PDA

View Full Version : Body swap or replace roof

drewgong
16th November 2015, 02:38 PM
G'day just after some advice
I have a 89 gq 4.2td got bad rust in roof. Ive bought a very tidy 96 body what's easier swap roofs or bodies

4bye4
16th November 2015, 02:41 PM
G'day and welcome to the forum.

threedogs
16th November 2015, 03:27 PM
Hi mate and welcome , could you pop over to the intros first just something the forum asks of us all
no harm done just polite and all,

As for your dilema Id swap bodies if you have the tools etc to do it safely

King_ady1
16th November 2015, 07:02 PM
With TD on this one. Rather swap the body if possible. Less chance of hassle from the transport people if they see the seams. But also might be able to get away without having to repaint it as well.

And a great chance to check over the rest of the chassis in hidden pockets/hard to see places, even clean and spray chassis if need be.

Just my opinion.

Patrol'n
16th November 2015, 09:13 PM
Gday mate, welcome to the forum.

I have to agree with the posts above, as much as a body swap is still not a small job, make sure you have the tools and safety equipment, a bunch of patience etc, if it's a choice between undoing a number of bolts, (even a large number of bolts) and some wiring etc or cutting a roof off and welding in a new one, I reckon I'd be choosing replacing the body.

In my experience rust repair is never fun... Always seems to be more rust than can be seen on the surface, and if a lot is visible on the surface, who knows how much extra work will reveal itself, will it all line up afterwards, will the windscreen seal properly, will the welds be weak points after many kilometres of corrugations, that sort of thing.

I don't know what the legalities are of either (if this is something you're worried about), maybe someone has experience here with the this?

drewgong
19th November 2015, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the replies fellas I dont know why my stats say im new ive been a member for years and made several posts in the past. Gunna do the body swap. Blast the chassis while its off and paint under new body with some kind of body deadner

Winnie
19th November 2015, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the replies fellas I dont know why my stats say im new ive been a member for years and made several posts in the past. Gunna do the body swap. Blast the chassis while its off and paint under new body with some kind of body deadner

Hey mate, your profile is telling us that you joined in 2012 but haven't posted before this thread.

drewgong
19th November 2015, 03:48 PM
Ive made several mate haven't been on here for about a year

GQ TANK
26th November 2015, 07:19 AM
I would swap bodys, and the body compliance plate

If they body's are the same color and style - i would not notify any one

If the colour is different , I would advise your local RTA that you have repainted the vehicle and have the colour changed on the paper work.

you are not changing the chassis, engine and vin numbers.

Col.T
30th November 2015, 05:49 PM
G'day Drewby,
gotta say I admire you but that's probably because I'm a tired old fart.
Got a coldie in hand and trying to picture the kilometres of wire and the gigabits of bolts, nuts, screws, rivets, fasteners, retainers, you name it etc. on a car needing transfer to a bare shell.
Wow!
Like to hear a few progress reports.
Good luck,
Col

Robo
1st December 2015, 11:01 AM
Go the whole hog.
If the old body is suffering rust bad in the roof good chance rust has bitten elsewhere.
Rust proofing in and out .
swapping the body, yes it's a big job so why not spend a little more time doing it better.
You'll be happy knowing that you did it while its apart, later on after you've put it all together is a pita.

Hey, why not sound/heat proof the fire wall while its apart, it's the perfect time.

David reeve
17th January 2016, 07:54 AM
I'm in the middle of doing a cab swap not as easy as I was hoping for due to time issues but I'll get there eventually

sgt_raffie
17th January 2016, 09:55 AM
Yep. Swap the body. You will have a good chance to look the car through at the same time.

David reeve
17th January 2016, 10:28 AM
Yeah that's why I'm doing a full rebuild from ground up get it back to pristine condition