PDA

View Full Version : Lights off with ignition

King_ady1
23rd November 2015, 08:17 AM
One for you electricity heads..

Looking at wiring lights to turn off with the ignition, as the Mrs is not use to checking them yet and it's not making me a happy chappy.

Any1 know if it's as simple as altering earth location? Or a solenoid job?

Any rough diagrams would also help.

Whilst I get some pointers, I'll keep searching myself :)

Cheers.

mudski
23rd November 2015, 08:58 AM
I would assume the power supply wire for the lights would need to be re routed to a relay which would use the ign power as the "switch" for the ignition. Sorry, I'm not good with words but I know what I mean in my head. Lol.

King_ady1
23rd November 2015, 09:06 AM
Ye I know what u mean. That's what I was thinking. Just don't know exactly how it wires in, Looking for clarification.

Hodge
23rd November 2015, 11:48 AM
I done this on my Navara. Just cut in a relay on the light circuit simewhee and had it triggered by a 12+ve from IGN.

I was thinking of doing something similar to this Patrol but add some sort of a timing relay once IGN goes off , it takes say 15 seconds for the delay to kick out. Giving you some lighting outside for that duration after you get out and lock the car.

Tapatalked from S6

the evil twin
23rd November 2015, 11:53 AM
One for you electricity heads..

Looking at wiring lights to turn off with the ignition, as the Mrs is not use to checking them yet and it's not making me a happy chappy.

Any1 know if it's as simple as altering earth location? Or a solenoid job?

Any rough diagrams would also help.

Whilst I get some pointers, I'll keep searching myself :)

Cheers.

The easiest way is a 'lights on' reminder buzzer.
Changeover Relay and a dinky little piezo buzzer or chime from, say, Jaycar
Energise the Relay from any accessories feed
Power from the park light circuit thru the relay 30 pin to pin 87A to the buzzer to earth

Ign switch anywhere but locked and Lights off - relay energised but no power in lights so no buzzer
Ign switch anywhere but locked and lights on - relay energised but no power to buzzer
Ignition switch locked/key removed and lights on - power from lights thru relaxed relay contacts to buzzer

foggs
23rd November 2015, 05:48 PM
I'm about to wire up one of these http://www.modifystreet.com/Universal-Auto-On-Off-Headlights-Sensor-w-Switch.html but requires a bit more work.
I also like Hodge's idea above, a lot simpler and just as effective.

King_ady1
24th November 2015, 10:30 AM
Ye not sure about automatic lights.... And I think I would rather them just turn off than an alarm. That would just drive me crazy lol.

Think I found how to, similar to hodges way. I'll check while I'm free tonight. :)

foggs
24th November 2015, 02:25 PM
Ye not sure about automatic lights.... And I think I would rather them just turn off than an alarm. That would just drive me crazy lol.

Think I found how to, similar to hodges way. I'll check while I'm free tonight. :)

Good thing about the automatic lights is that they are also triggered with the remote unlock key, so when you unlock the car from a distance, the lights come on for 30 seconds. If you don't put the key in the ignition, they turn off. I personally like this, and a lot of the newer cars have this feature.