PDA

View Full Version : GU Exhaust Upgrade

Wreno
9th November 2015, 11:15 PM
Hey All

Hope you're all doing well :)

It is time to upgrade the exhaust on my 2001 3.0L Patrol - found this little guy after hearing a strange rattle!

So was forced on me but something I have been meaning to do. Currently it is welded together as temporary fix.

I have been searching the forums and based on member recommendations, I have compiled the following list :
(prices are approximate)

Taipan : $1600 (installed)

Genie - Stainless pipe system : $995
http://genieperformance.com.au/product/nissan-gu-patrol-3l-td-wagon-2000-2011-exhaust/

Dinkum : from $777 (configurable with or without cat converter, muffler or straight through etc)
https://dinkumexhausts.com.au/shop/3-0l-td/dinkum-3-exhaust-system-to-suit-nissan-patrol-gu-3-0l-td/

Domin8r (4wdsupacenter) - stainless steel - $747.50
http://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/domin8r-exhausts-stainless-steel-exhaust-nissan-patrol-gu-3-0l-wagon-2000-2008.html

Beaudesert Exhaust
$1135 Aluminised Steel, $1800 Stainless steel
* note: they supply a 2 ¾" exhaust : "outperforms most 3" exhaust systems which are fine for the 4.2L GU but too big for the 3.0L GU"
http://beauexhausts.com.au/

Would anyone rule out any of these products / companies? Any other companies that stand out?

Most of the sites say around 4 hour fitting time (DIY) - that sound about right?

Thanks for your help

Cheers

Sourced from the following posts :
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?30810-Domin8r-exhaust

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?32262-After-market-exhausts-and-catalytic-converters/page3&highlight=genie

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?23603-3-quot-Taipan-xp-exhaust-system&highlight=exhaust+upgrade

Bigcol
9th November 2015, 11:44 PM
I think the Taipan is ceramic coated isnt it......?

would explain the hefty price

threedogs
10th November 2015, 01:57 PM
Try Scotts Rods as well

Wreno
10th November 2015, 05:22 PM
Updated Beaudesert Exhaust quote.

Taipan - that price is installed too I believe - will update post

Bigcol
10th November 2015, 11:20 PM
atleast Beaudesert explained why you shouldn't have a 3"

and it is correct 2 3/4" is better for the 3L than the 3"

although, at the price (1800 V's 1600 for the Taipan) was the Taipan quote for the 304 stainless or the mild steel?

if it was 304 stainless, I think I would lean towards the Taipan

get another 15 years out of it (hopefully)

mudski
11th November 2015, 07:29 AM
Why do you want stainless? Unless you need it to be you are throwing money away that could be used on other mods. You will get zero extra performance from a stainless pipe over an aluminised pipe.

I have a Dinkum pipe, they make the pipes for the Redback Extreme series. The difference with dinkum is they use a 3 bolt flange, compared to 4 bolt on the Redback, less paint on the pipe after its made and different hanger brackets.

If you can fit it yourself you will save a few dollars too. The bigest pain it bolting up the dump pipe. The rest is quite easy.
Also im going against the grain here about the pipe size. 3inch all the way. The less restriction the better. You dont want any back pressure at all. A free flowing motor is paramount for performance.
I cant see how 3inch is too much for a 3ltr. When i had my 3ltr, the 3inch system in mine was good. Then i removed the large muffler from it. It was so much better.
So one would think that if a 3inch is too big, by removing the muffler it should have made it worse, not better. My 2c.
Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

threedogs
11th November 2015, 09:55 AM

although, at the price (1800 V's 1600 for the Taipan) was the Taipan quote for the 304 stainless or the mild steel?

From reading here from others it appears the 2.75" BeauDesert exhaust suits the CRD motor better.
The mighty Di can handle the 3" exhaust

Wreno
12th November 2015, 09:29 AM
Yeah, I dont think I can justify additional costs for stainless steel - the Domin8r stainless steel price seems to be good to be true!

Was leading towards the dinkum for the price, service and configurability when you order.

I am thinking a straight through setup as I dont imagine the 3L gets too crazy loud? Mudski, how was the sound on your 3L when you removed the muffler?

Cheers

mudski
12th November 2015, 03:31 PM
Yeah, I dont think I can justify additional costs for stainless steel - the Domin8r stainless steel price seems to be good to be true!

Was leading towards the dinkum for the price, service and configurability when you order.

I am thinking a straight through setup as I dont imagine the 3L gets too crazy loud? Mudski, how was the sound on your 3L when you removed the muffler?

Cheers

Not loud at all mate. Had a nice kind of whooshing sound to it when you put your foot into it, but no way was it loud or droning in the cab. Even my TD42 has no muffler and thats louder, but still not like a petrol motor loud would be.

Rock Trol
12th November 2015, 04:23 PM
People advise against the 3 inch on the crd as it is more likely to cause over boost than a 2.75 inch exhaust. Easily fixed by Dawes valve. There is no guarantee that the 2.75 wont cause over boost either.

the evil twin
12th November 2015, 04:51 PM
Disagree with parts of few comments...

2 3/4 is around optimum dump size for a ZD30 either Di or CRD from an engineering theory standpoint.
The reason bigger isn't always better is to do with a few principles including Exhaust gas mass increases due to cooling and Exhaust pressure pulses at the turbine vanes.
Larger dia means the flow is better and the Turbo will spool quicker but that isn't an infinite gain IE at some point the bigger pipe produces no further gain and other issues now start to impact on the Turbo etc.

