PDA

View Full Version : Which is better. GU or 2003 patrol

Marc Allen
18th November 2015, 08:39 AM
Need a quick answer. We are looking at a 2000 GU with 214000km but ive found a 2003 patrol with 190000km. The GU is a 6 cylinder and th 2003 a 4 cylinder.
The bus we buy is going to be towing 1.5 ton all day every day over a lot of bad roads so im thinking the GU being a 6 cylinder would be better.

Give me your opinions please.

jff45
18th November 2015, 08:46 AM
The 2003 would also be a GU.
Which 6 cylinder engine is in the 2000?

Marc Allen
18th November 2015, 12:01 PM
The car yard got it wrong. Its 3L. So that would make it a 4 cylinder?

Winnie
18th November 2015, 12:11 PM
The car yard got it wrong. Its 3L. So that would make it a 4 cylinder?

Yes mate. So both cars are a 3L diesel?

threedogs
18th November 2015, 12:13 PM
Avoid an early 3 ltr if possible buy the latter and NADS it
Depending on your budget a petrol or a 4.2td may be better for towing

Marc Allen
18th November 2015, 12:23 PM
i definatly want to stick to a diesel and the 4.2 is out of our budget.
I read a bit about NADS and some people are still having a grenade go off even with nads.
So do i buy a zd30 nads it and hope for the best or just find a 2.8. We are only looking at spening around 10 grand

Winnie
18th November 2015, 01:05 PM
i definatly want to stick to a diesel and the 4.2 is out of our budget.
I read a bit about NADS and some people are still having a grenade go off even with nads.
So do i buy a zd30 nads it and hope for the best or just find a 2.8. We are only looking at spening around 10 grand

Have you considered a TD42 in a GQ?

King_ady1
18th November 2015, 01:14 PM
Ye avoid the earlier 3ltr GU. (2000-2004)
If u can find a nice 2.8 would be great.
Other option In your budget maybe find a nice 4.2ltr GQ?

Marc Allen
18th November 2015, 01:33 PM
I cant get a straight answer anywhere on how common the exploding problem is and is poor maintanence anything to do with it.
So back to the 2.8 i guess. The missus doesnt like look of the GQ but if turned up home with one. Lol

4bye4
18th November 2015, 01:56 PM
I cant get a straight answer anywhere on how common the exploding problem is and is poor maintanence anything to do with it.
So back to the 2.8 i guess. The missus doesnt like look of the GQ but if turned up home with one. Lol

It's not so much a straight answer, it's morre just peoples experience. The thing is the rumour probably exeeds the facts, if you asked about problems with any motor, the 2.8 or 3l CRD and waited long enough the horror stories would come out. At the end of the day you have to be confident with your purchase. Good luck and happy wheeling.

Marc Allen
18th November 2015, 03:03 PM
It's not so much a straight answer, it's morre just peoples experience. The thing is the rumour probably exeeds the facts, if you asked about problems with any motor, the 2.8 or 3l CRD and waited long enough the horror stories would come out. At the end of the day you have to be confident with your purchase. Good luck and happy wheeling.

Yes ive worked in retail most of my life and have had to explain to people a lot that if a company sells 100000 of something and get 1000 faulty thats pretty good odds.

Talking to a guy about swaps for a 2.8L. Ill keep working at it. Ill find the right one when the time is ready.

Winnie
18th November 2015, 03:15 PM

The thing is though mate if you buy a GQ you will get a car with an engine better suited for your purpose.
You could get a well set up turbo TD42 for 10k

jff45
18th November 2015, 03:22 PM
The 2.8s have weaker transmissions. That applies to auto as well.

Dr Gary
18th November 2015, 04:43 PM
For what it is worth, I sold my 14 year old GQ with Denco Turbo and got in to a 2006 GU. While the new car is fine, I regret not spending the money on "stuff" for the GQ.
GQ had a better body and went better--Oh well

Clunk
18th November 2015, 04:58 PM
Not trying to steer your decision here but I'm with Winnie on this one, $10k can get you a well sorted and reliable GQ....... but in saying that, all secondhand purchases are a risk no matter what the vehicle, but I'd rather risk my money on a 23 year old GQ TD42 (which I did), than an 17 year old 2.8 or 12 or 15 year old 3ltr GU.
In a few years time, when my 3 kids are bigger and leg room gets a bit tight for them, I'll have to revisit the options.

King_ady1
18th November 2015, 05:08 PM
Ye. A well maintained GQ TD42 would be a safer option if your planning on towing a lot in my opinion. If looks is the only thing she doesn't like then I think she might be better with some persuasion...
Rather an ugly car that makes it around Australia than a pretty one that doesn't :) but I still rather the look of a kitted GQ than a standard GU.

Bigcol
18th November 2015, 11:47 PM
I would also suggest spending your coin on a well sorted GQ

a 2.8 will tow your Van.......... slowly
they are a good revving motor, but dont like to tow
the 3L is mixed bag - you only hear of the horror stories - never the success ones (got 2 mates with 2000 GU 3L -both brought brand new, neither has ever had a problem with them)

I have often asked, just how many 3L were made and sold in Aust
and how many of those have gone BANG

had no answers yet............

garett
19th November 2015, 12:39 PM
some friends had an early 2.8 and towing a caravan they burnt more fuel than our 4.2 ... just some food for thought.