PDA

View Full Version : Who's running an inverter and why

threedogs
29th October 2015, 01:59 PM
Just wondering how many are running an inverter [size] and powering what ??.
Trying to see if it would be advantageous having one, or make life easier at camp

Winnie
29th October 2015, 02:00 PM
I am thinking about getting a small one to charge camera batteries but that's the only reason I would have one. Everything I have is 12V

rusty_nail
29th October 2015, 02:10 PM
i have one, its come in handy before to charge laptops, power tool batteries and even once a small microwave. it doesnt get used much but its still handy to have. it is permanantly mounted behind the rear drivers side seat mine is 800w i think

threedogs
29th October 2015, 02:10 PM
I have a 300 watt job but have never used it .

lucus30
29th October 2015, 02:13 PM
I've got one but never used it. I got it to charge stuff like camera batteries. I always charge them up prior to leaving I guess I just haven't done a long enough trip to use it
My power tools I have a 12v cigarette lighter charger for them. I try to stick to 12v chargers and stuff if possible

threedogs
29th October 2015, 02:18 PM
suppose with solar now,, they are not really required as much

Throbbinhood
29th October 2015, 02:32 PM
I've got one, 600W. Use it to charge camera batteries, my cordless drill batteries, camping lanterns, 12v air pump, not to mention just normal AAA's for torches etc. Also for the laptop/gopro.
And at night, hook it up to the electric blanket. Nothing like sleeping in the snow in your undies and being as warm as toast.

4bye4
29th October 2015, 02:46 PM
I am thinking of installing a 500 or so behind the seats for charging batteries and the laptop on extended trips. I like rustys idea of the microwave but that might be a bit much I think. Don't know hae much power a microwave needs.

threedogs
29th October 2015, 02:49 PM
Minimum of 1000 watts with the engine going, depending on size
a few I know have a microwave in their tourer.

Way too much info on the undies bit LOL

lucus30
29th October 2015, 03:04 PM
I've got one, 600W. Use it to charge camera batteries, my cordless drill batteries, camping lanterns, 12v air pump, not to mention just normal AAA's for torches etc. Also for the laptop/gopro.
And at night, hook it up to the electric blanket. Nothing like sleeping in the snow in your undies and being as warm as toast.

gopro you can charge via ciggy. I don't use rechargeable batteries for my torches though i've thought about getting a head torch that charges off USB

the evil twin
29th October 2015, 03:05 PM
1,000 watts in my 'van.
Used it once to charge CB radio batteries because the CB mains charger does it in 1/10 the time the ciggy plug adapters will.
Once upon a time I used to carry a 300 watt in my Patrol but never used it so don't bother anymore.

Inverters are extremely inefficient, no biggee if you have the power to spare but if you are running close to capacity they are not that user friendly

TPC
29th October 2015, 03:50 PM
I charge the laptop, camera batteries and drill battery with mine.

4bye4
29th October 2015, 03:55 PM
I charge the laptop, camera batteries and drill battery with mine.

What size Tony

Throbbinhood
29th October 2015, 04:04 PM
gopro you can charge via ciggy. I don't use rechargeable batteries for my torches though i've thought about getting a head torch that charges off USB
You can, but I've got 3 go pro batteries, plus the go pro itself, so it's easier for me to just connect a powerboard and charge them all at once.

The real benefit for me is the electric blanket though.. It is almost the best camping mod I've done, it has made a world of difference to my comfort (and more importantly the missus). Love waking up in the morning feeling fresh, when everyone else is grumpy because they froze their asses off (moreso when they tease me for being soft the night before for using an elec blanket). The look on their faces is all the satisfaction I need.
I hate the restriction of sleeping bags, and the large pack up of foam mattresses, and I hate having to 'rug up' for bed. Packs up small, just have to take an extension lead with me, and a normal home blanket.
Plus having power in the tent means I can charge phones or whatever else I want in there.

Winnie
29th October 2015, 04:05 PM
Do you find the electric blanket kills your battery much?

