PDA

View Full Version : To rust proof or not to rust proof...

wolften
17th November 2015, 04:26 PM
Gidday all,
Had my '04 GU patrol wagon since new, and we have decided to go to Moreton Is. this chrissy.
Should I rust proof the ol' girl or not. She has electronic rust prevention since new:redface:
Also any good rust proofers on Brissy southside.
Chhers

threedogs
17th November 2015, 05:02 PM
wouldnt a decent soaking with fresh water back home be enough .
Id never take my Patrol on the beach ,but thats me, looks like fun though. lol

gaddy
17th November 2015, 05:16 PM
Why not have both electronic and a physical barrier , for a once or twice a year beach work use fish oil or ensis fluid if you dont have a compressor just use a spray bottle

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

gaddy
17th November 2015, 05:17 PM
wouldnt a decent soaking with fresh water back home be enough .
Id never take my Patrol on the beach ,but thats me, looks like fun though. lol
You miss so many awsome places 😊

threedogs
17th November 2015, 05:34 PM
Yeah I know but its a daily and Ive seen what salt can do to a loom after being in salt water.
Who knows in the future things may change. I hope so

gaddy
17th November 2015, 05:43 PM
Contary to what the mags and dvds reckon, are not supposed to actually drive in the water !

Rossko07
18th November 2015, 03:55 PM
If it's already got electronic rust prevention.. Well your not going to get another one are you. Just give it a diy spray job underneath and spend a descent amount of time cleaning the car after every trip. Sorry I cannot recommend anyone in brissy.

King_ady1
18th November 2015, 09:06 PM
If it's already got electric rust prevention, then don't need to go too crazy. I would just slap some fish oil underneath beforehand, and when u get home run a good sprinkler under your car for a good amount of time to flush the sand out.
Just avoid water and should be sweet.
I use to use something like this, for about 15-20 mins in each quarter of the troll. Worked well. Blast the pressure washer through the chassis and cross members and all sweet.

wolften
19th November 2015, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the replies

gaddy
19th November 2015, 04:23 PM
Not a fan of the sprinkler thing , it removes the sand but not any of the salt residue , only pressure gets it off , if you have a roof rack / basket remove that when ya wash it to , there's a reason the gutters rust , and give the shiny bits a good polish before hand ,

Wizard52
20th November 2015, 10:31 AM
If you are going to use spray on fish oil, do it well in advance as it takes a long time to dry. 2 years ago I did a spray underneath and went over to the Island about a month later and I still have some sand stuck to fish oil and it won't come off with normal high hose pressure. Most of it has gone now but I think it is now to late to do it for this Xmas.
Lots and lots of low pressure water when you get home over several days is the best way to clean sand and salt. Even CT18 sprayed on and left over night helps as well.
My ute is now 9yrs old and goes to Fraser regularly and it has virtually no rust after initial spray rust proofing and a CAT electronic unit. Jury is out on which type is most effective.

wolften
20th November 2015, 01:05 PM
Was thinking I'll go with getting the troll rust proofed as well before I go over.
My previous Patrols were rust proofed but didn't bother with this one, just the ERP.
Anything to look out for regarding spray on, I'll prolly take it to someone to do.

King_ady1
20th November 2015, 01:07 PM
If you are going to use spray on fish oil, do it well in advance as it takes a long time to dry. 2 years ago I did a spray underneath and went over to the Island about a month later and I still have some sand stuck to fish oil and it won't come off with normal high hose pressure. Most of it has gone now but I think it is now to late to do it for this Xmas.
Lots and lots of low pressure water when you get home over several days is the best way to clean sand and salt. Even CT18 sprayed on and left over night helps as well.
My ute is now 9yrs old and goes to Fraser regularly and it has virtually no rust after initial spray rust proofing and a CAT electronic unit. Jury is out on which type is most effective.

True this. Never gone beach that soon after. But good to know. Was about to do it this weekend for new years dBm island trip. But I'll hold off now ;) cheers :)

Wizard52
22nd November 2015, 01:08 PM
Was thinking I'll go with getting the troll rust proofed as well before I go over.
My previous Patrols were rust proofed but didn't bother with this one, just the ERP.
Anything to look out for regarding spray on, I'll prolly take it to someone to do.

Probably best to get it done properly by someone who really knows what they are doing. Then just keep religiously cleaning as discussed and spray any areas that wear or get scratched.

ashhunter
12th January 2016, 05:18 PM
What brand of electric rust prevention are you guys using?

Wizard52
13th January 2016, 09:10 AM
What brand of electric rust prevention are you guys using?

CAT from some bloke in WA but I doubt if it really matters which brand. As I mentioned above, jury is still out which type of rust proofing is best--spray or electronic.

Stropp
13th January 2016, 07:22 PM
CAT from some bloke in WA but I doubt if it really matters which brand. As I mentioned above, jury is still out which type of rust proofing is best--spray or electronic.

wa consumer affairs has said that they dont work and customers should get a refund.

Oversize
14th January 2016, 06:29 AM
Have no idea if Thelma was ever rust proofed, original owner was a coal mine, then a supervisor bought her... I bought her off him.

Because she was FULL of coal dust I hosed and hosed every accessible cavity and then after each outing, while she was still hot, I spreayed a can of Lanox on her underside. The build up of Lanox has worked well and she has very little visible rust. And yes we still enjoy a drive on the beach. 560,000ks and just starting to show her age.