PDA

View Full Version : Bump stops.. who actually hits them

BigRAWesty
20th November 2015, 09:38 PM
Sooooooooooo. I'm about 8.. no 9.. or so drinks down and thinking about some mods as you do... I'd like to get max flex out of the 3" lift and not extending, but maybe reducing bump stops..
But I got thinking how many with correctly setup spring rates touch the bumps?
How often are we hitting them?
Is it worth moding shock towers and mounts etc if the springs simply won't compress as far??

MudRunnerTD
20th November 2015, 09:39 PM
I have never hit my bump stops.........lies! All the bloody time mate ;)

BigRAWesty
20th November 2015, 09:54 PM
Flex wasn't the right word there either.
I'll probably never need flex. Travel is what I'm thinking.
Fronts are easy. Top mounts up threw wheel arch like your gq is now..
Rears will need a bit more work..
Maybe lay them over a little more..

Clunk
20th November 2015, 10:26 PM
Dont you need to actually take your Q off road to warrant extra travel/flex

BigRAWesty
20th November 2015, 11:11 PM
Dont you need to actually take your Q off road to warrant extra travel/flex
Lol. I do.. sometimes..
I guess my thoughts are everyone that gets a 3" lift extends the bumps to offset the extra shock length.
To me that seems silly as your loosing compression travel.
I'm thinking how much compression travel can I have before the spring won't allow any more..
Are the springs stopping us before bump stops with a regular 3 or even 2" lift?? Or is there room to move there and extra travel had??

Winnie
21st November 2015, 06:39 AM
Lol. I do.. sometimes..
I guess my thoughts are everyone that gets a 3" lift extends the bumps to offset the extra shock length.
To me that seems silly as your loosing compression travel.
I'm thinking how much compression travel can I have before the spring won't allow any more..
Are the springs stopping us before bump stops with a regular 3 or even 2" lift?? Or is there room to move there and extra travel had??
The idea is to stop you from wrecking your shocks, not silly at all

BigRAWesty
21st November 2015, 07:22 AM
The idea is to stop you from wrecking your shocks, not silly at all
Yes I realize that. But do the longer springs allow the axle to hit the stock bump stops?
Forget the shocks. Will the 3" spring ever compress enough to reach stock bump height?

Clunk
21st November 2015, 09:49 AM
Yes I realize that. But do the longer springs allow the axle to hit the stock bump stops?
Forget the shocks. Will the 3" spring ever compress enough to reach stock bump height?
No because the shocks will bottom out first

BigRAWesty
21st November 2015, 09:51 AM
No because the shocks will bottom out first
Forget the shocks.. they are modded easily for extra clearance..
So purely spring only. Will a 3" spring compress enough to hit stock bump stops?

Clunk
21st November 2015, 09:52 AM
Soft, medium or hard?

Winnie
21st November 2015, 09:52 AM
Forget the shocks.. they are modded easily for extra clearance..
So purely spring only. Will a 3" spring compress enough to hit stock bump stops?

Yes...........

nipagu7
21st November 2015, 09:56 AM
I thought part of the reason for putting in a lift kit was to get more suspension travel and that it came with longer shocks ?

MudRunnerTD
21st November 2015, 10:37 AM

No sure but my 5" springs made a mess of my bump stops. You don't want to rely on fully compressed springs to stop the compression. That how you break springs.

MudRunnerTD
21st November 2015, 10:38 AM
I get what your asking though mate. Measure the spring steel thickness, count the rings, do the math. Every spring will be different.

BigRAWesty
21st November 2015, 10:59 AM
No sure but my 5" springs made a mess of my bump stops. You don't want to rely on fully compressed springs to stop the compression. That how you break springs.

I get what your asking though mate. Measure the spring steel thickness, count the rings, do the math. Every spring will be different.
Yes I wouldn't want the spring to be compressing 100% either but I'm sure we could get a lot more up travel then what most are getting before the bump stops..
Yea I'll do some maths and see how close we are.

the evil twin
21st November 2015, 11:17 AM
If you don't hit the bump stops then you are "hitting" something else
Shock max compression, spring max compression, tyre rubbing etc
Hitting the bump stop, no problem, hitting anything else, problem.

Sooo...
You may be able to get a bit more 'up' travel but it prob won't be much.
I think the tyre size would also be an issue IE a 35 would rub on the inside at max flex (max up on one side) if you reduce the bump stop

Rossco
21st November 2015, 11:29 AM
What if you flex it up on an embankment and have a close look at what it's doing and have a measure.

Would agree with others bump stops are there to stop damage to suspension components & guards/tyres.

MudRunnerTD
21st November 2015, 11:32 AM
I am not as concerned about hitting bump stops at full flex as it is generally done slowly. Hitting bump stops over a whoopdydo is far more likely when either the front or the back fully compresses and hits one or both bump stops. Then your glad they are there mate.

BigRAWesty
21st November 2015, 01:10 PM
And that's were I'd like the bit extra Daz on the whoopdies and dunes etc..

Ok so I have just looked at my front end and my setup (2" ome HD springs)
My loaded spring height is 280mm and with 8 coils at 20mm each absolutely max compresson is 160mm. So we have 120mm of max travel out if the spring..

The gap from bump stop to diff loaded is 80 mm and my research shows they compress about 30mm max. So that gives me 110mm of travel.
So my front end on the 2" ome lift is pretty well spot on..

