PDA

View Full Version : Rocker Shaft, Tappet clearance

tuckertrucker
1st November 2015, 07:02 PM
So in the next week I'm hoping to check my tappet clearance and I also want to check the condition of my rockershaft as Im getting a bit of knocking as I come areound the 230k mark. So my question is was is the formula / crank order to set the tappets in the correct position to measure their clearance? I've got and aftermarket turbo and wondering will I need to compensate for that when adjusting the clearances?

and as for the rocker shaft, what should I be looking for in terms of wear and tear?

cheers, Dylan.

BTW, its a '92 GQ Silvertop TD42

jff45
1st November 2015, 07:16 PM
TDC on 1 = adjust 1, 2, 4, 5, 8, 9
TDC on 6 = adjust 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 12
Adjust to 0.35mm ambient temp

Since I fitted my TD42T I did my tappets initially at 0.40. With my lack of TD42 knowledge, I found the engine a bit rattly so I adjusted them down to 0.30 in a process of elimination.
I couldn't hear any difference so I set them correctly to 0.35. Still didn't hear any difference in the rattling simply because it isn't the tappets..

tuckertrucker
2nd November 2015, 04:35 AM
haha well done. What was it in the end?
Thanks for those numbers.

jff45
2nd November 2015, 07:21 AM
What was it in the end? I came to the conclusion that it's the typical TD42 rattle amplified by the custom intake manifold.
I've learned to live with it and even starting to like it :)

What I won't live with is the awful high pitched whistle from the turbo..

BigRAWesty
2nd November 2015, 10:49 AM
What was it in the end? I came to the conclusion that it's the typical TD42 rattle amplified by the custom intake manifold.
I've learned to live with it and even starting to like it :)

I wish I had that problem... 😦

tuckertrucker
2nd November 2015, 06:47 PM

You certainly wouldn't like my truck then aye,, you'd hear me coming from miles away, the oldies reckon they sit round the table at dinner time and hear this truck flying past and are like "yep, thatll be dylan". But like you and your rattle, I've come to like it. Plus I can use it to tell about when I've got the right amount of throttle going in