PDA

View Full Version : Tailshaft length with decent rear flex or lift

gremlin
10th November 2015, 09:52 AM
can anyone tell me why roadrunner and snake etc sell tailshaft spacers which are supposed to be installed with a big lift or big flex ? their adds say to stop the slip joint extending right out and the tailshaft coming apart..

im confused by this product as ive currently hit the exact opposite scenario, i need a shorter tailshaft.

i have a gu wagon with 3" lift running drop out cones and retainers with 6" rear shocks (770mm open) .. at full travel on a hoist im softly hitting my tailshaft on the crossmember (already flipped it around) so i may need to notch this.. but more importantly my tailshaft slip joint is completely closed up (unable to push it in any further with one end unbolted from the car) ... removing the grease nipple had a small amount of grease come out but not any additional movement so its not hydro locked from over greasing, its just out of travel... we wouldnt have found this either without it on a hoist as its had the tailshaft on and off many times with the car on the ground...

while i appreciate that you dont often see travel offroad like a hoist is doing to it with both rear wheels hanging its quite concerning when your tailshaft binding hard shut is pretty much the limit of your travel!! .. not nice to transfer or diff pinion bearings i wouldnt think!

also, does anyone know much about what models had longer and shorter tailshafts? i have in my possession a 1998 gu wagon tb45 auto tailshaft and a 2010 zd30 (unknown gearbox) tailshaft and the zd30 2010 tailshaft is 20mm longer than the older tb45 auto tailshaft.. is it an auto vs manual thing? or is it the engine difference?

is it possible that the different length tailshafts have some relevance to the different lower rear arm lengths we see from patrol to patrol even in similar years? im currently running replacement lower arms that are 678mm long which i was under the impression were factory length.. but i only later found out about the random differences between stock patrols of lower arm lengths so i had not measured mine before binning them.... could mine have had "longer" lower arms from the factory to compensate for the longer tailshaft and ive actually introduce this problem by going to a "shorter" lower arm? .. i have adjustable upper arms so pinion angle is all sorted...

cheers for any assistance

gremlin
10th November 2015, 10:02 AM
example of spacer
http://www.roadrunneroffroad.com.au/REAR-25mm-Tailshaft-Spacer-Nissan-GQ-GU-Patrol-Maverick.html

threedogs
10th November 2015, 10:48 AM
Probably to stop the yoke slipping out under full flex

gremlin
10th November 2015, 01:36 PM
Probably to stop the yoke slipping out under full flex

Yeah i read their sales pitch but why is mine shortening at full flex thats what im confused about. .

The spacer is a cheap quick fix when a longer tailshaft is called for.. im needing a shorter tailshaft

mudski
10th November 2015, 08:15 PM
Im struggling to see how your rear tailshaft is getting shorter when the axle is lowered. I know on mine the tail shaft got longer when i dropped my rear axle.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

nissannewby
10th November 2015, 08:23 PM
With standard arms the diff will get closer to the transfer as it lowers due to that nature of how the arms work.

mudski
10th November 2015, 08:34 PM
With standard arms the diff will get closer to the transfer as it lowers due to that nature of how the arms work.
Haha. You just jogged my memory. I had the upper and lower arms unbolted. It was when i was putting in the new springs and shocks.
With the arms bolted up, they actually pull on the diff as it get lower.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

gremlin
10th November 2015, 11:29 PM

yeh thats it ay..

so one one assume those spacers for patrol lifts/flex are absolutely useless and never used?

i guess ill hunt down a shorter tailshaft..

im just suprised its not a common issue as 6" rear shocks on a patrol are damn common arent they

nissannewby
11th November 2015, 07:52 PM
Are your lower arms straight? Like they havent been bent. There are plenty of people running "6 inch" shocks without issue.

gremlin
12th November 2015, 09:50 AM
Are your lower arms straight? Like they havent been bent. There are plenty of people running "6 inch" shocks without issue.

yep 100% straight mate.. aftermarket heavy duty items .. but have confirmed they are perfect..