PDA

View Full Version : Where to stay in Tassie

jay see
5th November 2015, 10:28 PM
The wife is looking at going to Tassie in early January.
Going over by boat and taking the Patrol along.
Question is what is the best way to stay and travel around. Looking at staying for a week. What have others done.

blocko05
6th November 2015, 09:47 AM
You could go around to St Helen's and have a look and while you are there you could go to Bay of Fires just 20 min up the road from St Helen's but at that time of year you wont get a camp site there. You can drive down the east coast to Swansea, Bicheno and Orferd then into Hobart and Port Aurthur. Or you can stay at the top of TAS and go from Bridport to Stanly and see all the attractions in between. If you want some serious 4WDing then go down the west coast. With just a week you wont see that much as there is loads to see down here. It just depends what you are looking for.

jay see
6th November 2015, 11:01 AM
Cheers mate.
No 4wding, well not planning on any. More of a sightseeing trip. Have never been there before so more of a tourist route. Thanks for the suggestion, will keep it in mind.

jack
6th November 2015, 11:13 AM
Hi jay see,

Have a look at my post from a couple of years ago, might give you some more ideas.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?18127-Recommendations-For-Tassie-Must-See-amp-Accommodation&highlight=Tasmania

4bye4
6th November 2015, 12:01 PM
Jay see, I notice you have another post about fine dining. If you want the best steak in Australia, when in Hobart go to The Ball and Chain Grill in Salamanca markets. We have managed to get to Tas twice and always make it our first meal stop.

rusty_nail
6th November 2015, 12:23 PM
where is lucas when you need him! hell dribble all over this thread!

mate where are you thinking of going? your arriving at launceston hey, are you heading south or west or even east? ive been west of lonnie and down as far as the tahune/derwent river, south of hobart, absolutely spectacular! let me know where youre going bud and il throw some suggestions your way!

blocko05
6th November 2015, 12:30 PM
Jay see, I notice you have another post about fine dining. If you want the best steak in Australia, when in Hobart go to The Ball and Chain Grill in Salamanca markets. We have managed to get to Tas twice and always make it our first meal stop.

as a local i have to agree. My wife and family have been going to the ball and chain for 2 decades. they also own the Jail House in Launceston as well. same set up as the Ball and Chain

pearcey
6th November 2015, 12:59 PM
A must see is The Wall In The Wilderness at Derwent Bridge. This place should be on everybody's list.
We have been back and forward to Tas for over 40years as the outlaws live in Hobart, Last time we were down there we spent 3 months and covered around 8000ks,with about 3000 on dirt and tracks and only back tracking once of about 120ks. We still have only seen about halve of whats on offer over there.

BigRAWesty
6th November 2015, 02:02 PM
Best place to stay in tassie. .....
MELBOURNE bahahaha..

Jk.. I've only explored the north east corner threw work and we stayed in Georgetown..
Beautiful place with a nice habour and we were plucking oysters off the rocks..
I feel sorry for Timmy who is like a rake and it was mid winter but he insisted..
Was awesome..
We ventured into Launceston and was a great drive threw the hills..

threedogs
6th November 2015, 02:07 PM
Tassie beautiful part of the world thats for sure.
Its got the lot imo, except warm weather lol

jay see
6th November 2015, 07:51 PM
Looking at going in the first week of January for 8 nights $2200 for a family of 4 + 1 Patrol. That's not too much is it?

pearcey
6th November 2015, 08:54 PM
Looking at going in the first week of January for 8 nights $2200 for a family of 4 + 1 Patrol. That's not too much is it?
Sounds reasonable as it`s holiday time. remove the cost of the truck and your daily rate would be comparable to the big island.