Wizard52
29th October 2015, 04:10 PM
Most efficient way for laptops is a DC adopter for car from Jaycay or similar.
Just plug into 12volt and it comes with various sized plugs for different laptops and selects correct voltage- normally about 19volts.
Used it quite a bit when I was still working as mortgage broker when sitting on beach at Fraser on holidays but still needed to keep in contact each day. Now it is great when travelling to keep laptop charged.

TPC
29th October 2015, 04:18 PM
What size Tony

I currently just have a 300w one that works ok unless I want to charge two things at once which is annoying.
I am planning on buying a larger one, possibly 1500w before my next trip.

Throbbinhood
29th October 2015, 04:36 PM
Do you find the electric blanket kills your battery much?

I've been doing it for about a year now with no issues. I've got a 70ish ah lead acid starter battery as my second battery (it was second hand and I expected I'd kill it), but so far it's been working well.

I normally check the voltage in the morning, and it sits between 11.8-12v (Queen size electric blanket, both sides on for about 8-10 hours on low setting, with 30min on high to get the bed temp up). This usually also has my camp lights/rear LED reverse lights and radio's if I've got them going, and haven't had any issues so far. Been doing this for about a year, with no issues so far.
I generally drive when I'm away, so it has a chance to charge back up, and always gets put on a charger at home before/after trips.

I did a test at home, just to see how long i could theoretically run it. On low setting, got 3 x 8 hour nights on low, plus 3 x 30min warm ups, battery was down to 11.3v (this was with no driving/charging in between) - which I know is lower than I should go but that was a year ago and it's still working perfectly.
All this said, I don't run a fridge or anything, if I did I'd upgrade to a 120ah or similar, but for the moment this suits my needs fine. And always warm :D

Getaboutabit
29th October 2015, 04:48 PM
I use a 300watt to charge my touch screen used for explore oz
The inverter is switched on and off from the dash so it's not
charging all the time

threedogs
29th October 2015, 04:51 PM
You know everyone will run out and buy an electric blanket to take away.
Why not use a 12v blanket??

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HEATED-CAR-BLANKET-TRAVEL-RUG-SOFT-CARAVAN-FLEECE-ELECTRIC-THROW-12-VOLT-DC-AUTO-/171321511887?hash=item27e38ecfcf:g:BEQAAOSwdpxUXWk g

Throbbinhood
29th October 2015, 05:05 PM
You know everyone will run out and buy an electric blanket to take away.
Why not use a 12v blanket??

I tried a 12v cheapie, it was horrible, then a mate got a dearer one, and it still sucked. I already had the 240v one, but never thought of using it. Tried it at home with the inverter to 1) test that it worked and 2) that it didn't catch fire, and so far so good.

For anyone going to try it, just make sure your blanket suits your mattress (so it's all straight and not crinkled).
We put a thin blanket between the elec blanket and the air mattress, helps smooth out the lumps.

4bye4
29th October 2015, 05:20 PM
You can, but I've got 3 go pro batteries, plus the go pro itself, so it's easier for me to just connect a powerboard and charge them all at once.

The real benefit for me is the electric blanket though.. It is almost the best camping mod I've done, it has made a world of difference to my comfort (and more importantly the missus).

Important thing with the missus, either keep them warm or leave them home. I prefer the former.

DX grunt
29th October 2015, 05:53 PM
I've got a 1000w Projecta one. It's being wired up this weekend.

It says it can charge lotsa things, but I think I might invest in a small sine wave one for the delicate stuff.

Having said that, I will be hooking it up to my second battery, which also has the 2 x 120 w solar panels charging it, too.

I've heard this brand need fusing. Not sure how to do it, yet

Maxhead
29th October 2015, 07:09 PM
I got a 300w for general charging duties and a 2400w for my hairdryer :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

foggs
29th October 2015, 07:20 PM
I've almost finished installing mine at the back of the centre console, 300w for charging kids latops and devices. I couldn't think of what else I would use it for, so for now 300w will do.

