PDA

View Full Version : New to forum, looking for a Patrol

Wrighty
29th October 2015, 10:47 AM
Hey guys thanks for this great forum, It has some interesting reading.
I'm from Melbourne and in the market for a 4x4. I have been looking for some between cruisers Patrol and yes pajeros. In all I like the off road ability and looks of the patrol. My budget was )$15000 but I can push to $20000 for the right car. I'm looking for something that will last me at least 10 years and at least 150,000km. Any thoughts, duel fuel 4.5 or 4.8 or 3lt diesel. I'm interested in an auto so I suppose the 4.2 is out of the question.
Cheers

4bye4
29th October 2015, 11:22 AM
G'day mate and welcome to the forum. i would be looking at Diesel but I am biased. A late model 2007+ 3ltr should be OK but not sure what prices are like there.

threedogs
29th October 2015, 11:41 AM
Hello and welcome to the Forum, yeah buy as late as you can and I stress history, history, history.
ask as many questions as you like, but most of just enjoy yourself.

Rock Trol
29th October 2015, 04:45 PM
Welcome to the forum. If you want reliability then either of the two petrol motors will do. If thinking of the 3 litre then common rail is the go. The earlier Di motors had a tendency to melt pistons. Not all of them did, but it is a risk. The crd has some niggling problems as well but doesn't tend to blow up like the 3 ltr Di motor.

Wrighty
29th October 2015, 05:08 PM
Welcome to the forum. If you want reliability then either of the two petrol motors will do. If thinking of the 3 litre then common rail is the go. The earlier Di motors had a tendency to melt pistons. Not all of them did, but it is a risk. The crd has some niggling problems as well but doesn't tend to blow up like the 3 ltr Di motor.

Is either ok on gas, or is one better on gas then the other? Do the valve seats wear like the cruiser on gas?

I am looking at a 2003 series 3. Apparently "only road driving" and stock. I was thinking about raising it, adding a catch can and EGT gauge. With proper maintenance and a watchful eye stop the thing from melting things?

4bye4
29th October 2015, 05:23 PM
Is either ok on gas, or is one better on gas then the other? Do the valve seats wear like the cruiser on gas?

I am looking at a 2003 series 3. Apparently "only road driving" and stock. I was thinking about raising it, adding a catch can and EGT gauge. With proper maintenance and a watchful eye stop the thing from melting things?

If you are going to get a 3lt Di, the GU3 would be the earliest one i would buy. Still worth putting the NADS mods in though. Earlier than that the risk is higher and definatly put NADS in. IMHO

Rock Trol
29th October 2015, 05:24 PM
Not sure with gas on these engines. No experience. With the 3 litre if you are prepared to do the work such as clean intake manifold, daws valve, intercooler if needed, egr blank etc the should be ok....but no guarantee. In that case go for it. The diesel will use a lot less fuel than the petrol.

Wrighty
29th October 2015, 05:27 PM
If you are going to get a 3lt Di, the GU3 would be the earliest one i would buy. Still worth putting the NADS mods in though. Earlier than that the risk is higher and definatly put NADS in. IMHO

Thanks mate, I only read about bad experiences, I have some colleges state that they had a series 3 and series 7 detonate while normal driving. This is an original engine, is it likely to pop in the next 200k? Do the nads fixed the issues (along with proper maintenance.) I'm not biased about with petrol or diesel, but petrol will have to be on gas for economic reasons.

Wrighty
29th October 2015, 05:29 PM
Also if the thing does melt a piston or two, how much to replace the engine(on average)?
Cheers.

Rock Trol
29th October 2015, 05:35 PM
You will mainly hear the horror stories about the zd30 engine on forums. Plenty have done big kms without mods. If you are not towing heavy vans then it should be ok especially after doing the nads. The problem is that this engine can over fuel when worked hard and it doesn't have much protection in built to stop it.

The crd is better in that its fuel control is better and it has more built in protection that cuts power when it detects certain parameters are not quite right.

4bye4
29th October 2015, 06:01 PM
Thanks mate, I only read about bad experiences, I have some colleges state that they had a series 3 and series 7 detonate while normal driving. This is an original engine, is it likely to pop in the next 200k? Do the nads fixed the issues (along with proper maintenance.) I'm not biased about with petrol or diesel, but petrol will have to be on gas for economic reasons.