Rossco
6th November 2015, 08:55 PM
We just packed the camping gear in the old GQ and headed over. Even in easter was fine to find camping spots most free. Just got hema maps which was handy for points of interest and camp spots. Depends what your ur up for we headed to the east cost, wine glass Bay, Hobart & Bruny Island is awesome. Headed through derwent bridge to Queenstown which is an awesome drive. West coast is pretty cool a lot more remote, definatly want to do a dedicated 4by trip there one day soon. . .

mudski
6th November 2015, 09:15 PM
We just packed the camping gear in the old GQ and headed over. Even in easter was fine to find camping spots most free. Just got hema maps which was handy for points of interest and camp spots. Depends what your ur up for we headed to the east cost, wine glass Bay, Hobart & Bruny Island is awesome. Headed through derwent bridge to Queenstown which is an awesome drive. West coast is pretty cool a lot more remote, definatly want to do a dedicated 4by trip there one day soon. . .
Hmm i think this should be our next location for a forum meet. A week on the west coast.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

jay see
6th November 2015, 10:11 PM

Would be nice, but I'm just not set up correctly for touring yet.

jack
6th November 2015, 10:56 PM
GU Camper is over there for an extended stay at the moment. If you bump into him don't try to follow him on any tracks he suggests. :biggrin:

jay see
6th November 2015, 11:49 PM
GU Camper is over there for an extended stay at the moment. If you bump into him don't try to follow him on any tracks he suggests. :biggrin:

I'm not normally one to not do a track, especially if I've seen someone do it.
However on this trip I think I'll be sticking to the very easy stuff.

Thanks for the heads up tho.;)

taslucas
7th November 2015, 09:51 AM
GU Camper is over there for an extended stay at the moment. If you bump into him don't try to follow him on any tracks he suggests. [emoji3]
Bahahaha he'd probably more than likely be following one of us amateurs!

tappin from tassie

taslucas
7th November 2015, 09:59 AM
The wife is looking at going to Tassie in early January.
Going over by boat and taking the Patrol along.
Question is what is the best way to stay and travel around. Looking at staying for a week. What have others done.
In a week you can have a quick look at everything to get a taste, but as others will say (like pearcy and gu camper) you can spend months and still have more to see. Usually you'd think a circuit is the most logical way to go but as nothing is too far from anything I'd suggest just getting lost and going wherever you feel like on a whim.

What type of activities are you guys into? Short walks to lookouts, fine dining, history....?

tappin from tassie

GU CAMPER
7th November 2015, 12:10 PM

Hey Jack
I haven't been bogged this trip yet
Just been doing some easy tracks so far

Hoping to go check out montezuma falls track, ring river track and climies track over next few days so we will see after that? though it's very dry over here at the moment

As for other places in tassie to see

Strahan.
Cruise and west coast wilderness railway
Ocean Beach. Easy drive

Arthur River

The Wall at Derwent Bridge

Bruny Island

jay see
7th November 2015, 08:45 PM
Thanks guys. I gave this thread and Apollofish one to my Mrs and she came up with this.
Arrive Devonport morning.
Drive to Stanley, Strahan, Hobart, Launceston and then back to Devonport.

A mix of 1-3 nights at each, with stops along the way.
All booked just need to wait for the time now.
Again thanks all.:thumbup:

jay see
7th November 2015, 08:48 PM
In a week you can have a quick look at everything to get a taste, but as others will say (like pearcy and gu camper) you can spend months and still have more to see. Usually you'd think a circuit is the most logical way to go but as nothing is too far from anything I'd suggest just getting lost and going wherever you feel like on a whim.

What type of activities are you guys into? Short walks to lookouts, fine dining, history....?

tappin from tassie

That's the plan. One week to have a look around and then go back some other time.

Yeah, short walks and history.

jack
7th November 2015, 09:15 PM
Hey Jack
I haven't been bogged this trip yet
Just been doing some easy tracks so far

Haha didn't expect you to get bogged Andy, just worried for anyone who was game to follow you.

taslucas
7th November 2015, 09:57 PM
Definitely go on the chairlift at Stanley (ask rusty_nail, he was there recently), short walk into Montezuma falls near Rosebery, lash out on the heritage cruise out of Strahan, the Wall in the wilderness near Derwent Bridge... To name a few.
All the little towns on the west coast have quite interesting mining history.

tappin from tassie

jay see
10th November 2015, 08:52 PM
Just having a look around at some of the tracks and came across this.
The beach drive from Greenes Creek to Sandy Cape (12 km) is rated hard 4WD standard. Travel by convoy is compulsory due to the frequent occurrence of quicksand and potential need for rapid retrieval.

The Mrs has already said no, no way.