I removed the ash tray and mounted the inverter face on there to make it look neat. I had to extend the cables so that I could hide the inverter further in. See photo's. I've since installed 2 USB chargers on each side, but haven't taken a photo yet.

62377 62378 62379

4bye4
29th October 2015, 07:25 PM
Very neat job mate.

paulyg
29th October 2015, 08:12 PM
I have an 1800 watt Projector pure sine wave inverter in the camper, for my coffee machine.

foggs
29th October 2015, 08:22 PM
I have an 1800 watt Projector pure sine wave inverter in the camper, for my coffee machine.

You have a coffee machine for offroad??? I need an offroad buddy like you :) what did it set you back?

You need to list the coffee machine in your signature :D

BigRAWesty
29th October 2015, 09:00 PM
You have a coffee machine for offroad??? I need an offroad buddy like you :) what did it set you back?

You need to list the coffee machine in your signature :D
A lot do.. some run inverters. Some run genies

tuckertrucker
30th October 2015, 09:05 AM
I've got a 300w one, I plan on mounting it behind the dash and mounting its face plate on the dash next to the glove box. I only use it for charging little things like a phone or GPS, I've also run outdoor lights off it.

I did look at getting 12v chargers but my ciggi lighter is 24v, and I've taken its power supply to power my lockup switch so 240v seemed like the next best option.

threedogs
30th October 2015, 09:43 AM
If I use a 300 watt inverter,, would it say,, charge a phone faster than using
a USB outlet on 12v

TPC
30th October 2015, 11:00 AM
If I use a 300 watt inveter,, would it say,, charge a phone faster than using
a USB outlet on 12v

That depends on the USB outlet, both the 12v and 240v USB sockets come in different ratings.

threedogs
30th October 2015, 01:01 PM
Now I have a 300 watt job if I insulate it with a piece of rubber matting
would it be ok to cable tie to the Cargo barrier using SS ties. Ive had it for ages
never used it. but there are no feet to mount it.

Throbbinhood
30th October 2015, 03:40 PM
Now I have a 300 watt job if I insulate it with a piece of rubber matting
would it be ok to cable tie to the Cargo barrier using SS ties. Ive had it for ages
never used it. but there are no feet to mount it.
To soften vibration? Just make sure it still has good airflow, I know mine warms up when I'm pushing it - it's got a thermal cut out that I've never hit, but better safe than sorry.
Mine is mounted on the outside of my draws (behind the rear seats). It just had a little frame thing that I drilled screws through and into the draws, never had an issue.
I also made up a little plastic protection thing to help keep things off it/keep airflow around it and hopefully provide a bit of protection (my rear fuse block also sits there).
Something like this, but a bit smaller.

threedogs
30th October 2015, 03:50 PM
what size wire ?? would 6mm be ok from AUX to the Cargo barrier.
Easy enough to protect it, might even fit a small computer fan to
help keep it cool

Throbbinhood
30th October 2015, 04:12 PM
what size wire ?? would 6mm be ok from AUX to the Cargo barrier.
Easy enough to protect it, might even fit a small computer fan to
help keep it cool

Not sure what 6mm equates to, but 300w/12v is 25a, so 30a wire should be sufficient.
Pretty sure I ran 100-110a cable (cant remember exactly) from second battery to a fuse/distro block, and then a 60a cable from the block to the inverter.
Make sure to fuse things up close to the battery.

Stropp
30th October 2015, 04:12 PM
i bought a cheapie $98 chinese 1500w to max 3000w pure sine inverter and use it charge batteries etc and run the coffee machine its been in for well over a year now, copy below.