As Roc Trol indicates its blowen out of proportion, probably because those that don't blow up don't get talked about on forums. There is a problem and it was worse in GU1 and GU2. factory mode reduced the occurance in Gu3 and by GU4 it was not too prevelant. I believe it is worth doing NADS to any 3l Di, regardless of build year. Having said that I have not got around to fitting NADS yet and have done several 5 to 6 hour trips at 100kph plus and only fuel stops with no truble whatever. i would suggest that a Gu7 or series 7 detonation would be really unusual as this is the CRD motor and does not have that reputation at all. Series 3 maybe but less common than earlier motors.

Cost to rebuild or replace seems to go from $6000ish up, depending on quality and who is doing it. Thaat is just for the motor, R and R, and bolting on bits like alternators, air con, intercooler etc may be additional cost unless you can do it yourself. Plus transport and if you are unlucky enough - towing. not trying to scare you - that is worst case.

Wrighty
29th October 2015, 06:18 PM
Thanks Guys, do you think the 3lt with auto will have a longer work life then the 4.5 or 4.8. Again if well maintained.

tuckertrucker
29th October 2015, 06:40 PM
Welcome to the forum mate, but am I missing something? Why are we forgetting the TD42? Diesel, 4.2L, excellent reliability and power, and no real tendencies to blow themselves up.

Dhuck
29th October 2015, 07:41 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.

Wrighty
29th October 2015, 07:49 PM
Welcome to the forum mate, but am I missing something? Why are we forgetting the TD42? Diesel, 4.2L, excellent reliability and power, and no real tendencies to blow themselves up.

Cost I guess, that and I haven't seen any with an auto under $20k other then a gq aspirated one. But saying that are they as effiecent as the 3lt economy and servicing?

Wrighty
29th October 2015, 07:56 PM
Cheers again for the welcomes guys

katwoman
30th October 2015, 04:00 AM
Cost I guess, that and I haven't seen any with an auto under $20k other then a gq aspirated one. But saying that are they as effiecent as the 3lt economy and servicing?

Welcome. TD42 cost about the same to run as the 3L. Not sure if they come in auto tho.. And they are coming down in price. If you look hard enough and have patience they come up for under $20k.

blocko05
30th October 2015, 06:06 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum mate. You should be able to tick all the box's that you want for your price range.

Just A Troll
30th October 2015, 02:13 PM
Blimey! Plenty of info already! Enjoy ...

Wrighty
30th October 2015, 11:09 PM
Thanks for all of the info.
It's strange I have spoken to diesel mechanics, car sales and veteran 4x4 owners and on average every second person says either the 3lt is a great motor if serviced properly and won't let you down, or it will deffiently letme down by melting a piston or throwing a turbo blade. It's a bit like being at a state government forum one person always contradicts the person before them????
But this forum has been great. Not sure if the 3lt is for me. And I have not found any 4.2 turbo autos.
Thanks again everyone.

4bye4
30th October 2015, 11:30 PM
Thanks for all of the info.
It's strange I have spoken to diesel mechanics, car sales and veteran 4x4 owners and on average every second person says either the 3lt is a great motor if serviced properly and won't let you down, or it will deffiently letme down by melting a piston or throwing a turbo blade. It's a bit like being at a state government forum one person always contradicts the person before them????
But this forum has been great. Not sure if the 3lt is for me. And I have not found any 4.2 turbo autos.
Thanks again everyone.

The longer you go the more conflicting information you will get. I kind of indicated that when I first posted on your thread. Fact remains that yes the earlier Di 3 ltrs had a higher "detonation" rate then should be expected but they improved as the years went on. That is the melting piston bit. NADS mods can help that, I think there is enough evidence of that. Turbo blades? any turbo can do that and I am not aware that the 3ltr is any more prone to it than any other. At the end of the day you will have to go with your gut feeling, but remember the more you read the percentage for and against will still be about the same. Good luck in you hunting mate.

Clunk
31st October 2015, 01:27 AM
Oh and the Toyota's Di-D has a problem with going pop too..... its .not just a Nissan phenomenon. The tb45 and tb48 although thirsty are great motors, the tb48 being the powerhouse. Pretty sure the td42 gu didnt ever come out with auto.

Welcome aboard and happy hunting

tuckertrucker
31st October 2015, 07:43 AM
Welcome. TD42 cost about the same to run as the 3L. Not sure if they come in auto tho.. And they are coming down in price. If you look hard enough and have patience they come up for under $20k.

yeah not sure if there are any QU TD42 autos, but loads of GQ TD42 Autos.

growler2058
31st October 2015, 01:01 PM
G'day welcome aboard mate