PDA

View Full Version : Old Bloke saying Goodday.

Bullant
23rd November 2015, 10:11 PM
Hello. New round here. Been a truckie a few years ago but now retired due to health. Never had a lucky life but am now looking to hopefully soon get a GQ Patrol. Mainly for getting around and sneaking off fishing or camping for a week or two when I can escape from the Missus. Been doing a lot of research and the GQ seems to tick my boxes. Thinking of one with a TB42 auto as my old legs with 2 steel knees get a bit lazy at times but the fuel usage would worry me a bit. A 4.2 diesel will probably be out of my budget but a 2.8 will be in it. So I may annoy some of you with questions if I can't get the search to find things for me. See ya round and take it easy.

Bullant.

MudRunnerTD
23rd November 2015, 10:14 PM
Welcome mate. What state are you in mate? Check out the fishing trip planned in Vic soon. Good bunch going and it sounds like you'd fit straight in.

Bigcol
23rd November 2015, 10:30 PM
welcome mate
all of the GQ you mentioned have good points and bad points

if you can find an import GQ, they are sometimes the TD42 with auto
I dont think the 2.8 came out with an auto - but I could be wrong
the TB42 is a good motor, it is thirsty, but not that bad - if you find one with Gas on it, and the tank is in date - way way better

4bye4
23rd November 2015, 10:41 PM
G'day and welcome to the forum mate. Good hunting.

Bullant
23rd November 2015, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I updated my location. NSW Sth Coast.

I like the simplicity of the carby petrol engine. I reckon I could fix one on the side of the road. Fiddled with a lot of carbys in my misspent youth days. Can anyone point me to threads or info on how to get the most and/or best from the tb42. I will only be operating on a slim budget so I reckon the petrol engine would be the easiest and cheapest to keep sorted. I'd rather spend a bit more on a few gallons of fuel than a new injector pump. Don't know if that sound right but I am just a simple bloke who likes things to be simple. TIA

AB
24th November 2015, 07:04 AM
Welcome to the forum mate, if you don't get answers here try starting a new thread about your questions as a lot of people don't read the introductions.

Dhuck
24th November 2015, 07:07 AM
Welcome to the forum mate

threedogs
24th November 2015, 10:45 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum,,,enjoy

MEGOMONSTER
24th November 2015, 08:47 PM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net.
If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.
If you want to find it, go to the search bar for a universe of information.
Enjoy the sights and sounds of the greatest show on earth.

Bob
25th November 2015, 02:17 PM
Welcome to the Forum

I have had the TB42 Motor in about 5 Patrols over the years.

Great Motor and the last one I had had 570,000 K's on it when someone ran up the Arse of it and wrote it off.

Funnily enough I prefer the Petrol Motors to the Diesels and I now drive a TB45.

You should be able to get a TB42 in a GQ for a reasonable Price.

Best of Luck

Bullant
26th November 2015, 11:46 AM
Thanks again guys for the welcome and encouragement. I have looked long and hard at whats out there in my budget range and although the TB42 would be a bit thirsty, I reason that the difference in fuel costs betrween that and a diesel or smaller electronic engine that needs repairs or workshop service is worth it. Not much above simplicity with a carby petrol engine. ANyways I will start a new thread if I need any info.

Take it easy. Bullant.

Clunk
4th December 2015, 07:40 PM
G'day mate and welcome aboard

growler2058
6th December 2015, 08:08 AM
G'day welcome aboard mate

sahloul
17th December 2015, 06:16 AM
welcome sir