PDA

View Full Version : TB42 GQ drank its coolant ?

baloo
10th November 2015, 07:29 PM
hi guys my GQ used all its coolant in like 2 weeks, is this normal ? Ive topped it back up, and i cant see any leeks, but if im caught in traffic on the way home it can get hot pretty quick. Im new to engines and ive got alot to learn, but any help would be much appreciated cheers

4bye4
10th November 2015, 07:45 PM
If its using coolant and its not leaking it could have an air leak in the recovery hose or a faulty radiator cap. That is it expands out of the radiator and then sucks air back in instead of coolant. Other issues could be head or head gasket. Hope its the air theory as that is not too bad an issue to fix.

the evil twin
10th November 2015, 07:50 PM
Petty or dual fuel?

Coolant can only go two places if there are no leaks, out the overflow or thru the engine.
Getting hot is a bit of a worry might be time for a test for exhaust gas in the coolant if it keeps using it

dom14
11th November 2015, 11:22 PM
Sounds like the head gasket. If you can see white smoke, that's also a 'good' sign that it's the head gasket or cracked head.

Clunk
12th November 2015, 12:02 AM
Take the engine oil cap off. Turn it over and if you have a milky looking residue in there, then your head is either cracked somewhere, or head gasket is done.

Patrol'n
12th November 2015, 01:00 AM
Using all the coolant is not normal for any engines I'm aware of that are in reasonable health. My engine doesn't use any coolant (touch wood).
Getting hot in traffic can be caused by a few things, but if in conjunction with using all the coolant in two weeks, it does point towards an internal problem, as others have said, possibly a head gasket or cracked head. I had a similar problem on a different car years ago, was caused by corrosion on the head, likely from a previous owner not using proper coolant.
I would recommend getting it checked by someone with the equipment to diagnose it, if it's due to an internal problem, it's unlikely to get better by itself and could end up making repairs more expensive.