GU CAMPER
10th November 2015, 09:11 PM
Yeah the sandy cape is best done with a few vehicles I'm currently on the west coast. Hoping to do it and the Balfour track shortly

Montezuma falls is an easy track

taslucas
11th November 2015, 12:00 PM
Just having a look around at some of the tracks and came across this.
The beach drive from Greenes Creek to Sandy Cape (12 km) is rated hard 4WD standard. Travel by convoy is compulsory due to the frequent occurrence of quicksand and potential need for rapid retrieval.

The Mrs has already said no, no way.
Yeah, do not attempt sandy cape beach by yourself or with anything less than very experienced people. Vehicles lost there every year and plenty of lives lost there too. It can go from paradise to hell in 5 minutes.

As gu camper said, try Montezuma falls track. Very nice water fall and a bit of history about the place.

tappin from tassie

jay see
11th November 2015, 12:14 PM
Not looking for anything hard at all.

Would like to experience beach driving tho.

I've been told that you need permits to drive in some places. Is this correct?

taslucas
11th November 2015, 12:30 PM
You'll need a parks pass for the national parks;
http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/?base=914

But there are a few specific 4wd tracks that need separate passes. I'm not up to date on these but hopefully gu camper will be able to fill you in as he's doing the west coast as we speak

tappin from tassie

jay see
11th November 2015, 12:33 PM
Thanks.

I give them a call before we go. Tasmanian government.

taslucas
11th November 2015, 12:33 PM
This book is a must have:
(not sure if this is the best place to buy it but it was the first link I found)
http://cartographics.com.au/4wd-tracks-in-tasmania-chris-boden.html

tappin from tassie

rusty_nail
11th November 2015, 12:49 PM
Definitely go on the chairlift at Stanley (ask rusty_nail, he was there recently), short walk into Montezuma falls near Rosebery, lash out on the heritage cruise out of Strahan, the Wall in the wilderness near Derwent Bridge... To name a few.
All the little towns on the west coast have quite interesting mining history.

tappin from tassie

i sure did, was pretty beautiful, the caravan park wasnt too expensive either. great views from the top, this one is on the chair on the way up

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=62635&d=1447208395

taslucas
11th November 2015, 03:09 PM
Some ugly mugs blocking the view!

tappin from tassie

GU CAMPER
11th November 2015, 08:34 PM
You'll need a parks pass for the national parks; http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/?base=914 But there are a few specific 4wd tracks that need separate passes. I'm not up to date on these but hopefully gu camper will be able to fill you in as he's doing the west coast as we speak tappin from tassie

You need a permit for

Mt Mcall Track

Saw back Range track

Mt Wellington some tracks

Plus a few others

Beach driving is possible without a permit at
Ocean Beach Strahan
St Albans Bay to Bellingham. Bridport area

As Lucas said. Chris Bodens book is a must have. It shows lots of easy tracks as well as some medium and hard tracks. Lots of info about history in areas

jay see
3rd January 2016, 07:47 PM
500+ kms today.
Devonport to Arthur's river, then looped back to Stanley. Queenstown and surrounding areas tomorrow.
Pics when I can.

taslucas
3rd January 2016, 08:02 PM
Hope you're enjoying it mate. This north west corner is my favourite but I might just be bias lol.

tappin from tassie

jay see
4th January 2016, 12:37 PM
Absolutely loving it.

jay see
4th January 2016, 02:02 PM
Waratah falls.

taslucas
4th January 2016, 09:14 PM
Booming metropolis of waratah!

tappin from tassie

taslucas
4th January 2016, 09:15 PM
Where are you off to tomorrow?

tappin from tassie

jay see
4th January 2016, 10:23 PM
Where are you off to tomorrow?

tappin from tassie

Got into Queenstown about 6,pm form dip falls and reece dam. Wow the last 10 ks or so, all up hill about 80 km/h in 2 nd revving at about 3000 rpm and the temp was perfect and to the views. We have to keep reminding ourselves that were in Queenstown Tassie and not Queenstown NZ, we sent a week there on our honeymoon.

