PDA

View Full Version : Limited slip diff for front axle

Dr Gary
14th November 2015, 05:29 PM
Has anyone fitted a LSD to the front of a GU III??
If Yes, is it identical to the back LSD??
I prefer that option to a diff lock.
I found the hard way that either a LSD or diff lock is essential if I want to use MaxTrax on the front.
Cheers

threedogs
14th November 2015, 07:12 PM
Ive heard some use the D22 LSD but not sure how true that is, maybe a bit of searching

BigRAWesty
14th November 2015, 09:42 PM
I did a fair few years ago.
From my findings you need a rear lsd from a path finder or navara.
The front diff runs a 31 spline output and the rears run 33 spline (from memory).

mudski
16th November 2015, 04:08 PM
Why do you prefer an LSD to a diff lock? Plus you shouldnt need an LSD or diff lock for trax use. Otherwise most people wouldn't be able to use them. Well a lot of people....lol

FNQGU
16th November 2015, 06:03 PM
I don't have one, but was advised that the Eaton/Detroit LSD's are a good option.

Dr Gary
17th November 2015, 10:01 AM
Hey Mudski: Sadly when I buried my Patrol, I could not get enough traction on both wheels, so one spun, the other did nothing. Soft sand kept refilling the hole so no joy there!! My bad but all good--I got home OK. Bang Head

I prefer a LSD because I think a LSD is more simple--it is just there--no activation or controls

Dr Gary
17th November 2015, 10:04 AM
Lots of uncertainty out there--looks like I will opt for a locker.
Any comments on air vs. electronic lockers???

threedogs
17th November 2015, 10:21 AM
Personally Id go a Pro-locker, not convinced the extra dollars for an E-locker are worth it

Winnie
17th November 2015, 10:36 AM
Lots of uncertainty out there--looks like I will opt for a locker.
Any comments on air vs. electronic lockers???

I just bought an ARB air locker for my car, the main contributing factor to my decision was that they were on sale and I got a good price.
I was going to buy an ARB compressor anyway for pumping up tyres so I have killed two birds with one stone there.
ARB lockers have been around for yonks and that is what most of the comp trucks are running, I know heaps of people with ARB lockers and none have had issues but I don't know anybody with an e-locker or a TJM locker so my decision was pretty easy to make.

That being said, my locker hasn't been installed yet (goes in tomorrow) so I can't really report back on my personal experience yet.

BigRAWesty
17th November 2015, 11:43 AM
I just bought an ARB air locker for my car, the main contributing factor to my decision was that they were on sale and I got a good price.
I was going to buy an ARB compressor anyway for pumping up tyres so I have killed two birds with one stone there.
ARB lockers have been around for yonks and that is what most of the comp trucks are running, I know heaps of people with ARB lockers and none have had issues but I don't know anybody with an e-locker or a TJM locker so my decision was pretty easy to make.

That being said, my locker hasn't been installed yet (goes in tomorrow) so I can't really report back on my personal experience yet.
Be very interesting to see if they have actually fixed the oil issue

Dr Gary
17th November 2015, 06:20 PM
Be very interesting to see if they have actually fixed the oil issue
What is with the oil issue??

mudski
17th November 2015, 06:28 PM
What is with the oil issue??
Id like to know this too... the air fitting on my locker at the diff housing wasn't sealing properly and i had oil in the air line. Which in turn gafe an oil smell in the cab as i have the compressor under the pax seat...

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

threedogs
17th November 2015, 06:38 PM
@ Westy what Mudski said<<< thats one of the reason
many ppl including comp trucks down here went for the Pro-Locker

BigRAWesty
17th November 2015, 07:12 PM
Back at the start they had oil coming back up threw the air lines once depressurized from the diff..
Made a big mess at the pump..
They say they have fixed it but the father inlaws still does it takes for ever to disengage due to the pressure still being there

mudski
17th November 2015, 07:50 PM
...my issue was caused from the air fitting no sealing proper at the diff.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Dr Gary
19th November 2015, 08:49 AM
I have searched a lot of lockers, and for simplicity of operation it look like the Eaton "E Locker" has the most simple mechanicals.
Activate a magnet, balls move and pins engage.
The only penetration of the diff housing is for a power cable. No external solenoids etc, so pretty much fully contained except for the cable and dash switch.
Anyone have experience with these??

dads tractor
19th November 2015, 09:56 AM
I have searched a lot of lockers, and for simplicity of operation it look like the Eaton "E Locker" has the most simple mechanicals.
Activate a magnet, balls move and pins engage.
The only penetration of the diff housing is for a power cable. No external solenoids etc, so pretty much fully contained except for the cable and dash switch.
Anyone have experience with these??

Yeah that's the way I'm going for all the same reasons as stated.