PDA

View Full Version : Removing wheel flares

terra_australis
20th November 2015, 01:24 AM
OK, so I have a bit of an issue with my 2014 GU Patrol. The previous owner fitted some (not exactly road legal) 35" muddies to it and to prevent them from rubbing has removed the front mud guards and cut out a section on the underneath of the front flares. The problem now is that when driving through any reasonable depth of water, the wheels throw up all sorts of debris into the inside of the flares through the hole that has been made in the bottom. I'm planning to block this off or put on some generic guards but I'd like to clean out all the crap that got caught up in there from previous trips.
How easy is it to remove the flares? I undid the screws around the wheel arch and the one at the very bottom but couldn't work out why it still wouldn't budge and didn't want to break anything so I ended up putting it all back together. Is there a trick to it or should I just be using brute force?
Thanks in advance.

Dan

terra_australis
20th November 2015, 01:44 PM
How are the ones on the earlier GUs attached?

MudRunnerTD
20th November 2015, 03:56 PM
There are a combination of screws, press clips and slide clips. Can you post a pic of the cut the guy made? I have cut mine but don't have the same problem your describing?

terra_australis
20th November 2015, 08:14 PM
Yeah sure, I'll post one up tomorrow.
The only reason I noticed it was collecting crap was there were twigs sticking out between the rubber sealing strip on the flare and the body panel last time I went through a big puddle. Granted it was a knee deep puddle but there must have been a fair bit of water pressure up in there to force stuff through that gap.

terra_australis
24th November 2015, 06:03 PM
There are a combination of screws, press clips and slide clips. Can you post a pic of the cut the guy made? I have cut mine but don't have the same problem your describing?

OK, here's a couple of pics I took. Sorry it's a bit difficult to get in there to photograph properly.
As you can see the corner chunk has been neatly removed with a blunt axe, or a rusty spoon perhaps...

Doesn't leave much to attach a guard to but I'm sure I can come up with something.

Cuppa
26th November 2015, 01:59 PM
I fitted factory flares to my ’06 Dx. They were supplied with a double sided adhesive strip to be used as well as the screws/clips.

terra_australis
26th November 2015, 03:58 PM
Yeah, I don't want to spend the $120ea they want for the factory ones :/

dads tractor
26th November 2015, 06:59 PM
Yeah, I don't want to spend the $120ea they want for the factory ones :/

I don't think u have a choice mate really unless you want too go fiberglass not the best option really .

Cuppa
26th November 2015, 07:13 PM
I paid $140 for two front ones with all fittings/tape from a dealer with excess stock on eBay (SteveJarvin Motors).

It was a little while ago now but it might be worth contacting them in case they still have some sitting on the shelves. http://stores.ebay.com.au/stevejarvinmotors?_trksid=p2047675.l2563
They were very good to deal with.

terra_australis
26th November 2015, 10:36 PM
Hmmm. I'll look around. Someone may be wrecking a GU somewhere. Problem is I'm not sure there's much left of the flare to attach them to.
I'll check with the dealership I bought it from since they were a decent bunch.