Sorry your original question.
Tomorrow off the Strahan and discovering Queenstown. Then Hobart.

tappin from tassie. Lol.

taslucas
5th January 2016, 10:07 AM
Make sure you look at the "wall in the wilderness" or whatever its called. It's a huge Huon Pine carving near Derwent Bridge town. I'm yet to see it myself but everyone says it's great

tappin from tassie

taslucas
5th January 2016, 10:08 AM
Queenstown is a really booming city isn't it! Lol

tappin from tassie

taslucas
5th January 2016, 10:09 AM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/01/50.jpg

tappin from tassie

happygu
5th January 2016, 02:36 PM
Strahan is amazing & so picturesque .... I loved it down there

taslucas
5th January 2016, 03:42 PM
Yeah its very nice. We recently had the work dinner there.

tappin from tassie

jay see
5th January 2016, 10:07 PM
Make sure you look at the "wall in the wilderness" or whatever its called. It's a huge Huon Pine carving near Derwent Bridge town. I'm yet to see it myself but everyone says it's great

tappin from tassie
Going there tomorrow and will be stopping along the way to Hobart.

Queenstown is a really booming city isn't it! Lol

tappin from tassie
Hah, just make sure you get to the shops before they close, early, very early.

Strahan is amazing & so picturesque .... I loved it down there
Yeah. Must admit it's amazing just about everywhere you look.

jay see
6th January 2016, 12:05 AM
Some pics.
Leaving Melbourne.
From the chairlift.
The nut.
Edge of the world.
Around Queenstown.

Heaps more on the camera, but for now enjoy.

Edit. Don't now why but some pics are out of order???

jay see
6th January 2016, 12:11 AM
Some pics.
Leaving Melbourne.
From the chairlift.
The nut.
Edge of the world.
Around Queenstown.

Heaps more on the camera, but for now enjoy.

jay see
6th January 2016, 12:25 AM
Ahhhh, its all turn to sh!t.
Double post, photos out of order.:banghead:.
Can only do so much on the phone.

taslucas
6th January 2016, 07:08 AM
Haha all good mate, the order doesn't matter. Great footy oval in Queenstown hey!?

tappin from tassie

jay see
6th January 2016, 11:24 PM
Drove across to Hobart today on petrol as there is no LPG in Queenstown. Car has been travelling along nicely the whole trip, even getting a good workout on the hills, there everywhere. Would have to say the first couple of hours leaving Queenstown has been the best bit of scenery and driving so far.
taslucus you have got to get to The Wall its amazing.

Saw this guy along our travels
Hobart from the Mt Nelson lookout.

Tomorrow off to Port Arthur.

jay see
7th January 2016, 11:29 PM
Hobart.

Went on a cruise tonight and saw this guy before we boarded, lucky it wasn't a 3 hour cruise.

Top of MT Wellington. Bloody freezing.

Port Arthur

Have been so impressed we purchased a 2 year pass for an additional $20 for the family. So now we are definitely coming back. Wife wants to spend more time on the east coast next time.

GU CAMPER
8th January 2016, 09:00 AM
Yeah the East Coast is amazing. We've just got into Hobart yesterday after spending a while on the east coast. Absolutely love it

Have you been to Freycinet Peninsula and Bay of Fires yet

taslucas
8th January 2016, 09:30 AM
East coast, schmeast Coast.... West is best! Haha

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

taslucas
8th January 2016, 04:00 PM
Just rolled into Stanley this afternoon.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/01/101.jpg

Some glenfiddich under the nut. (look growler, no ice!) http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/01/102.jpg

Essentials....
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/01/103.jpg

jay see
8th January 2016, 10:51 PM
Yeah the East Coast is amazing. We've just got into Hobart yesterday after spending a while on the east coast. Absolutely love it

Have you been to Freycinet Peninsula and Bay of Fires yet

Nah, never made it that far east. We're coming back to do that and spend more time at port Arthur.

GU CAMPER, you gotta drive up to MT Wellington, but rug up. Just on dust is pretty spectacular.

We left Hobart this morning and took most of the day traveling to Launceston stopping at Richmond to see the old Hobart model Town.

And the jail.

Both highly recommend.

Cruised up to Ross and to Longford to see some of the first settlers graves.

Beaconsfield Mines and mole creek zoo tomorrow, then to Devonport to get the boat on Sunday morning.

jay see
8th January 2016, 11:42 PM
East coast, schmeast Coast.... West is best! Haha

If the East is all nice pretty beaches, give me the west anytime.

