PDA

View Full Version : Glow plug timer\light

SKID
1st November 2015, 08:16 PM
My 2000 GU was originally a zd30, but previous owners converted it to a TD42 using a silver top out of a 1990 GQ, in the morning the glow plug light on the dash will light up for 5 seconds +, but after it has warmed up when I turn the ignition on the light on the dash will only stay on for a second if I'm lucky. Do not have any problems starting it, but previous owners said not to worry about the light and just leave ignition on until I get my seat belt on and it should be right to crank.
can anyone give me any idea or direction in what I can do to resolve the light on the dash performing correctly..
Thanks in advance

Col.T
15th November 2015, 06:34 PM
G'day Skiddy,
not getting far are you?
Don't reckon I can help you 'cause apart from general ignorance, I'm not sure what g/plug arrangement applies to a TD42 even though I had one for about 15 years. It worked damn near exactly as you describe and never gave any trouble. Found on a really cold morning though it helped to turn the ignition on/off/on after the light went out twice for a clean start. Bit unclear sorry but I mean run the glow plugs twice.
Top right of main screen, at 'search', whack in 'glow plugs' and settle down to hours of reading. Some time ago I made a goose of myself by saying if the dash light is on, the plugs are glowing. Turns out that's not the case, they keep heating and one of the members has fitted a circuit and dash light to see exactly when they stop glowing so as to possibly save 'over glowing' and causing damage. I gather that that could be a problem with the 3.0l so called 'grenades'.
Whole thing's too complex for an old man so I've just gone with Mr.Nissan's flow. Been O.K. so far with the 4.2 and an 08 3.0CRD.
Good luck mate,
Col.

mudski
15th November 2015, 07:27 PM
do you know if the wiring loom was converted to use the zd30 ecu or is there a glow plug timer and relay tucked in the rear rhs of the engine bay?
I had my loom "cut and shut" by Killa kustom Kables. They wire it so it uses the factory ecu from the ZD30. And it works exactly the same as you describe it. Is senses engine temp and switches the glow plug light as you describe.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk