PDA

View Full Version : Water in fuel detector

SKID
3rd November 2015, 07:08 AM
Re the Water in fuel detector.I have a 2000 GU which was originally a zd30 but had a TD42 transplant. Although there are wires attached to the fuel filter at the bottom, I've yet to see the water in fuel light appear on the dash which the owners manual says should briefly light up, Is there a way I can test to see if it is actually working, if so how?

threedogs
3rd November 2015, 10:38 AM
Would you sort of short it to activate the light, as in complete the curcuit
Its only a switch isnt it. short is the wrong word but some how touch both wires together

Hodge
3rd November 2015, 10:40 AM
Would you sort of short it to activate the light, as in complete the curcuit
Yeah that's how the water sensors works in principle doesn't it. Water is conductive and if two points in the sensor are shorted , light should illuminate.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Dr Gary
5th November 2015, 03:24 PM
The water sensor is a float switch--it will float on water but not on fuel. To test you need to remove the sensor from the bottom of the filter (easier if you take the filter off and work on the bench)
An ohm (continuity) meter should show continuity when the float is moved up, and no continuity (open circuit) when the float is moved down.
I would NOT be shorting anything, just see that it is "off" normally, and "on" if you move the float up.

the evil twin
5th November 2015, 04:36 PM
The factory manual shows it as a normally open switch and short to earth when closed.

If you wish to test the light circuit by earthing the sensor and are worried use another bulb in series but I wouldn't bother.
Reason being if it is not illuminating at 'Ign On' then it can't be the sensor and is most likely a bulb or dash cluster fault

SKID
6th November 2015, 11:50 AM
Just tried shorting the wires as you did but the engine light came on not the water in fuel light, so they must have stuffed something up when they did the conversion, but at least I have some form of light on the dash coming on, engine light is better than nothing.....

Yendor
6th November 2015, 12:54 PM
Just tried shorting the wires as you did but the engine light came on not the water in fuel light, so they must have stuffed something up when they did the conversion, but at least I have some form of light on the dash coming on, engine light is better than nothing.....
That's correct. The engine warning light is also used for water in fuel.

Rock Trol
6th November 2015, 06:10 PM
Later model patrols get a separate water in fuel light. I think they started with the GUIV which had the new style dash. Your model uses the check engine light for fault codes and water in fuel.

the evil twin
6th November 2015, 06:18 PM
Later model patrols get a separate water in fuel light. I think they started with the GUIV which had the new style dash. Your model uses the check engine light for fault codes and water in fuel.

Mine is a '99 and has the seperate fuel filter warning light but, in fairness, it is a Ute.
The light comes on with the ignition test then goes out.
It can't ever come back on as I have the Donaldson Fuel system on mine IE no warning sensor just a wacking great sight bowl.

Yendor
6th November 2015, 06:35 PM
Mine is a '99 and has the seperate fuel filter warning light but, in fairness, it is a Ute.
The light comes on with the ignition test then goes out.
It can't ever come back on as I have the Donaldson Fuel system on mine IE no warning sensor just a wacking great sight bowl.

99 model but what was the original engine? Being a ute I'm guessing a TD42??

The OPs was a ZD30 this used the same warning light for both.

Rumcajs
6th November 2015, 07:04 PM
Its the same light, just decals are different as you've guessed it already according to engine model used.....OP had engine conversion done on his truck from ZD30 to TD42. If he changed the decal plate to TD42 as well there will be no confusion.

Abbreviations:

EG ==> ECM (ZD30) models MIL/Check Engine

TD ==> TD42 fuel filter

SN ==> TB45 immobilizer

On CrD ZD30 (2007 onwards) models there is separate MIL and stand alone fuel filter light.

B/R

the evil twin
6th November 2015, 07:14 PM
Fair enough, that makes sense...

So the bottom line is the OP is using a TD42 manual for a ZD30 dash and won't see a specific Water in Fuel Filter Warning Light because he hasn't got one and has a MIL instead?

Yendor
6th November 2015, 07:27 PM
Just to correct the couple of points, its the same light, just decals are different as you've guessed it already according to engine model used.....OP had engine conversion done on his truck from ZD30 to TD42. If he changed the decal plate to TD42 as well there will be no confusion.

Abbreviations:

EG ==> ECM (ZD30) models MIL/Check Engine

TD ==> TD42 fuel filter

SN ==> TB45 immobilizer

Well, that's splitting hairs....... What in my post needed correcting?. The OP has already stated (numerous times on multiply forums) that it was a ZD30 now a TD42 and that "Just tried shorting the wires as you did but the engine light came on not the water in fuel light".

Rumcajs
6th November 2015, 07:38 PM
Well, that's splitting hairs....... What in my post needed correcting?. The OP has already stated (numerous times on multiply forums) that it was a ZD30 now a TD42 and that "Just tried shorting the wires as you did but the engine light came on not the water in fuel light".

Relax, its just a technicality, no need to split hairs, its the same light on every dash up to 2007 just the decal is changed to suit. Because ECM diesel/petrol models oughta have MIL/Engine check lamp too Nissan just hooked up to that light and changed the decal to suit
The engine warning light is also used for water in fuel. on ZD30 and TD42Ti only and if it irks you that much I will change the sentence in my post.

Fair enough, that makes sense...

So the bottom line is the OP is using a TD42 manual for a ZD30 dash and won't see a specific Water in Fuel Filter Warning Light because he hasn't got one and has a MIL instead?

Correct.

threedogs
6th November 2015, 07:57 PM
By decal i suppose you mean icon ??
is this on all zd to 4.2 conversions ??

Yendor
6th November 2015, 08:00 PM
Relax, its just a technicality, no need to split hairs, its the same light on every dash up to 2007 just the decal is changed to suit. Because ECM diesel/petrol models oughta have MIL/Engine check lamp too Nissan just hooked up to that light and changed the decal to suit on ZD30 and TD42Ti only and if it irks you that much I will change the sentence in my post.

Correct.

So your just trying to big note yourself then. As you are fully aware the OPs vehicle is built way before 2007.

For future reference don't quote me in your childish posts.

Rumcajs
6th November 2015, 08:38 PM
By decal i suppose you mean icon ??
is this on all zd to 4.2 conversions ??

Sticker/sign/symbol/decal/icon call it what you want. And It has nothing to do with ZD30 to TD42 conversion. Nissan just used the same light circuit connected and marked it as suited for different models.

Cheers