GU CAMPER
9th January 2016, 01:50 PM
Yeah the west is much better than the east. But the east is still nice

Went up to my Wellington summit last night. Was bloody freezing as I only had a t shirt and shorts on and it was bloody windy. Didn't get up there until 9pm so will be going back up there soon. Also going to get a permit and do some tracks around the Wellington ranges like East West Trail, Montrose Trail, Jeffrey's track etc

Beaconsfield Gold mine is well worth it

jay see
9th January 2016, 04:24 PM
Unfortunately we didn't get to Beaconsfield. We are definitely coming back (brought a 2 year pass for port Arthur) so instead of rushing it, well leave it for next time.
The wild life park at mole creek was good.

Kicking back in Devonport now, might go for a walk to the beach later once it cools down a bit.

Got a heap of photos on the camera, will go through them and post some of the better ones.

My son has already said that when we come back I'll de able to drive on my Ls, great being kicked out of my own seat.

jay see
10th January 2016, 11:03 PM
Well we all are very impressed with Tasmania and will be back to finish off what we started.
Approx 1600km in 8 days.
Thanks to all for your input on things to do and where to go.

blocko05
11th January 2016, 06:39 AM
So glad you are enjoying Tassie, there is a lot to see and you dont have to drive thousands of kays to get there. Love the pics. Thanks for sharing.

jay see
11th January 2016, 09:29 AM
No problem.
I hope I have given someone an idea of traveling to Tassie. It's one of those places that you have to do.

jay see
27th December 2017, 11:05 PM
Well we're here again.

Going to ST Helens tomorrow for 2 night, with some stops along the way.

Wanting to do a distillery tour, any recommendations on which one.

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk

Chimo
28th December 2017, 07:28 AM
I think I recall you wanted to spend more time around Port Arthur.

If so then consider spending a few nights here with Jonathan and Jill http://www.harpersonthebeach.com/ Tell them who suggested you check them out and enjoy the food too
If you get a chance check out the Seafarer too.

Enjoy the East coast and if you get a chance slip up to Campbell town via St Marys from the coast.

Cheers
Chimo

katwoman
28th December 2017, 07:47 AM
Dont bother with the cascade brewery. Tours were expensive and not many of them. Didn't spend a lot of time in East coast but bay of fires was nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jay see
29th December 2017, 11:02 AM
I think I recall you wanted to spend more time around Port Arthur.

If so then consider spending a few nights here with Jonathan and Jill http://www.harpersonthebeach.com/ Tell them who suggested you check them out and enjoy the food too
If you get a chance check out the Seafarer too.

Enjoy the East coast and if you get a chance slip up to Campbell town via St Marys from the coast.

Cheers
ChimoPort Arthur is only going to be a one night to visit the two islands within the historic site and to do the night tour.
Dont bother with the cascade brewery. Tours were expensive and not many of them. Didn't spend a lot of time in East coast but bay of fires was nice.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThanks Kat.

Good I don't like cascade. Thinking James boag or a smaller less known one and a whiskey tour. Any locals can recommend one.

We're going to bay of fires today and went to George Town and the beaconfild site yesterday. Got a short video of a working stamping machine, will have to work out how to get it on here.

Not many pics but here is some.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/12/159.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/12/160.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/12/161.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/12/162.jpg

katwoman
29th December 2017, 06:24 PM
Has the hole been fixed at Beaconsfield mine ?

jay see
29th December 2017, 08:34 PM
Has the hole been fixed at Beaconsfield mine ?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIt's works in progress. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/12/166.jpg

sooty_10
29th December 2017, 11:00 PM
It's works in progress. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/12/166.jpg

Sent from my A1601 using TapatalkI went there a few months ago and they were pouring in gravel to fill it. I really enjoyed the museum there and cpuld have spent longer. I loved the interactive displays, i was such a big kid.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

jay see
29th December 2017, 11:33 PM
I went there a few months ago and they were pouring in gravel to fill it. I really enjoyed the museum there and cpuld have spent longer. I loved the interactive displays, i was such a big kid.

Sent from my SM-G925I using TapatalkYeah, it was good.

Got my kids involved too.

jay see
1st January 2018, 07:26 PM
The last couple of days.

Bay of fires.

Will definitely come back a do a boat cruise without the kids. Couldn't justify a $400 ticket and see the long faces.http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/01/1.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/01/2.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/01/3.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/01/4.jpg

AB
1st January 2018, 07:36 PM
We should organise a forum trip to Tassie one of these years!

What a trip that would be!

