PDA

View Full Version : Another boost gauge thread

Shazlic
8th November 2015, 03:40 PM
I have spent 4 hours on this 30 degree day here in SA in and under the car trying to find where I can put my boost line through the fire wall. It's an series3 GU with passenger airbag and ABS. Where have others put theres through the firewall? I've lost my patience for it on the day but will need to do it eventually

threedogs
8th November 2015, 04:06 PM
Big rubber grommet on the firewall in front of the driver. RHS

Woof
8th November 2015, 05:17 PM
As TD said, did mine last week, had to tie the cable to a thin bit of welding wire 1st

threedogs
8th November 2015, 05:40 PM
Grab a coat hanger and cut it , so you can straighten it, then tape what ever you want to
pass through the grommet to the wire, tape about 4' or 100mm.
Anyway thats how I do it others may have a different method?

Winnie
8th November 2015, 05:42 PM
Grab a coat hanger and cut it , so you can straighten it, then tape what ever you want to
pass through the grommet to the wire, tape about 4' or 100mm.
Anyway thats how I do it others may have a different method?
Yeah coat hangers are perfect for this job!

Hodge
8th November 2015, 06:14 PM
Yeah done mine the other day that way as well. It's a PITA due to the break booster, but doable...

Rossco
8th November 2015, 06:20 PM
Brush cutter cord & insulation tape is awesome i reckon.

LaughingBeagles
8th November 2015, 06:46 PM
Same grommet and same as 3D; coat hanger wire and tape FTW.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shazlic
9th November 2015, 12:27 PM
Managed to get the hose through at last! Thanks for the help guys, could not see that grommet in my frustrations yesterday. Adapter piece is in and fitted, hose has been run, just need to wire up the gauge and go for a drive. Just having a break because it is already above 30 here in SA today

threedogs
9th November 2015, 03:21 PM
double check its not crimped at any point too, great to see you have it sorted.
Interested in your boost figures now.
You know we'll need pics ha ha

Shazlic
3rd January 2016, 11:58 AM
Been a while since getting the time to jump back on here. Boost figures were around 15-20 at WOT, 7-15 normal driving, cruise anywhere between 5-15 depending on speed (12-15psi at 110km/h).

New problems have come up now that will be a costly and step learning curve (Hoping just a head gasket)

threedogs
3rd January 2016, 12:07 PM
Whats it doing ??

Shazlic
6th January 2016, 06:54 PM
Blowing white smoke, hard to start, pressurising the cooling system until it is blowing it out the overflow tank. No oil in coolant or coolant in oil though luckily so hoping a cheap (in comparison) head gasket replacement and not up for a whole new motor