PDA

View Full Version : Gu diffs into GQ ....compatibility

grunta11
16th November 2015, 12:46 AM
Hi,
How compatible are the GU wagon diffs front and rear, to bolt into GQ LWB? I'm weighing up the effort going ahead with a conversion rather than just swap centres.
I'm looking at a ratio swap from 3.9 to 4.1 after fitting 33,s and have come across a disc to disc front and rear out of a GU 4.5 petrol at a what I think is a good price. (Are all GU diffs & centres the same regardless of eng size, type) ?
What else do I need to prepare in readiness for this?
OR
is it really a bit overrated and should just make life easier for myself and do centres only....cheers!

BigRAWesty
16th November 2015, 07:01 AM
They are a solid upgrade.
Wider track, bigger cv and bigger brakes.
It's best to grab the bigger brake master too.
You'll need..
Gu tie rod and drag link..
If your keeping the gq steering box you'll need a gq rod end to slip into the drag like at the steering box end.
Apart from that springs, shocks, radius arms all bolt straight up..
There is only one model diff that was different.
Cant remember it though. But gu 4.5 diffs should be good to roll.
I'm currently rebuilding my 2.8 gu diffs with 4.6 centers to go in the gq

threedogs
16th November 2015, 09:35 AM
@ Kallen I think it was a diff from a ute that was different
One you could shave a bit off

grunta11
2nd December 2015, 09:33 PM
They are a solid upgrade.
Wider track, bigger cv and bigger brakes.
It's best to grab the bigger brake master too.
You'll need..
Gu tie rod and drag link..
If your keeping the gq steering box you'll need a gq rod end to slip into the drag like at the steering box end.
Apart from that springs, shocks, radius arms all bolt straight up..
There is only one model diff that was different.
Cant remember it though. But gu 4.5 diffs should be good to roll.
I'm currently rebuilding my 2.8 gu diffs with 4.6 centers to go in the gq

Thanks for the info bigwesty 👍

Sharky1
3rd December 2015, 03:25 PM
I 2nd what bigwesty said but just double check that the ratios on the 4.5L are 4.11 & not 4.23 or 4.37. The compliance plate will tell you what they are unless they've been changed.

grunta11
19th December 2015, 12:29 PM
just realised my error here, i already run 4.1 gears, therefore looking for at least 4.375 to bring back to standard.

BUT as the autos run a 30% overdrive of .694 (compared to 17% overdrive .836 for the manuals ) i was considering what 4.6 gears would do for the towing performance at highway speeds. The highway RPMs would be still lower than the manuals running 33`s with stock ratios........by the time i add my winch, steel bullbar scrub bar/steps, twin rear wheel carrier, roof rack, 80lt fridge, missus kids, gear, camper trailer..wheew!.........the ol girls gonna need a bit of a hand to push up the little hills yet alone headwinds and big hills...just a thought.....

mudnut
19th December 2015, 03:41 PM
The pinion flange on my gq 4.3 was smaller than the gu so I also had to swap them over.