All through the west coast as much as we can.

jay see
1st January 2018, 07:37 PM
Stop over at Swansea for lunch and a quick look around wineglass bay. Another one to return to.

Onto Hobart. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/01/5.jpg

Cuppa
1st January 2018, 08:12 PM

Now that'd be a ripper!
As our esteemed forum leader we'd have to let you take the lead along the Balfour Track!

jay see
1st January 2018, 08:33 PM
We decided well the Mrs did, to stay somewhere a little nice and close to the city. We are literally 500m away from the dock.

Museum of new art (Mona) is another thing that we enjoyed, but not really for the kids. To make it up to them we organize a 1/2 hour jet ski ride. That made them happy again.

Fireworks at Mount Wellington at 9.30 and then at the dock at midnight.

Oops firework photos are on my sons phone, everyone knows what they look like. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/01/6.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/01/7.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/01/8.jpg

jay see
1st January 2018, 08:35 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkYes please.

Next time I'm here I wanna see the tracks..

jay see
1st January 2018, 11:07 PM
as a local i have to agree. My wife and family have been going to the ball and chain for 2 decades. they also own the Jail House in Launceston as well. same set up as the Ball and ChainFunny enough I was going back through the last visit here and found this one.

We are staying at Salamanca inn around the corner from The ball and chain. We went there on our first night.
Bloody hell it was good and not badly priced.

katwoman
2nd January 2018, 02:52 PM
Now that'd be a ripper!
As our esteemed forum leader we'd have to let you take the lead along the Balfour Track!

We went to Balfour in Feb last year, but after walking some of it and picked up No plates, side steps and bash plates ( amongst other things) decided against it. [emoji23]

Cuppa
2nd January 2018, 05:49 PM
We went to Balfour in Feb last year, but after walking some of it and picked up No plates, side steps and bash plates ( amongst other things) decided against it. [emoji23]

We only did the 3 or 4 kms east of the 'Western Explorer' road, into Balfour itself. No way were we going to attempt the main Balfour track between Temma & the Western Explorer. 18kms of in/out of waterholes with water up over the windscreen .... not my idea of fun!

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/01/9.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/01/10.jpg

jay see
2nd January 2018, 11:07 PM
Port Arthur Isle of the dead and point puer boys prison. Both well worth it.

All but the 1st are from the boys prison. 2nd one is a water holding area built from stone, which still holds when it rains enough. No standing building just the foundations and stone walls. 4th is thought to be an oven.

Last is at dusk on the start of the Ghost tour with a little rain.

Tomorrow we'll send most of the day cruising back up to Devonport.http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/01/11.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180102/ed059b74321c3fbb544ad6f87d5888f9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180102/9952135be0eda8a112ff9353d131d155.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/01/12.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/01/13.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180102/7970e651c2bf4a0ae766b5c17dfee5c7.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180102/1e2b4519e62a2fe282be0539a23cf37d.jpg

Chimo
3rd January 2018, 11:13 AM
At PA you were some 6 km from some really good food maybe some boat fishing / crayfishing and beach front accommodation, sorry you ran out of time.

Chimo

jay see
3rd January 2018, 11:50 AM
At PA you were some 6 km from some really good food maybe some boat fishing / crayfishing and beach front accommodation, sorry you ran out of time.

ChimoNot worry we'll be back again, can't get enough of this place.

jay see
3rd January 2018, 11:09 PM
We pulled into Devonport about 6 after a couple of stops at Pirates Bay, some where for lunch (some small town) and a quick look around the gorge at Launceston.

Need this brings us to the the end of another memorable trip and once again Tassie has left us wanting more. Yes we will be back, don't know when, but I think we will choose somewhere and stay in that area for 2 weeks.

So many good places along the North and down the East. Even Hobart itself, not busy like Melbourne and some nice little beaches only 1/2 hour out.

This trip was a total of 1400 km and the wifes x5 returned an average of 12.9 l/100, not too bad considering it's a small (4.4l) v8 and I tend to push it a little.

Thanks for reading.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/01/16.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/01/17.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/01/18.jpg

Chimo
4th January 2018, 07:26 AM
Enjoyed seeing bits of the place again via your pics. Thanks for sharing.

I spent a couple of years living there some time back and enjoyed much of the place.

No doubt staying at a base will allow you see greater depth and maybe spend some time with some of the locals.

Have fun.

Chimo