I'm guessing those with higher lifts may benifit from what I'm thinking but not me atm..

the evil twin
21st November 2015, 02:36 PM
I'm guessing those with higher lifts may benifit from what I'm thinking but not me atm..

... but if you have a higher lift your spring compression is earlier and your shock has a longer cylinder.
Therefore you can't have as much "up" travel before your longer shock and/or longer spring and/or tyre (most big lifts are for big tyres as well) will bottom out/rub etc
Therefore, 99% of the time you need extended bump stops for bigger lifts not shorter

BigRAWesty
21st November 2015, 03:00 PM
... but if you have a higher lift your spring compression is earlier and your shock has a longer cylinder.
Therefore you can't have as much "up" travel before your longer shock and/or longer spring and/or tyre (most big lifts are for big tyres as well) will bottom out/rub etc
Therefore, 99% of the time you need extended bump stops for bigger lifts not shorter
Maybe. I think it is very open ended.
As before. Forget the shocks. Those mounts are easily modded.
I was purely looking at spring and bump travel.. but yes tyres rubbing is another variant..

Avo
21st November 2015, 10:46 PM
Soft, medium or hard?

clinks 3 stages of arousel

Stropp
23rd November 2015, 12:27 AM
clinks 3 stages of arousel

Or even clunks three stages of arousal 👍😎

mudski
26th November 2015, 12:50 PM
I am not as concerned about hitting bump stops at full flex as it is generally done slowly. Hitting bump stops over a whoopdydo is far more likely when either the front or the back fully compresses and hits one or both bump stops. Then your glad they are there mate.
So I'm guessing you need to replace your bump stops every trip Darren? I seen the way you drive, or fly over those whoopdy's.

taslucas
26th November 2015, 02:48 PM
A bit like Gary's Lebanese slingshot.... Bump bumpy sneaky sneaky

tappin from tassie

MudRunnerTD
26th November 2015, 03:38 PM
So I'm guessing you need to replace your bump stops every trip Darren? I seen the way you drive, or fly over those whoopdy's.

LOL you should see me on the Beach mate!! Those whoopdy doos are awesome! gradual and well spaced for perfect launch! you can get some very very good air on the beach ;) :p

Stropp
26th November 2015, 06:30 PM
i recently went to the beach with tuppa and avo d cardo and i actually bottomed out and almost destroyed the factory flares by the 35's tearing at them when she bottomed :(

BigRAWesty
27th November 2015, 08:01 AM
LOL you should see me on the Beach mate!! Those whoopdy doos are awesome! gradual and well spaced for perfect launch! you can get some very very good air on the beach ;) [emoji14]
Your tracks disappeared for a couple of meters after each one

mudski
27th November 2015, 03:37 PM
LOL you should see me on the Beach mate!! Those whoopdy doos are awesome! gradual and well spaced for perfect launch! you can get some very very good air on the beach ;) :p

Yeah nah as much as I'd love to get some air of those whoopdy's I'd rather not damage my car. Last time I got air was in my MK shorty and launched it in low range third full noise off a whoopdy near Pineapple flat. I ended up ripping the front leaf srping shackle mount off the chassis.
Kinda brings me back to my trail bike days hitting those high country whoopdy's at speed and getting some real air time.

Winnie
27th November 2015, 03:54 PM
Yeah nah as much as I'd love to get some air of those whoopdy's I'd rather not damage my car. Last time I got air was in my MK shorty and launched it in low range third full noise off a whoopdy near Pineapple flat. I ended up ripping the front leaf srping shackle mount off the chassis.
Kinda brings me back to my trail bike days hitting those high country whoopdy's at speed and getting some real air time.

Live a little... I had my car full airborne 3000kms from home in the Simpson Desert!
I think my poo stain marks are still there though, lol

mudski
27th November 2015, 04:10 PM
Live a little... I had my car full airborne 3000kms from home in the Simpson Desert!
I think my poo stain marks are still there though, lol

Haha! I've put too many $$$ into my Patrol just to root it launching it off something. Because knowing my luck, I would break something. Happy to watch others do so though.

Winnie
27th November 2015, 04:23 PM
Haha! I've put too many $$$ into my Patrol just to root it launching it off something. Because knowing my luck, I would break something. Happy to watch others do so though.

Nahhhh have some faith, it's stronger than you think!

MudRunnerTD
27th November 2015, 05:24 PM
i recently went to the beach with tuppa and avo d cardo and i actually bottomed out and almost destroyed the factory flares by the 35's tearing at them when she bottomed :(

Do you remember what my flares looked like after the Meetup in the Middle! All 4 flares where hanging off from the 35s had fun though!

MudRunnerTD
27th November 2015, 05:30 PM

Nah the whoopdydoos on the beach are great for giving it a go mate. They are really well placed and you can time it so well that you land on the down ramp of the next one and it's pretty smooth mate. Had the 3you daughter in the back cheering me on! She was loving it. With decent suspension the Patrol is tough as nails mate. Beach was good cause the car wasn't too load d up too. Really keen to fit rear tower brace kit though.

mudski
27th November 2015, 06:32 PM
Nah the whoopdydoos on the beach are great for giving it a go mate. They are really well placed and you can time it so well that you land on the down ramp of the next one and it's pretty smooth mate. Had the 3you daughter in the back cheering me on! She was loving it. With decent suspension the Patrol is tough as nails mate. Beach was good cause the car wasn't too load d up too. Really keen to fit rear tower brace kit though.

Yep! I can just imagine me on the beach getting some air then I notice the rear springs in the back of the car.... :icon_bonk: