop in the cupboard?

MudRunnerTD
27th November 2015, 07:31 PM
Hey guys,

Got a great member of the forum who has got a computer that has given up the ghost. He is on a very tight budget unfortunately and can't fund a new Computer. I was thinking about him the other day and wondered if any member had an old Laptop they have retired that still functions that is fast becoming space junk in the top of their cupboard. Just need something that allows him to jump on the forum. Nothing special.

If anyone has anything I'd be happy to chat via pm.

Cheers MR.

AB
27th November 2015, 07:47 PM
I might be able to help mate but if anyone truly has one sitting around doing nothing jump onboard!

I have an old one here but Mia does use it but let me know if there are no other bites though.

katwoman
27th November 2015, 08:05 PM
Me too. It sits under the bed gathering dust. Cant remember if it has issues. If no-one else closer can help, I'll have it looked at and pass it on.

Clunk
27th November 2015, 08:24 PM
Ive got 2 old ones, I know one is cactus but not sure what state the other is in.

mudski
27th November 2015, 09:08 PM
Laptop or desk top stuff? I may have some stuff around. Not sure what though. I did throw out a trailer load of pc stuff not too long ago too. Great landfill hey.
If lappy stuff i might have some hard drives and ram modules ateast and we could build him one.

lhurley
27th November 2015, 09:47 PM
I've got a few bits and pieces of desktop stuff floating around if that's how it eventuates.

MudRunnerTD
27th November 2015, 09:49 PM
Cheers guys. I figure he just needs something that lets him come here. I don't think he needs anything super quick, laptop or desk top would not matter I don't think. Figured a Laptop would be more likely to be laying around though.

I have not spoken to him about this and he is pretty humble so prefer to just get something done and it just turn up at his address would be the plan.

If I had something here is just reformat and send it off but I really don't have anything.

Cheers for everyone's offers. Appreciated.

katwoman
27th November 2015, 10:12 PM
From memory the battery in mine is R/S. But still works if plugged in. If you dont have a solid offer by Monday morning, I'll get mine fixed ( if fixable) and post to you or who ever gets it ?

mudski
30th November 2015, 04:40 PM
Any updates? What model laptop is it kat? And what does it need? I have a few bits in boxes here. I could reload Windose on it or do a hard drive or ram upgrade or something....

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Maxhead
30th November 2015, 05:04 PM
Hey guys, just realised I have a desktop pc which needs a new mother board.
P4 3.8g processor with few g's of ram(not in pic), graphics card, few hdd's, ps, etc
Can send off to someone who can get it sorted....
Let me know...this thing did kick arse[emoji3]
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/11/232.jpg

….................... On the move

MudRunnerTD
30th November 2015, 05:26 PM
Any updates? What model laptop is it kat? And what does it need? I have a few bits in boxes here. I could reload Windose on it or do a hard drive or ram upgrade or something....

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

I have reached out to one of his family members and waiting to hear back, i don't want to step on anyones toes. Thanks everyone for your support, as soon as i hear i will let you know for sure.

katwoman
30th November 2015, 05:32 PM
Any updates? What model laptop is it kat? And what does it need? I have a few bits in boxes here. I could reload Windose on it or do a hard drive or ram upgrade or something.... Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk It's an Acer. I'm going to reset it tonight and see what happens. I'll wait to see what MR wants to do.

Clunk
30th November 2015, 07:15 PM
Ive got 2 old ones, I know one is cactus but not sure what state the other is in.

unfortunately both are stuffed, one doesn't power up at all and the other doesn't load up (I suspect a stuffed hard drive). I'll have a play around with this one and see if I can get it running.

lucus30
30th November 2015, 08:06 PM
Who is it ? If its who I think it is I've got some stuff here for a desktop, pretty much complete. Just need a case for it

I'll have to build it as its just parts

sooty_10
30th November 2015, 08:45 PM
I shot holes in my last old laptop. So no use there sorry.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

MudRunnerTD
30th November 2015, 10:09 PM
Who is it ? If its who I think it is I've got some stuff here for a desktop, pretty much complete. Just need a case for it

I'll have to build it as its just parts

Hi mate sorry not prepared to say, I would prefer to just quietly get it done and on its way to him and enjoy his presence on the forum.

I have not got a reply back so may bite the bullet and give him a call directly. It certainly looks like you guys will be able to sort something out for him.

Thanks for all the offers I really appreciate it.

Cheers MR.

BigRAWesty
1st December 2015, 09:41 PM
What about an old tablet?
I have a 7" cheapie and although it's slow it runs tappa no problem..

BigRAWesty
1st December 2015, 09:42 PM
Just needs a data wipe and a mini usb charger