PDA

View Full Version : GU windscreen replacment. Do I need to remove the snorkel?

mudski
12th November 2015, 04:29 PM
So my windscreen needs replacing. So I have to do the hunt around for the best price, but first, the Safari snorkel sits right over the rubber. Not touching it but the contours of the snorkel pretty much cover the left side. So do I need to remove the snorkel you think? I'm thinking yes, err, maybe. The bolts that hold the bracket to the pillar are rusted in good, no chance of them coming out in one piece, and hte bracket is riveted to the pillar...If so, and might hang out a bit and save a few $$$ and get a 4inch snorkel for the shitter. Then what 4inch snorkel do I go for? Ugh!

the evil twin
12th November 2015, 04:38 PM
Just had O'Briens put a new screen in mine last week
My Safari Snork stayed in place... old mate said Patrols are usually OK but sometimes they have to get them off so the "robot arm" they stick to the Pax window can clear the Snork

Take it to a Windsceen joint and ask them to have a look and advise you (thats what I did then made an appointment and they did it at my house)

threedogs
12th November 2015, 05:37 PM
I was quoted $130 then they failed to show up, "discount" then they sent another guy out he was late and had the wrong windscreen, "discount"
Then the boss said bring it in Ill do it, didnt seat the seal on the bottom corners and moulding end caps were missing and chipped paint on my bonnet, "discount",
Rebooked it for the windscreen to be removed and not just cut the seal to fix it, "discount". New winscreen $50 bargain if not jerked around a bit
Now I cut and polish my windscreen
treat any rust you find

happygu
12th November 2015, 05:48 PM
They did mine with the Safari Snorkel still attached, and it only took them a few minutes.

Don't let them use the original rubbers though, as when they cut out the old windscreen, the rubbers get sliced internally, and then they shrink in the sun.

Mine was done by a supposed reputable installer, by my insurance company, and they used the original rubber ( I could tell by the mud stains and dirt ) - even when they told me they wouldn't and it has shrunk...

lhurley
12th November 2015, 05:51 PM
Windscreen bit I have no idea, but interested to see as mine is a bit crappy.

But the snorkel I can offer 2 cents, I recently saw a Radius Fab 4" snorkel on a patrol, and to be honest, I was disappointed. For something that they have a jig for, the fit up of the individual pieces of tube was crap, like the angle piece that goes from the guard to the upright was out by the entire thickness of the tube. I get that for some people that's not a big deal, but for me it was, spend 2 seconds getting it right ffs. Didn't follow the lines of the car very well either. The welds looked alight, it was dark and powder coated so hard to see. For the $700 odd they are worth I wouldn't. But I'm fussy haha

MudRunnerTD
12th November 2015, 07:05 PM
if you have full comp insurance with Glass cover you can get a new windscreen for free without any excess payable or premium increase. 1 per year. It must be smashed or cracked and not just hand blown.

I had a new screen fitted after the Meetup in the Middle after copping a big Rock. Easy claim to make, they fitted it in my driveway. Sign the form and done and dusted.

Note this same cover will cover ANY Glass in your car! if your touring and smash your rear window glass from a rock off your camper then same rule applies. Free.

Maxhead
12th November 2015, 07:29 PM
if you have full comp insurance with Glass cover you can get a new windscreen for free without any excess payable or premium increase. 1 per year. It must be smashed or cracked and not just hand blown.

I had a new screen fitted after the Meetup in the Middle after copping a big Rock. Easy claim to make, they fitted it in my driveway. Sign the form and done and dusted.

Note this same cover will cover ANY Glass in your car! if your touring and smash your rear window glass from a rock off your camper then same rule applies. Free.

Yep I pay extra $50 a year for glass cover and somehow I manage to cop a rock every year without fail :wink:

mudski
12th November 2015, 07:56 PM
Ok so, it looks like the snorkel wontbe much of an issue. Now to find an installer at the right price.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

mudski
13th November 2015, 08:52 AM
I wonder how hard it is to remove the windscreen myself. As I think it has moisture under the lower right corner and are worries there might be some rust. So I'll need to treat that first before the new screen goes in.

MudRunnerTD
13th November 2015, 09:37 AM
It's pretty easy. YouTube is your friend

threedogs
13th November 2015, 11:43 AM
The fitter may let you treat the area, I lanotec'd mine.
Dont use National I did but never again

missingdna
14th November 2015, 10:58 PM
So my windscreen needs replacing. So I have to do the hunt around for the best price, but first, the Safari snorkel sits right over the rubber. Not touching it but the contours of the snorkel pretty much cover the left side. So do I need to remove the snorkel you think? I'm thinking yes, err, maybe. The bolts that hold the bracket to the pillar are rusted in good, no chance of them coming out in one piece, and hte bracket is riveted to the pillar...If so, and might hang out a bit and save a few $$$ and get a 4inch snorkel for the shitter. Then what 4inch snorkel do I go for? Ugh!