Soooo... in poor old ETs humble opinion, does 3 inch over 2 3/4 matter?
Well, to a reccy user, no it probably doesn't matter a rats
If I made exhausts and I only had to make 1 size for any GU then that is going to save me heaps and make my margin better or product cheaper
If I made exhausts and can make a system at a different size for a target consumer and it gave me a marketing difference that gets me money then why not.

Why does Nissan use a smaller pipe dia system than that again if it reduces Turbo performance?
Because smaller pipes are quieter, easier to design and route and assist in emmission management albeit not as much as dodgy ECU software.

Wreno
17th November 2015, 10:08 AM
Thanks for all the feedback and tips. I will proceed with a straight-through 3", most likely from dinkum and will install with help from a few mates :)

mudski, I emailed you through this forum last week about ordering a few things - whats the best way to contact you?

Thanks again - so great to have this forum, as it is such a great resource to have at your finger tips!
:)

cheers

mudski
17th November 2015, 12:48 PM
Email is the best mate for point of contact. You wont regret the choice in pipe. Just get on with a high flow cat in it though. Big fines if caught without one.

threedogs
17th November 2015, 05:45 PM

true to a point the 2.75 is more suited to the CRD,,,,
the Di can handle the 3", but will required a manual boost controller, gauges etc

mudski
17th November 2015, 06:59 PM
true to a point the 2.75 is more suited to the CRD,,,,
the Di can handle the 3", but will required a manual boost controller, gauges etc
I honestly think that is bollocks! Just a marketing ploy to sell more pipes for the newer motors in my opinion. The only difference between the di and crd is the ecu, intake and fuel delivery system. Unless there is an independent dyno run done to prove otherwise, im calling bs. If im wrong, ill be happy say im wrong.

PullsyJr
20th November 2015, 12:34 PM
When will you be looking at getting this and installing it? A new exhaust system is something I may be needing one day soon and would be keen on doing it myself. I'd love to know how hard it is... :)

Wreno
23rd November 2015, 12:21 PM
Will be trying do before xmas - moving at house in the next few weeks so proving to be difficult to lock in some time for this :)

I will definitely report back on how it goes and what the pain points were :)

qwertytank
24th November 2015, 05:31 PM
Hi Wreno,

With your new Dinkum exhaust did you opt for a Large Muffler, Hot Dog (no bun) or no muffler?
I'm looking at it and like the idea of a Hot Dog but not sure.... (and no it not just because i'm hungry!)

Anyone else please feel free to jump in... to Hot Dog or Not to Hot Dog!

Cheers,
T

mudski
24th November 2015, 06:24 PM
Hi Wreno,

With your new Dinkum exhaust did you opt for a Large Muffler, Hot Dog (no bun) or no muffler?
I'm looking at it and like the idea of a Hot Dog but not sure.... (and no it not just because i'm hungry!)

Anyone else please feel free to jump in... to Hot Dog or Not to Hot Dog!

Cheers,
T
If its a 3ltr. Go no muffler. No doubt 100%. I did with my 3ltr and it was the best thing. More noticeable than having a DP chip.
If its a 4.2. Go no muffler. No doubt 100%. Not so much noticable in performance to my 4.2 as it was putting out 160rwkw with a muffler, but the sound. Oh so sweet! Lol.
As for fitting, if your handing with spanners. Have a crack yourself. The hardest part is the dump pipe. The muffler shroud can be a pain in the butt to remove. You just gotta hold your tounge the right way. The rest is real easy.
If its the 3ltr i would go buy some spare turbo to dump pipe studs and nuts before you do it. Unless you have access to these parts easily enough then dont bother.

qwertytank
25th November 2015, 09:42 AM
Thanks Mudski,

It is a 3ltr and I'm keen to give it a go myself, thanks for the heads up on dump pipe studs and nuts I'll make sure to have some on hand. :)

Wreno
25th November 2015, 03:46 PM
Hey qwerty

Yes, will be going the straight-through pipe, so no muffler. Seems to be the way to go, especially for 3.0L, based on opinions in this forum and others.

Mudski, are the extra studs and bolts for situations like :
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?20841-Siezed-nuts-on-dump-pipe
?

Will email you now Mudski, as might as well do the ECG blocking while I am in there too.

Cheers

mudski
25th November 2015, 06:16 PM
Hey qwerty

Yes, will be going the straight-through pipe, so no muffler. Seems to be the way to go, especially for 3.0L, based on opinions in this forum and others.

Mudski, are the extra studs and bolts for situations like :
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?20841-Siezed-nuts-on-dump-pipe
?

Will email you now Mudski, as might as well do the ECG blocking while I am in there too.

Cheers
Yeah mate. Best to have a few on hand just incase you snap one or two. If you have a shop close by and open when your doing it amd you know they have them, risk it.
Just remember to soak the crap out of the studs and nuts the night before with Inox.

Hodge
25th November 2015, 06:32 PM
Cannot stress and back up about the studs like Mudski said. When I was fitting up my exhaust to the 3l crd those studs were 98%of the work. Had one snap and the rest were just absolute pain. Even after soaking them in crc etc

Tapatalked from S6