PDA

View Full Version : Urgent help needed with indicators problem

SKID
13th November 2015, 09:23 PM
Urgent help needed with indicators problem, this morning when I hoped in my 2000 GU to head off to a job an hour and a half drive away, I noticed that my right hand indicator wasnt working, I didnt think much of it and thought I'd fix the problem this evening, but about 10K down the road the lefthand side indicator stopped working also, "no indicators, and no blinking lights on the dash", so I thought it must be a fuse or something, when I got on site I noticed that when I armed my alarm, ALL indicators flashed.
We had about 30 minutes before workers arrived, I hoped i my car with a few minutes to kill and discovered my left hand indicators were working again, and so where my hazzard lights. When I had breaks through out the day I would call my Auto electrician and ask questions, he got me to try turning my hazzards on and off in quick repartition for a minute thinking it was a dirty contact in the flasher unit, Called him a few times during the day, told him that when I put my left hand indicator on I could hear a click behind the dash beneath where the hazard switch is, and also heard a brief click when I turned the indicators to the right hand side but no lights. he ended up saying he couldn't really tell unless he were to look him self but was almost sure the indicator switch and stalk on the steering column was at faulty, I rand around a few wreckers and found one that had the indicator switch and stalk assembly so got my wife to go pick it up as I wouldn't be back in time to get to the wreckers before they closed.
When leaving the site at 5 as I pulled out of their driveway, I indicated left, and the light worked but with in a hundred yards left stopped working again.
I got home and pulled my steering column apart and put the replacement assembly in, turned ignition on, left indicator worked but not the right. Checked fuses etc, all appear working, disconnected the flasher relay and noticed when I turned left indicator on could still hear a click behind the dash, and a slighly less loud click when turn to right.

Took it for a several K drive this evening and the left indicator now SEEMs to be working and not cutting out like it did within in minutes of leaving the site, but right one still dead. I know my alarm system has its own relay to flash my indicators when arming or disarming, But am interested in is there an extra relay or the like behind the dash?. reading my workshop manuals it looks like a major job just to pull out the hazard switch.
What coild be causing the extra click when manipulating the indicator stalk?

if someone can shed some light on what the problem could be or get me looking at the situation from a different angle, that would be awesome.

I am ruling out the indicator switch and stalk as I find it hard to believe 2 would result in the same problem

This is doing my head in and I need to get it resolved asap

Yendor
13th November 2015, 09:54 PM
More then likely it's a faulty hazard switch.

The GUs only have one flasher relay. The same one is used for both the hazards and indicators.

the evil twin
13th November 2015, 11:07 PM
What year/model vehicle?

If it is an early run it may have a Cornering Lamp Relay even tho it doesn't have cornering lamps.
If it does the indicators go thru the Relay but the Hazards bypass it.
That means the hazards will always work OK but the Indicators can do weird shit
I 'think' the Cornering Relay (if there is one) may be behind the dash beside the Sub tank Comp.

SKID
14th November 2015, 05:01 AM
What year/model vehicle?

I 'think' the Cornering Relay (if there is one) may be behind the dash beside the Sub tank Comp.

You might be onto something here as that is about where the click sund is, how easy is it to replace?

SKID
14th November 2015, 05:05 AM
Or is there a way to bypass it?

SKID
14th November 2015, 05:20 AM
Its a 2000 series 2

the evil twin
14th November 2015, 12:25 PM
You might be onto something here as that is about where the click sund is, how easy is it to replace?

If I am it will be a notable event... I haven't picked anything right for ages including the Cup and the Lotto

Or is there a way to bypass it?

Well, yeah, if there was one you could I spose but a replacement would be easier.

Its a 2000 series 2

Hmmm, that is around about when they did a few wiring changes if the manuals are anything to go by...

Pop out the centre dash and have a poke around.
If there is a little mystery box beside the Sub Tank Computer (further in than the Flasher Unit) it may be a Cornering Lamp Relay.
If there is nothing there then I am full of Kaka as usual

SKID
14th November 2015, 12:51 PM
I'm going to knock off work an hour early today so i have a bit of daylight to play with. Is the corner lamp relay just a normal relay? I have heaps of thoee laying around. Otherwise i might bypass it using some sort of bridge so i can drive with working indicators until i can get to the wreckers on monday or tuesday....
Anyone with any other tips or suggestions is welcome to chime in...

SKID
14th November 2015, 08:05 PM
I made up my own wiring harness, and by passe anything and everything that wasn't essential, and now everything is working fine, Thank you for your suggestions and info....

the evil twin
14th November 2015, 08:07 PM
As a point of interest did you have an "odd" looking extra component in there that you bypassed?

SKID
14th November 2015, 08:12 PM
As a point of interest did you have an "odd" looking extra component in there that you bypassed?

Had a couple of boxes.... bypassed them and all is good, have tested every instrument and accessory and can sleep well tonight....
Will post some pi's when my phone charges up to maybe help some one else out down the track....