ORDER DATE
23 Nov, 2013

ORDER TOTAL
AU $98.10
See description
Order 1500W(3000W) 12V-240V Power INVERTER Car Boat Caravan
View similar items - ORDER DATE 23 Nov, 2013
View seller's other items - ORDER DATE 23 Nov, 2013
More actions - ORDER DATE 23 Nov, 2013
1 item sold by bit_deals
1500W(3000W) 12V-240V Power INVERTER Car Boat Caravan
1500W(3000W) 12V-240V Power INVERTER Car Boat Caravan
( 270955177129 )
Add note
ITEM PRICE:
AU $98.10

paulyg
30th October 2015, 08:23 PM
When I ordered the camper, I upgraded the Inverter from the original 600 watt to the 1800 watt model just for the coffee machine.
The coffee machine needs 1500 watts, that's a lot of power from the batterys, but it takes less than 2 minutes to make a coffee, so for my setup its manageable.
The first coffee machine I had was from Aldi about $75, not bad coffee.
I now have a Delonghi one a lot dearer, but I don't have to clean the milk frother every time I use it, a quick rinse and the hole thing with the milk in it can go back in the fridge.

threedogs
31st October 2015, 03:36 PM
When I ordered the camper, I upgraded the Inverter from the original 600 watt to the 1800 watt model just for the coffee machine.
The coffee machine needs 1500 watts, that's a lot of power from the batterys, but it takes less than 2 minutes to make a coffee, so for my setup its manageable.
The first coffee machine I had was from Aldi about $75, not bad coffee.
I now have a Delonghi one a lot dearer, but I don't have to clean the milk frother every time I use it, a quick rinse and the hole thing with the milk in it can go back in the fridge.

Need a pic of this "coffee machine" in action.
nothing like Glamping in style

DX grunt
31st October 2015, 10:45 PM
Just received my 150amp manual reset circuit breaker for my 1000w inverter.

Looks more like and big enough like something that should be used in my house. lol

dom14
6th November 2015, 06:31 AM
I can't imagine going on a trip without an inverter. I'm surprised to hear some of you guys who have a one rarely uses it.
Some of our little mains power gadgets that we like to take with us would depend on having a functioning inverter. Cameras, camcorders, laptops, etc etc. It's true many little gadgets like mobile phones, tablets now come with 12V to 5V USB charging adapters. But, many other gadgets still depend on having access to mains power. I use one modified sine wave one and a one true sine wave one. There're higher wattage low frequency ones that are good with high power demanding appliances, but they are usually dearer.

blocko05
6th November 2015, 10:31 AM
I have a 300w one just to charge the laptop and camera batteries, otherwise everything else is 12V.

TimE
6th November 2015, 11:42 AM
I have a 300w one just to charge the laptop and camera batteries, otherwise everything else is 12V.

X 2 when remote.

threedogs
6th November 2015, 08:18 PM
If running a 1000 watt inverter would it use more battery power
than a 300 watt unit charging the same thing???
sorry dumb question I know

the evil twin
6th November 2015, 08:32 PM
If running a 1000 watt inverter would it use more battery power
than a 300 watt unit charging the same thing???
sorry dumb question I know

Depends...

Probably the quality of the Inverters more than anything else.
They are inefficient things anyway so an elcheapo will probably draw more than a quality unit no matter the ratings and all else being equal.
Inverters 'tend' to be most efficient around the upper part of their specs so it can be a swings and roundabouts situation.

Bottom line, I doubt you would see all that much difference between the two out in the field.

threedogs
16th November 2015, 04:21 PM
@ ET If Im going to buy a larger inverter for say a "coffee machine" which is better
a sine wave or modified sine wave,

paulyg
16th November 2015, 08:51 PM
3d i would go a pure sine-wave inverter, even if you don't relay need it now, you might in the future.

the evil twin
16th November 2015, 09:05 PM
Agree... pure sine wave will work fine, modified sine wave can be a bit of a risk in this day and age

HuskyInAuz
17th November 2015, 02:14 PM
We had a 1200 watt pure sine in the Camper Trailer with two 120aH batteries. Used it to charge up the laptops/tablets and run coffee grinder.
In the caravan at the farm we have a 2800 watt Magnum with 600 aH battery bank (6 x 6vdc) yes, we use a coffee machine there and a toaster but not at the same time. Switched all the halogen lights over to LED.. If the bloody heater wasn't running all the time we'd get quite a few days worth of power out of the battery bank, now it's generator time once a day.