PDA

View Full Version : TD42T turbo oil leak?

NotTortoise
6th November 2015, 05:30 PM
So...

I had a bit of a play on the sand on the weekend, all good fun, no issues...

Just hit the road and sorta noticed that my turbo was whistling at quite low revs, looked at my boost gauge and also saw that my boost was very sluggish. normally by 2750-ish I would normally be well on my way to a full 12 psi, but alas, I only hit about 7-8 psi before I backed off and limped home (1-1.5kms).

Popped the bonnet to find this.

I am due to drive out of town and back to Brisbane in 4 weeks time.

At first uneducated guess, I think that I have done a seal on my turbo. What do you guys think?

It would be awesome if I could limp back. Being in a remote community, I don't have time to order any parts I will need, I'm still waiting on my last Super Cheap order from the 3rd of October (a pack of filters) and posted on the 21st.

Any ideas on what I can check to see how bad it is, etc.?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Cam

jff45
6th November 2015, 05:37 PM
You're sure it's not blow by? Do you have a catch can?
Take a look in your intake piping before the compressor

mudski
6th November 2015, 05:49 PM
Going by your performance issues and the turbo struggling to reach boost i would think the turbo is the culprit???

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

NotTortoise
6th November 2015, 06:14 PM
I don't run a catch can. It doesn't seem like much of a leak except for the boost issue. I don't know anything about turbos, where would I find the compressor hose?

mudski
6th November 2015, 06:40 PM
Take the intake pipe off the turbo and have a look in there and also give the impeller a spin and see if its still spins nice or if it has any play.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

NotTortoise
6th November 2015, 08:24 PM
Thanks, I will try that in the morning.

Are the bolts around the turbo prone to snapping off? I seem to be under the impression that they are really hard to get off, don't know why or from where I got that impression though. I'm just a little paranoid being so far from a workshop.

Thanks for the help so far. :smiley_thumbs_up:

AB
6th November 2015, 08:28 PM
Thanks, I will try that in the morning. Are the bolts around the turbo prone to snapping off? I seem to be under the impression that they are really hard to get off, don't know why or from where I got that impression though. I'm just a little paranoid being so far from a workshop. Thanks for the help so far. :smiley_thumbs_up: I would think it's definitely prone from constant heating and cooling. Spray the hell out of it with crc tonight!!!

nissannewby
6th November 2015, 08:34 PM
Hows your air filter?

NotTortoise
6th November 2015, 08:57 PM
Air filter isn't bad, It is at 9,200km old. That's on it's way from SCA :1087:. Any thing in particular to look for in the filter? A few bugs and a smidge of dust is all I found.

NotTortoise
6th November 2015, 09:05 PM
I have changed computers and haven't downloaded the manuals again. Does anybody happen to have the diagram for which pipe is which on the turbo set up? What would happen if I did snap a bolt here? Any way to bush mechanic it up / bypass the turbo / anything to get back to Brissy?

I already need to replace a clutch, and maybe a turbo and maybe even take the intake / head off to clean up the mess I've made now, so if I can limp there I'll be golden

nissannewby
6th November 2015, 09:27 PM
Air filter isn't bad, It is at 9,200km old. That's on it's way from SCA :1087:. Any thing in particular to look for in the filter? A few bugs and a smidge of dust is all I found.

How much dust falls out if you give it a tap? If the air filter is blocked it wont be helping.

Are you experiencing any power loss or excessive fuel consumption?

NotTortoise
6th November 2015, 10:04 PM
Ok, long-ish story.

We bought the Patrol easter last year, all good. We took it straight up north and it was doing well until I left to come back south for a few months. When the car came back for Christmas I notices that the boost was wrong. It usually went straight to 12 psi and stayed there but when it was home it would go to 12 then drop down to 8 psi when the revs got higher.

I sent it to the local dyno mob and they told me that the fuel pump needed adjusting and it will be all good. It seemed fine and of we went. The fuel economy got worse but the boost was close to normal again, slower to full boost but it now stayed there again.

I didn't think it was relevant until now, and it may still not be, but I did start to notice some blue smoke when it started. Also that light oil film from the pictures started to occur behind the oil filler cap. I kept thinking that I wasn't doing the oil filler cap back up tightly enough, though it may have sprayed from the pipe over the engine as the oil mark keeps coming back and matches the rest of the leaking in the photos.

33's BFG KM2, 3" exhaust from the dump back, 3"lift, 14-16 l/100km mostly highway egts around 350-400 aat 100-105 km/h

AB
7th November 2015, 08:10 PM
How did you go today mate?

NotTortoise
7th November 2015, 08:44 PM
Ran out of time today, had a quick job turn into a long job show up at short notice. I have just found the USB where my manual was and am about to start looking for a bit of a map. I have no idea about the turbo part of the engine.

Thanks for the interest,

Cam

NotTortoise
8th November 2015, 02:59 PM
So.....

jff45, you were dead on.

I had a really good look at the oil stains, thank the patrol gods that I found the same leak on after the breather into the intake preturbo. I took if for a cautious little burn and my turbo gradually started to go back to normal. I sort of think that it must have been gunked up, that and maybe my mechanical sympathy kicked in and I was too gentle to really try to push the boost right up.

I'm not 100% if that is what happened, but, everything seems back to normal.

Time to order a catch can.

All told, maybe I'm just a drama queen :oops:

Thanks for all your help on this thread people, you guys rock :Yahoo!: