PDA

View Full Version : Timing belt - Should I replace it?

dom14
4th November 2015, 10:36 PM
Hey Guys,
Below video was taken today. It's my RB30 Patrol timing belt.
Timing belt appears to be loose, but I'm not sure whether it's ok or not.
I turned the crank around & had a good close look at both sides of the timing belt.
I couldn't see any cracks, damage, etc etc.

Is this timing belt too loose??!!
Do I have to replace it?
Or can I adjust the tensioner and leave it alone for another time?

Timing belt is cheap, So, replacing belt won't be a problem, but the whole kit is lot dearer(tensioner pulley & oil seals).
So, I prefer to leave it alone unless it's bad the way it is.

Thanx in advance for any help, advice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRTvZgLTI-k&feature=youtu.be

P.S.
I'm also planning to properly seal the timing belt cover, so no dirt can get inside the timing belt case.

4bye4
4th November 2015, 10:48 PM
Hi Dom - mate I would replace it but probably not based on your video
To me it looks a bit loose I would really have to feel it myself not just see the video, but if I had the cover off and was going to reseal it, I would do the whole kit while I was there rather than try and tension an old belt. Could be adjusting the belt tension may just cause the belt to give up. I would do everything new, put the cover back on and have a confident feeling when I drove it.

dom14
4th November 2015, 10:57 PM
Hi Dom - mate I would replace it but probably not based on your video
To me it looks a bit loose I would really have to feel it myself not just see the video, but if I had the cover off and was going to reseal it, I would do the whole kit while I was there rather than try and tension an old belt. Could be adjusting the belt tension may just cause the belt to give up. I would do everything new, put the cover back on and have a confident feeling when I drove it.

Hi mate,
Yes, I wouldn't argue with that. It's that, sometime I tend to follow the moto of "don't fix it, if it ain't broken".
Not sure whether that moto applies to a timing belt and a tensioner pulley that i have no idea of the history/km's etc.
Yeah, I think it makes sense to change the timing belt for sure, and I most certainly will change it.
The whole kit is about four times the price of the belt, and I'm not too sure whether it's necessary.

Timing belt is definitely loose comparing to the last time I opened it up to do the head.
I can easily slide the timing belt off the cam shaft pulley with my fingers with just a bit of force.
I don't think that's good.
Any thoughts?!

BTW, by "properly sealing", I didn't mean to seal it in a permanent way.
RB30 timing cover is a bad design and tend to attract a bit of dust into it over many years.
I'm hoping to find the places where that happen and use some sort of temporary sealing method.

4bye4
4th November 2015, 11:11 PM
Hi Dom - if it's different to last time you opened it up, either its stretched or the tensioner is failing. Either way do the whole thing then you don't have to go in there again for years or many kms. To me its a nobrainer,
why put a new house on old foundations and
what damage will it do if it does fail.

dom14
4th November 2015, 11:26 PM
Yeah, mate. It makes sense. I opened it up for a reason, and that is not just to see whether the timing belt need replacement, but to replace it for sure.
I thought it might worth it to save the tensioner and the seals for another time, but obviously not a good idea, if I follow you correctly.
Crank seal & the cam shaft seal is in good nick(no leaks), but the kit comes with the seals, so I might change them as well anyway.

BTW, is it a bad idea to make the timing case completely air tight? Does it need bit of venting?
If it need a vent hole, that means dust attraction continues. Then I might have to devise a some sort of little dust filter onto the timing cover.
Bit a of PITA, but perfectly doable.