Gu patrol windscreens are bonded to the vehicle body with a polyurethane. Most patrol snorkels can be left on, but will need to be unbolted from the bracket and the bracket may need to be removed to allow the screen to be set in place correctly. With urethane set screens the glass has to be set in place nearly perfectly first touch, none of this drop in and drag across crap that didnt matter with rubber set screens like the gq's.
Obriens are meant to be using a lil buddy lifting device that some snorkels interfere with the action and may need the tech to rebook for a 2 man lift (obriens do not like one man dead lifting due to oh&s)

The original mould and retainer should not be reused as stated already and be replaced with a generic universal mould. Due to the different style of moulding you may end up with a small amount of excess ooze on the inside when finished, but a good tech, without having to slide the screen past a snorkel will minimize or even have none.
To do a gu correctly the wipers,plennum chamber cover and lower moulding will need to be removed. IF THE FITTER DOES NOT REMOVE THESE THEN HE IS A HACK!!!!

If any scratching is done to the apperture this will need to be primed to prevent rust starting. Again, if not done hes a hack

any existing rust will need to be treated while the screen is out. Do not use tectyl /fishoil etc as the will stuff the urethane bonding. There is no quick fix for rust. Send the fitter away, fix the rust properly and have them return at a later date to refit the screen. The fitter may offer to prime over existing rust. Even if its surface rust only it doesnt matter, the surface is what the urethane's stick to. Treat rust as car cancer. Priming/coating existing rust is the same as putting a band-aid on a skin cancer and saying "she'll be right". It wont be right, the rust keeps forming and you will end up with water leaks that can stuff your electrics.

im used to be a panel beater many years ago, and been fitting windscreens for 22 years, i also own 2 gu patrols.
All going well with no major problems it should take 35-45 mins to do the job, no problem if it takes longer but any quicker and they are cutting corners.

jack
14th November 2015, 11:09 PM
Gu patrol windscreens are bonded to the vehicle body with a polyurethane. Most patrol .........

Thanks mate, this is good info

MB
1st March 2017, 08:18 PM
G'day Folks, found an old thread here with some awesome info kindly posted up quite some time ago. Reason for my searching was that Mrs MB has pre-paid with our credit card today $628 to 'Windscreens Obrien' for her to drop the 2001 GU family truckster to them for replacement. They've sent her no receipt received as yet or told of the extent of works, screen only and or rubber seal included etc... Before I start ringing when they're open again tomorrow would anyone kindly have some 'W-Obrien' up to date advice on that sort of $$ we've already been locked into apparently:-)

mudski
1st March 2017, 08:46 PM
Am I reading this right? $628 for a windscreen? Sorry my home brew is doing funny shizz to my head tonight!

mudski
1st March 2017, 08:49 PM
Also Mark I can almost guarantee mate that they wont remove the scuttle panel and then unbolt the lower windscreen rubber before they do any work. Which will more than likely result in damage to the lower seal. This happened to me when the windscreen was removed and refitted. For that money I would be making sure they do remove these first.

MB
1st March 2017, 09:09 PM
Thanks Mudski mate!
Appreciate the update, I'll be sure to check into this heaps further now mate:-)

mudski
1st March 2017, 09:13 PM
Thanks Mudski mate!
Appreciate the update, I'll be sure to check into this heaps further now mate:-)

Ask them if the windscreen is bullet proof too. It would want to be for that price. lol.

Bacho86
1st March 2017, 10:37 PM
Whilst I've never replaced a windscreen in the patrol, when relaxing another vehicles I found O'Brien's to be at least 2 -3x price of others! They do a lot of insurance jobs....

Local "Jim's windscreen" was the cheapest, not sure if you'd have a local one though MB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mudski
1st March 2017, 10:44 PM
I cant remember who did mine, i got it done through Club 4x4. They stuffed the lower seal and left broken glass everywhere inside the car.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

threedogs
2nd March 2017, 12:24 PM
$600 plus for a windscreen HELLO,, My mate in the game says most cars ,,4x4 are around the same price
its the exotics that command a high price. Make sure they seal the bottom corners correctly and not just cut
them to make them fit. Id be ringing around $600 plus nah

MB
2nd March 2017, 01:24 PM
Thanks for all the advice gents, truly appreciated!
Have just cancelled her booking and made them refund our card which takes a couple of days to hit back in our account. PatrolApart are using their experienced bloke to do it next week whilst its getting serviced for under half O'briens price, Happy Days!

Hodge
2nd March 2017, 01:30 PM
Hey Mark. We had National do a windscreen on one of our Hiaces this morning. I asked him and he couldn't give me a price as he doesn't deal with the $ side of things. But he did say in his experience the biggest obstacle in GUs is the rust. Quiet often he will pull a windscreen off and then rust repair has to be organised before new one will go on. Sometimes takes days.
Just my little feedback.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

mudski
2nd March 2017, 02:56 PM
Hey Mark. We had National do a windscreen on one of our Hiaces this morning. I asked him and he couldn't give me a price as he doesn't deal with the $ side of things. But he did say in his experience the biggest obstacle in GUs is the rust. Quiet often he will pull a windscreen off and then rust repair has to be organised before new one will go on. Sometimes takes days.
Just my little feedback.

Thats the mob who did mine I think. I remember the guy saying the exact same thing to me.

threedogs
2nd March 2017, 03:57 PM
Hodge is that National from Airport west, I think they have moved?
Even the boss of National stuffed up my installation,Ill be going elsewhere

Hodge
2nd March 2017, 04:00 PM
Hodge is that National from Airport west, I think they have moved?
Even the boss of National stuffed up my installation,Ill be going elsewhere
No idea. We have 84 vehicles, windscreens replaces all the time and different companies and blokes all the time.