PDA

View Full Version : TB42 EFI Fuel System problem

maza
11th November 2015, 10:49 AM
I have had this intermittent problem for some time now. I'd drive the vehicle for some time then park it ....then when i try to start the engine again before it cools down the motor would start only running on a couple of cyl and not be able to rev up. After about 5 to 10 secs or so of running rough everything would change and the engine would be running fine without problems. The problem doesnt appear to happen when the engine has cooled down overnight.

Until recently this continued but one day it refused to start at all. I decided to check the fuel filter. When i took the fuel hose off the delivery side of the fuel filter before going directly to the fuel rail connection pipe I had pressurized air or fuel vapour blowing out of the fuel filter for some time until it was depleted. After the pressured air/vapour was purged and hoses reconnected the engine started fine but has a small miss while accelerating when the engine is hot.

I decided to check a few things. I put a guage in the fuel system between the filter and fuel rail. While the engine was running i had roughly 30psi. I disconnected the vacuum hose off the pressure regulator but the fuel pressure remained the same.... according to the manual there should of been an increase to approx 40 psi this didnt happen. I stopped the engine and monitored the fuel pressure and it held at 30psi for some time without dropping.

I removed the return hose to the tank off the pressure regulator started the engine and noted no fuel coming from the regulator. ..while the engine was still running I then removed the vacuum hose off the pressure regulator but still nothing come from the regulator.

My knowledge of this fuel system in minimal and appears to me that the fuel pump may be at fault but i dont understand how the air/vapour gets into the system.

What do you guys think or recommend to fix this problem.

billyj
11th November 2015, 09:50 PM
may well be the fuel pump pretty much all the signs point to it being a fuel delivery issue, but first id put a new filter on it as if its old and has copped some dirty fuel they can block up really bad.

maza
13th November 2015, 02:02 PM
may well be the fuel pump pretty much all the signs point to it being a fuel delivery issue, but first id put a new filter on it as if its old and has copped some dirty fuel they can block up really bad.

Thanks billyj for your input much appreciated.

I just finished installing a new aftermarket fuel pump. I now have fuel returning to the tank from the fuel pressure regulator...this should fix the air/vapour problem ( but still a mystery ).

I took it for a run and seems to have fixed the slight miss i had while accelerating at highter revs and seems to have a bit more power......;)

I'm happy for the moment and hope the problem doesn't reocurr.